Who should be allowed to set digital retail prices for consumers?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by EbookReader, May 31, 2013.

?

Who should be allowed to set digital retail prices for consumers?

1. Digital Retailers (Itunes, Amazon, GooglePlay etc...)

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. Digital Content holders (movie studios, music labels, book publishers etc...)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. EbookReader macrumors 65816

With physical products, the one who set the retail prices are the physical retailers (Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Kroger, Amazon etc....).

With digital products, who should be allowed to set digital retail prices for consumers?

2. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

The DOJ lawsuit versus Apple will have a big effect on the future of digital retail pricing.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57586765-37/apple-and-the-doj-face-off-over-e-book-prices-faq/

Content holders setting the price: each digital retailers are guaranteed 30% cut. Same price at every retailers.

Retailers setting the price: consumers will see sales competition. Discounts will often take place in a wholesale model.

3. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I'm really not sure what to answer...of course I want what's best for me a consumer but I am not informed enough to answer your poll.

4. EbookReader, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013

EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's the current price setters:

Digital music: the digital retailers set the price

Digital movies: the digital retailers set the price

Digital books: the digital retailers set the price, then it was the content holders through price fixing, now it's the digital retailers again after the 5 Big Publishers settled with the DOJ and the EU.

Digital video games: the digital retailers set the price

Mobile apps: the content holders set the price

Digital Retailers are the like of Apple Itunes, Google Play, Amazon, Sony, Nook, Kobo, Samsung etc...who are selling digital goods like music, movies, gaming, books, apps etc..

Basically, do you want the like of 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros., Paramount, Walt Disney, Sony and Universal to set the retail price of a movie that you buy

or

do you want these major movie studios to sell the digital movies to digital retailers at wholesales, who then set the price for consumers?

In the physical media world, the movie studios sell their DVD/Blu-ray to retailers (Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy etc...) at wholesale prices. These retailers will then determine their prices to the consumers.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The retailer I would think? The way Apple does it, they're actually making money, unlike Amazon.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The digital retailer. They are the ones that are hosting the files, creating the transaction, customer service if something is wrong, etc.

7. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Well, going by the arguments put forth on this thread, I'd have to go with the retailers then.