Who Should I Believe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nateharr, Sep 19, 2009.

1. nateharr macrumors 6502

I ordered my MacBook Pro yesterday. I know it's stupid to order on Fridays but it's all I could manage. I also ordered with 2 to 3 day shipping. It shipped early this morning.

The email from Apple says it will "deliver by Sept 21st" while the FedEx tracking says the anticipated shipping date is "Sep 23, 2009 by 10:30 AM."

Either would be great, but I would like to know who is typically more correct in this situation.

I had the same problem when ordering my iPhone 3GS. FedEx said it would arrive later than Apple promised, but it still arrived on the Friday launch date.

Please note that the MBP is coming from Shanghai, China. (Which I believe is the same place my 3GS came from, but I could be mistaken.)

EDIT: Ok, this is weird. I thought FedEx didn't ship on Sundays.

So far today it's gone from Anchorage to Memphis. (It doesn't show on my tracking that it's in Memphis, but the flight has landed. I tracked it.)

Will it stop at Memphis and stay there for the rest of the day, or will it keep going? I live in Northern Louisiana and it would be OUTSTANDING if I got it tomorrow.

When I ordered my iPhone 3GS it left Memphis the same day I received it.

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd believe FedEx's shipping information over Apple's, since they're the ones doing the delivery.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd believe the later of two dates because heaven forbid it doesn't arrive on the 21st, if you're a bit jittery I'm sure you'll be annoyed. Project for 9/23.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree with macflynn. When it's shipped, it's on FedEx's hands

5. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, thanks. I guess it's always better to not get your hopes up and be grateful if you're surprised.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

The last two computers I've ordered from Apple were delivered a day early from FedEx, compared to FedExs own delivery date estimate on their site.

I'm with Jessica. Project for the later date. If it comes before, that's awesome. If not, no dissapointment! :)

7. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

And this isn't UPS we're talking about. I always get my UPS deliveries at 7:30PM or later. FedEx promises before 10:30AM so someone will be here to sign for it.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ahem

maflynn, not macflynn ;)

9. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, this is weird. I thought FedEx didn't ship on Sundays.

So far today it's gone from Anchorage to Memphis. (It doesn't show on my tracking that it's in Memphis, but the flight has landed. I tracked it.)

Will it stop at Memphis and stay there for the rest of the day, or will it keep going? I live in Northern Louisiana and it would be OUTSTANDING if I got it tomorrow.

When I ordered my iPhone 3GS it left Memphis the same day I received it.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The longer one because they're shipping it not Apple

11. Ptyger macrumors member

Ptyger

If it's shipping from China, which I believe it is based on it going through Anchorage, then it's technically Monday there ... Although only by a few hours. Also, it may just be different in China, work-wise; that is, Sunday may not be an off day there. I'm not exactly sure, but it has to be something like that.

12. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

True, but it was in Anchorage this morning (Sunday) and it left Anchorage this morning. So someone in a America is working on shipping it, which I thought didn't happen on Sundays.

So why should it stop at Memphis? Will it stop at Memphis, or keep heading my way?

I know I sound selfish. :eek: But it's my first Mac and I'm so freaking excited...

13. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

You might find that the background processes of moving delivering packages is a 7day a week operation, but delivery doesn't happen on a Sunday

Use this time to decide on your first steps. Are you going to re-install to remove unneeded components? What apps do you need? Do you know where to get them before? Have you read some of the switcher help guides to help prepare you for a new OS?

I did some of the above, and played on a friends MBP, so when mine arrived, it wasn't a shock. Still had lots to learn, but transition was easy due to prepartion

14. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not too worried about the transition. I've watched hours of Mac tutorials on the Apple website and YouTube. I also have two means of transferring my data over.

I play with the Best Buy Macs all the time so I know the basics. I guess I'm a little too anxious. It will come when it comes...

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Believe FedEx, but one thing that I notice with FedEx is that their estimated arrival date has a tendency to change a little bit, I have never seen it originally say one day and then change to a later date, but I have seen them change the date to an earlier date by a day or two several times, especially when the package is traveling cross-country. I currently have an item shipping from Speck from CA to NH and the original date that was expected for delivery was the 24th, and after a day or two while shipping it changed to the 23rd. So keep an eye on the shipping status.

But overall, trust FedEx's info more than Apple's for delivery date.

16. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in shock. (Not really.)

My MBP left Memphis. I knew from the beginning the Memphis was a destination and I was going to be excited if my package got there by Monday. (Because that would mean I might get it Monday or Tuesday.)

I'm now confident I'll get it tomorrow.

FedEx still says "by 10:30 Sept 23rd" but I'm starting to believe Apple.

Holy gosh I'm excited...!

17. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

Congrats on your macbook pro order! I ordered mine on Monday, 09/21, and also opted for the 2 day shipping. However, mine did not even ship out until today, 09/24, and won't arrive until next Tuesday, 09/28. I'm not a rocket scientist or anything but I believe that's more like 7 or 8 days instead of the 2 day shipping I paid for. I'm not happy about this at all. I was hoping to have it by this Friday at the latest.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

Did you customize it? All of the MacBook Pros show that the stock models ship within 24 hours.

But yeah, the shipping days start after it's been shipped. So if they shipped it on Thursday the 24th, then Friday the 25th is day#1 and Monday the 28th is day#2. :(

19. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

Yeah, I had it customized but the only thing I changed upgraded to was the anti-glare screen and the 7200 rpm HD. I didn't think it would take 3 days to finish those 2 small upgrades considering the anti-glare option is a standard option. Oh well, I guess I'm just too anxious to get it. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas day. :)

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

Trust me, I know the feeling. :)

I ordered an Air once (said ships usually in 24 hours), and also ordered the USB Ethernet adapter (a totally separate product). Turns out if you do that, it counts as a custom config -- they put the USB Ethernet in the stupid laptop box instead of just shipping it separate. That added four extra days of wait. :eek:

Hopefully you can find something to distract you over the weekend (if it doesn't magically show up on Friday)!

21. danimal99 macrumors regular

So what day did you receive it?

By the way, for future reference the best way to order one (if getting a standard configuration, that is) is through Amazon, especially if you have Amazon Prime shipping. Anything next day is $3.99, and no tax. :) That's how I ordered my 13" MBP, standard - I added the RAM and a 320G HD afterward for cheaper.

22. nateharr thread starter macrumors 6502

I received it Monday. I'm on it now actually.

I don't think I've ever been in love with a machine, but that has all changed now...