Who still has good old PS2 and GC ?

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Just wondering. I've got a Mac and two consoles, a PS2 and a GC.

I have nothing but AAA-titles on both consoles (Tekken 5, GT4, God of War, FF12, Zelda, Mario sunshine, metroid prime 1 & 2, etc.), about 25 in total.

Anyone here still appreciating these "classics" or have you all been seduced by Wii, Xbox360 or PS3 ? For the moment, I see no reason to "upgrade" as the new consoles offer just more of the same, only with better graphics (not counting that weird Wii thingy - Nintendo, please go back to making REAL games, although I have to say the new Mario (galaxy) games look cool).

Taustin Powers

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2005
I still have my PS2 and also a SNES. I use and still enjoy both occasionally, but most of my gaming these days is done on the PS3.

txa1265

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
We actually just bought my younger son a brand new PS2-slim (yes, Sony still makes them!) for his birthday in late February, and have been stocking up on games. He is huge into Kingdom Hearts, so we haev gotten all 3 of those games, plus FF XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Katamari, GT4, Rogue Galaxy, a Sonic Mega collection, and a few others that escape me ... all used games.

... Goozex is my friend ... :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have all my old systems, barring my N64 which the girlfriend has now. I still play them too. More so than the current gen.

Oh and FWIW Nintendo do make real games. It's other developers that aren't.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Oh and FWIW Nintendo do make real games. It's other developers that aren't.
Yes, sorry about that. I stand corrected.

In fact, I love Nintendo games, I just don't like all that family Wii stuff. Now all of a sudden, gaming isn't geeky or antisocial anymore.

Come on, gimme a break...

txa1265

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Not me... sold my ps2 when i bought my ps3 (plays ps2 games). Sold my GC when i bought my wii (plays gc games).
Sadly, unless you were an early adopter of the PS3 (i.e. when it cost too much and offered too little), for the last ~2.5 years the statement would be "ps3 (DOESN'T play ps2 games)"

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
i've got a original playstation, the boxy one, but seem to have lost resident evil 2 for it, and looking for gran turismo 2 after my disc wore out haha
got a silver playstation 2 not the slim-line one, those things like to cook themselves lol
and a PS3 but it dont play PS2 games Hence i still have my PS2 lol

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I have an NES and Genesis in my basement, complete with Duck Hunt and the gun and a few arcade style controllers.

Up stairs i have a N64, PS2, XBOX, and a guy at work said he will sell me his gamecube super cheap ($10) if i mod his wii.

I have all the current gen consoles as well, which is actually the first time i've had all the current consoles during that generation. If i had a SNES i would have a pretty complete collection.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I still have my PS2 and all the Nintendo consoles except the Gamecube. Used to have a Gamecube but sold it because the Wii plays Gamecube games.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I will keep my GC for Metroid
Metroid Prime on GC is my favorite game of all time (it used to be Zelda 3 - A Link to the Past on SNES). Runners up are Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7 on PSOne and Super Mario 64 on N64. Sadly, I no longer have my N64, SNES or PSOne.
Thank god for SNES9x !

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
I've only played the (meh) PSP remake ... how are those games? I see they are 'M' rated ... how is the content?
The series changes really drastically with 3. I never got into the first game either (which is the remake). P3 is really well done but lacks the battle refinements that make P4 much better. I would say pick up P4, then if you dig it, pick up the P3 remake which is coming to PSP in July as they have added a new female main character (if you don't wanna be the emo dude) plus all the new battle system fixes that were in P4.

I'm not 100% sure on the M rating. There is some swearing (harshest word being s***), some blood... I think.... and some anime girls in a bikini when they are at the beach etc. The story is kind of dark, with hangings and such so maybe thats why? P3 got M because when you use your magic the characters shoot themselves in the head to 'evoke' their Persona....

It's very good :)
:D

txa1265

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
The series changes really drastically with 3. I never got into the first game either (which is the remake). P3 is really well done but lacks the battle refinements that make P4 much better. I would say pick up P4, then if you dig it, pick up the P3 remake which is coming to PSP in July as they have added a new female main character (if you don't wanna be the emo dude) plus all the new battle system fixes that were in P4.
Cool - I'll request P4 on Goozex for my kids to try, and grab the PSP version (assuming it comes to PSN ... no more UMD's for me unless I have to ...) when it comes out.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I so need a Wii again for the new Wii games and all those awesome Gamecube games. <3 Donkey Konga and Luigi's Mansion, and Pikmin is on the Wii so that is awesome. Gamecube was my favourite console out of the 3 (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube).

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
So you play the same games over and over again?

I already played the games I wanted to play on the old consoles, new consoles have new games that I havent played.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So you play the same games over and over again?

I already played the games I wanted to play on the old consoles, new consoles have new games that I havent played.
I've seen old classic films numerous times before but I still rewatch them because of their greatness.
I listen to older music that I enjoy more than new music (even in the genres I like).
Why would games be any different? I'd rather play an old good game again than almost all the new forgettable games. There are also old games that I've forgotten about, old games that I never 100%ed, old games I never even played, old multiplayer games that (paradoxically) never get old.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
*Grin* I just unpacked my old PS@ and the only other system that I own happens to be a game cube. I really wish that I could have gotten a couple of the Sonic anthologies, Sega anthology or the atari collections games instead of what I had - I can't find them anymore.