who set up as new vs icloud backup

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by white4s, Sep 25, 2013.

1. white4s macrumors 65816

got my 5s today so instead of setting up as new like i originally wanted to i took the shortcut and did the icloud backup. now my 4s wasn't running the best so i'm afraid that the icloud backup also transferred the problems it had

would that be possible?

2. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

No issues should be transferred, although I always setup as new

3. hxcdave macrumors newbie

What confuses me is if you set up as new, wont all contacts, all pictures just be completely gone for you to have to do over again? I mean I wanna set up as new but the ammount of contacts i have, i cant reput those in

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Depends on how you're setup. I use iCloud so my contacts are always in the cloud. Once you setup as new device and login, all contacts, etc will still be restored to your phone. If you have photo stream enabled the pictures located there will be restored as well. Pictures outside of photo stream would not be restored. It all depends on your setup.

5. hxcdave macrumors newbie

Im restoring using iCloud for the first time now, mainly because of the Message usage problem that says i have 1.2 gb of messages so its taking up space. But yeah, i just read to back up contacts in like mail and all. I dont use photo stream anymore, it was really annoying to me saving every photo i took, even after i got rid of them in the main folder for them. I mean, I have apps that i dont feel like downloading again like my photo apps and etc, so much hassle but eventually, Im going to have to do this so I wanted to ask and see what happens because theres so many mixed answers

6. white4s thread starter macrumors 65816

ahh didn't know you could still restore from icloud while setting up as new. woulda just transferred contacts and reinstall everything else

this was my first time going from iphone to iphone. now i know

----------

i have the same exact thing with the usage and messages, wasn't there before. deleted some messages but still says 1.3gb?

7. hxcdave macrumors newbie

i would refer you to another post, but I will just tell you what worked PERFECTLY for me just now. I mean my icloud back up is taking more time then a regular back up, but heres how you fix it. Back up through iCloud and restore, an when it asks how you want to restore, do your recent icloud. Apperently there was a glitch in 6.0.1 and all, and the reason this other time the 'other' that was taking up space was mainly old messages. it would save imessages and attachments from that time, so this is the only way i could find to help fix my space problem. I got my messages down to 9 mb

8. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Its a good idea and a known fix to "reset all settings" after you restore a backup to a new iOS version. That simply defaults any settings to Apples standards and clears out old settings info or issues. It keeps all your data and apps. Simply go back through settings and set back like you want (including any new ones that didn't exist in prior version) Also set wall paper and any wifi networks. That's it! ALOT easier than adding back all apps and stuff manually.