Who still has good old PS2 and GC ?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dr. McKay, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

Just wondering. I've got a Mac and two consoles, a PS2 and a GC.

I have nothing but AAA-titles on both consoles (Tekken 5, GT4, God of War, FF12, Zelda, Mario sunshine, metroid prime 1 & 2, etc.), about 25 in total.

Anyone here still appreciating these "classics" or have you all been seduced by Wii, Xbox360 or PS3 ? For the moment, I see no reason to "upgrade" as the new consoles offer just more of the same, only with better graphics (not counting that weird Wii thingy - Nintendo, please go back to making REAL games, although I have to say the new Mario (galaxy) games look cool).

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I still have my PS2 and also a SNES. I use and still enjoy both occasionally, but most of my gaming these days is done on the PS3.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

We actually just bought my younger son a brand new PS2-slim (yes, Sony still makes them!) for his birthday in late February, and have been stocking up on games. He is huge into Kingdom Hearts, so we haev gotten all 3 of those games, plus FF XII, Dragon Quest VIII, Katamari, GT4, Rogue Galaxy, a Sonic Mega collection, and a few others that escape me ... all used games.

... Goozex is my friend ... :D

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have all my old systems, barring my N64 which the girlfriend has now. I still play them too. More so than the current gen.

Oh and FWIW Nintendo do make real games. It's other developers that aren't.

6. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, sorry about that. I stand corrected.

In fact, I love Nintendo games, I just don't like all that family Wii stuff. Now all of a sudden, gaming isn't geeky or antisocial anymore.

Come on, gimme a break...

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Not me... sold my ps2 when i bought my ps3 (plays ps2 games). Sold my GC when i bought my wii (plays gc games).

8. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Sadly, unless you were an early adopter of the PS3 (i.e. when it cost too much and offered too little), for the last ~2.5 years the statement would be "ps3 (DOESN'T play ps2 games)"

9. mmfphotodude macrumors member

I Have an

NES
    SNES
    N64
    AND....
    GC!!

Thats it.

10. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

i've got a original playstation, the boxy one, but seem to have lost resident evil 2 for it, and looking for gran turismo 2 after my disc wore out haha
    got a silver playstation 2 not the slim-line one, those things like to cook themselves lol
    and a PS3 but it dont play PS2 games Hence i still have my PS2 lol

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Oh, is that all?

Collector here... ;)

13. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

I have an NES and Genesis in my basement, complete with Duck Hunt and the gun and a few arcade style controllers.

Up stairs i have a N64, PS2, XBOX, and a guy at work said he will sell me his gamecube super cheap ($10) if i mod his wii.

I have all the current gen consoles as well, which is actually the first time i've had all the current consoles during that generation. If i had a SNES i would have a pretty complete collection.

14. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

I've only played the (meh) PSP remake ... how are those games? I see they are 'M' rated ... how is the content?

15. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I had a gamecube until recently, I had SSBM, Zelda Winwaker/Ocarina, Both Starfox and Fire Emblem.

We have a box full of PS2 games.

16. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Slim PS2 with Crystal Chip Pro running r34 firmware, and a GC with Qoob Chip. Only AAA titles atm, but am trying to finish ICO. I will keep my GC for Metroid and Starfox, and the PS2 to replay MGS 1,2 and 3 probably another half 2-3 times.

17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I still have my PS2 and all the Nintendo consoles except the Gamecube. Used to have a Gamecube but sold it because the Wii plays Gamecube games.

18. Dr. McKay thread starter macrumors 6502a

Metroid Prime on GC is my favorite game of all time (it used to be Zelda 3 - A Link to the Past on SNES). Runners up are Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy 7 on PSOne and Super Mario 64 on N64. Sadly, I no longer have my N64, SNES or PSOne.
    Thank god for SNES9x !

19. MRU Suspended

MRU

It's very good :)

20. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

The series changes really drastically with 3. I never got into the first game either (which is the remake). P3 is really well done but lacks the battle refinements that make P4 much better. I would say pick up P4, then if you dig it, pick up the P3 remake which is coming to PSP in July as they have added a new female main character (if you don't wanna be the emo dude) plus all the new battle system fixes that were in P4.

I'm not 100% sure on the M rating. There is some swearing (harshest word being s***), some blood... I think.... and some anime girls in a bikini when they are at the beach etc. The story is kind of dark, with hangings and such so maybe thats why? P3 got M because when you use your magic the characters shoot themselves in the head to 'evoke' their Persona....

:D

21. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

Cool - I'll request P4 on Goozex for my kids to try, and grab the PSP version (assuming it comes to PSN ... no more UMD's for me unless I have to ...) when it comes out.

22. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

I so need a Wii again for the new Wii games and all those awesome Gamecube games. <3 Donkey Konga and Luigi's Mansion, and Pikmin is on the Wii so that is awesome. Gamecube was my favourite console out of the 3 (PS2, Xbox, Gamecube).

23. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

So you play the same games over and over again?

I already played the games I wanted to play on the old consoles, new consoles have new games that I havent played.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've seen old classic films numerous times before but I still rewatch them because of their greatness.
    I listen to older music that I enjoy more than new music (even in the genres I like).
    Why would games be any different? I'd rather play an old good game again than almost all the new forgettable games. There are also old games that I've forgotten about, old games that I never 100%ed, old games I never even played, old multiplayer games that (paradoxically) never get old.

25. pdjudd macrumors 601

*Grin* I just unpacked my old PS@ and the only other system that I own happens to be a game cube. I really wish that I could have gotten a couple of the Sonic anthologies, Sega anthology or the atari collections games instead of what I had - I can't find them anymore.