Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
So here I am, waiting for my new Macbook.
I sold my old Air and my old gaming PC to help finance a new 15" Pro.
I sold them two months ago.
In other words, my 64GB iPad 2 has been my main computer for two months
I bought this thing the very second it was announced but it's still almost good as new (a couple of scratches in the glass :()
But gosh all mighty diddle de dee does this thing show it's age.

For the last year before it became my main computational device I used my iPad exclusively for reading comic books and stored articles in bed. A task it excells at, might I add.

But web browsing has become a total pain in the anus (painus?).
It's just sooo slooow! -and I have a fast Internet connection.
The only reliably fast and stable browser is Safari, I find.
Sadly though a lot of (bloody ALL of them) web pages rely on scripts that run animated banners, adds and God knows what that taxes my ailing iPad 2 to it's knees.
Web pages frequently crash, requiring a reload, and typing in search-fields on some pages is a painfull exersice in patience.
And old tabs need to be reloaded almost immediatly after leaving them.

Battery life is also showing signs of decreasing. But that might be just because I use it all day now, as opposed to only in bed or at the office (who are we kidding, I mean the toilet).

To free up resources and save battery life I've turned of paralax and transparency, no background updating, reduced Spotlight search to only include apps, and no app update auto downloads.
But web browsing is still slow as ...something really slow.

So, anyone else out there still spending quality time with their iPad 2?

Got any good tips on how to speed it up? :)

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I bought this thing the very second it was announced but it's still almost good as new (a couple of scratches in the glass :()

For the last year before it became my main computational device I used my iPad exclusively for reading comic books and stored articles in bed. A task it excells at, might I add.

Sadly though a lot of (bloody ALL of them) web pages rely on scripts that run animated banners, adds and God knows what that taxes my ailing iPad 2 to it's knees.
Web pages frequently crash, requiring a reload, and typing in search-fields on some pages is a painfull exersice in patience.

Battery life is also showing signs of decreasing. But that might be just because I use it all day now, as opposed to only in bed or at the office (who are we kidding, I mean the toilet).

To free up resources and save battery life I've turned of paralax and transparency, no background updating, reduced Spotlight search to only include apps, and no app update auto downloads.

A family member has my iPad 2, still using it, but she kept it on 7, so it is still usable (well, for her basic needs).

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
I am hanging on to my iPad 2 by my fingernails.

If I hadn't just upgraded <lots of Apple things> and bought an Apple Watch I would have upgraded my iPad 2 by now.

I have instead resolved to buy the next iteration of iPad, whatever it might be called.

Stock market analysts have long been fond of suggesting that iPad has a longer upgrade cycle than iPhone. I think they're right and that a lot of people are in the same "iPad 2 boat" - and are now poised on the verge of upgrading.

= good upcoming news for Apple shares? ;)

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Of course people are in the same iPad 2 boat. Hell, my mom uses one every day. It's still being sold as it's still a really great device. I have this feeling though that when Apple announces the new iPads the iPad 2 will be dropped in favor of the iPad Air. Same goes for the iPad mini 1st gen.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Of course people are in the same iPad 2 boat. Hell, my mom uses one every day. It's still being sold as it's still a really great device. I have this feeling though that when Apple announces the new iPads the iPad 2 will be dropped in favor of the iPad Air. Same goes for the iPad mini 1st gen.

Of course, this was meant as an "iPad 2 users REPRESENT!" not "Ugh, who the hell still uses this ancient stone tablet?!" ;)

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Of course people are in the same iPad 2 boat. Hell, my mom uses one every day. ...

The boat I'm referring to is people who have an iPad 2 at present, but who will definitely upgrade when the next iPad launches.

There are plenty of other people in the "keeping their iPad 2 and perfectly happy with it" boat.

I should really have upgraded before now for work purposes, but there's only so much money I can send Apple's way in a year :)

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Since 8.3, the iPad 2 we have in the household actually runs decently. No, not as well as the Air or the 4 but it gets the job done. I suspect that very soon though it will be dropped from OS support and at that point it will miss out on new features.

Still, it's a good tablet and plenty of them are still in service.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
I just upgraded to a iPad Mini 2.

It is so much faster and pleasant to use. Guess I will retire the ipad2. I thought I would buy the next bigger iPad this fall, but got used the mini now and it is so light and small.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I have an iPad Mini with the A5 (same as iPad 2). The best running browser is Puffin Browser. It just streams a browser into my screen from a remote computer, so really the only work the iPad Mini has to do is process the image of the stream and stream the information. All the legwork is being done by a computer on a server somewhere else, "in the cloud" so to speak.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Two iPad minis and an iPad 2 at home. All three are going very strong. No complaints.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iPad 2 here. Still the iPad with the single highest market share :D

There are some safari settings that can be turned off to get a speed improvement... A clean install also helps.

I find that my iPad 2 is still completely usable with iOS 8. It could be a big faster but hopefully Apple's new optimisation approach with iOS 9 could give a small speed boost.

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2015
Ipad 2 wont get IOS 9 , it only has 512 GB of RAM...I doubt that will support IOS 9... In the beggining of the year, I heard that only 64 bit devices will get IOS 9..And now Iheard another rumor that A5 devices will get IOS 9...my prediction for IOS 9- Ipad 3 and up, Iphone 5 and up

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Ipad 2 wont get IOS 9 , it only has 512 GB of RAM...I doubt that will support IOS 9... In the beggining of the year, I heard that only 64 bit devices will get IOS 9..And now Iheard another rumor that A5 devices will get IOS 9...my prediction for IOS 9- Ipad 3 and up, Iphone 5 and up
If iOS 9 is going to be the "Snow Leopard" release (clean up and tighten up the code), then there is a good possibility of it being available for the iPad 2.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Happily using mine every day (cellular, iOS 7.1.1) both at home and at my office. It works fine and I really have no reason to replace it. Safari has been a bit wonky lately with crashing, but I just clear out the history and cookies/data and it seems to help.

Admittedly, I have been thinking about getting a cellular Mini, but simply because it's smaller and and will fit inside my purse. Just thinking about it at this point.

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I use my iPad 2 for my at-work iPad- note taking, occasional browsing and such. It serves quite nicely for my needs, though I am under no illusion its age is showing. It's just that there is no issue with how it performs in that role for me.

HungarianStan

macrumors member
May 23, 2015
Hungary
The wife and I have iPad minis (1st gen) and our daughter has an iPad 2. All going strong and working perfectly fine. The wife and I also have iPhone 4s' and both are also just fine. I imagine, with so many people owning iPad 2s and minis, that we'll get at least one more OS upgrade.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
iPad 2 will get iOS 9, confirmed at bottom of this page: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios9-preview/

I still have the iPad 2 that I got on on first day available, I heavily used it 3 years and battery still good, it's my "backup" iPad now. I made a few little settings adjustments such as are commonly suggested for better performance and it works acceptably, although an iPad Air is what I generally use. iPad 2 is still on iOS 7, but I think I'm going to update it to to iOS 8.

jfgp

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015

To free up resources and save battery life I've turned of paralax and transparency, no background uhttp://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/12/16/ipad-2-ios-8-1-2-reviews/pdating, reduced Spotlight search to only include apps, and no app update auto downloads.

i found these tips on how to speed up the ipad 2 that is running IOS 8
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/09/how-to-get-better-ios-8-performance-on-ipad-2-ipad-3/

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida

Use

Use the icon that appears in the left corner of the address bar to pull up a view stripped of the animated ads that are drawing resources.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Use

Use the icon that appears in the left corner of the address bar to pull up a view stripped of the animated ads that are drawing resources.
The Reader option is a nice option, I keep forgetting to use it.
It doesn't work for navigation though, I still have to suffer through crashing pages and ads to get where I want to go.
This forum for instance is a massive pain on my iPad 2, every other loaded page ends in a page crash and a forced refresh of the page.
-Chrome is far worse; total app crash.

saldawop

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2007
iPad 2 used every day in my house. Only as a web browser and video/music player, and maybe the odd simple game.Just bought an iPad mini 2 today ,just to have lying around the house for more of the same thing really.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
We are still using our iPad2 daily for quick internet searches and minor tasks. It was purchased shortly after launch day. It's slow as hell and it frustrates the crap out of me when I am doing anything on it. Sometimes it gets so bad, that I give up and put it away. I've tried all the tips and suggestions here. I think I was the happiest when I was using my original iPad Mini but I sold it to help pay for my Macbook Pro Retina. I miss the compact size and lightness of the mini. Perhaps I should get a new updated Mini since I don't see myself ever getting an iPhone 6 Plus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.