Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calisi*

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Down under land
Okay I'm seriously considering selling my 15in Retina Display and purchasing a 27in iMac (for my photography and editing) & a white 2010 macbook for browsing the net.

Just wondering who still has a white macbook and uses it?

Atrin1

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2012
Dallas
I have one and its my primary computer that I use daily. I bought mine in 2010 the last year they sold it.

Currently running a 750GB HDD and 8GB RAM but my gf is buying me a Crucial 256GB SSD for my bday. I'll be putting my HDD in the optical drive.

I love my white macbook :)

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
I have a late 09 8gb ram 500gb hd. been going strong for over 3 years and have enjoyed it immensely. I think I have turned it off maybe 30 times in that amount of time and battery etc still doing good. best laptop I have ever owned. so much in fact I got the wife a used macbook 4,1 for her and just picked up a brand new mini for her/my son.

I'll use this until it no longer serves its purpose. so far it is a great machine.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I still use a white 2,1 MacBook.
It is my on-the-go computer (I have a desktop for most of my daily use).

I'll also use it to tinker with new programming languages, etc.

I love it. I bought it used and have never had a problem with it. It's probably the most reliable computer I have ever owned.

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
My early '08's age is finally starting to show and I'm definitely upgrading this fall. It chokes on Tumblr (I experienced my very first complete system freeze a few nights ago), plus movies don't play smoothly on an external monitor in 1080p and I think I almost blew this old thing up trying to convert a Blu-ray quality video file a few weeks ago.

Those are some pretty high expectations for a 5 year old laptop, so, hey, can't complain! My main daily problem is running out of RAM but a 2010 can use up to 8GB so you'll be fine. Yeah, a cheap one would be a good choice for web browsing! You could get a few years' use out of it. :)

Last edited:

gryffinwings

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2012
I just picked up an early 2008 13 inch white Macbook for $180. I love this thing. It runs so well even with only 1 GB of ram. I intend to upgrade the ram to 2 GB for now after I get a replacement battery, apparently it died at 230 cycles.

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
I'm still using my MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp512). And it still rocks! :)

Having watched the 2007 Macworld Keynote (the launch of the original iPhone), I got to know more about Apple and Steve Jobs. Since then I had been planning to switch to Mac.

The chance came when my Windows PC died in mid-2009. The cause was that I was using an antivirus application NOD32 to scan for viruses and the CPU usage was constantly high, causing it to blow. Although I have some knowledge about computers, I was a bit afraid of switching to Mac because I had been a PC for around 11 years. Having said that, I still went ahead to Mac.

I have to admit the saying: once you go Mac, you never go back. :D After a month or so, I adapted to Mac OS X. It's so intuitive, advanced and much more stable than Windows. (On the other hand, Windows XP is the most stable release of Windows IMO. Better than the half-baked Windows ME based on MS-DOS that always keeps crashing.)

I've changed the hard disk from 160GB (built-in, forgotten the brand of that) to 500GB (Western Digital) and the RAM from 2GB (built-in, Samsung) to 4GB (Kingston). My MacBook still does the job well for me. And I love it!

My MacBook was my first Apple product (2009), and then the iPod touch 4th gen. (2010), and the second-hand iPhone 4 (2012), and iPhone 5 (2012)... :apple:

----------

Forgot to say:

In 2011, just 2 years after the purchase (I didn't buy AppleCare), the battery became swollen. I didn't use the battery much (keep my MacBook plugged in with the battery installed), but I did discharge it at least once a month to keep the juice flowing/complete the charge cycle (http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html). I don't know what caused it, but I'm sure it's the battery itself that has the problem. Back then there were no official Apple Stores in Hong Kong, so I went to 2 Apple authorised service providers to seek help and see if they could replace the battery for me for free. Two of them said no and told me to buy a new one... :(

Luckily the first official Apple Store was opened in Hong Kong in September 2011. I went there and told one Genius about the issue I was having. He replaced it for me without asking a single question! Now that's what customer service should be!

Last edited:

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
After "Googling" around I found this thread and I decided to participate!. This week I bought a second hand MacBook 4,1 from 2008 on eBay so I can use it on collage because my 2006 Mac Mini its really really on its final days... sad, anyway the original owner upgraded the RAM to 4 GBs a new battery that lasts 5 hours (3.45 hours when doing heavy photoshop work), and a new MagSafe charger, from a students perspective I love it! Its white with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo (my mini has the Core Duo processor though, which doesn't allow me to run Photoshop CS6 on it) It's a 5 year old laptop but I really don't care its my first portable Mac computer! I really really hope it lasts longs! Does anyone still uses their MacBook has their primary machine? :D

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I'm still using my Mid 2010 MB. Bought it on launch day, and it's still going strong. upgraded the ram to 8gb and put in a 266gb M4 SSD and it absolutely files. Still looks as good as it did on launch day.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I still use mine. Bought (refurb) in early Nov 2010. It's the white MB. I upgraded the RAM to 8GB and installed a 500GB Hard drive. Still going strong and the battery is at 85-88 percent capacity. Not bad at all.

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
I got a 2008 White MacBook this week from eBay, I decided to buy this guy since I was on a budget and I needed something to take to my lectures and run photoshop and FCE, the owner upgraded its RAM to 4 GBs, a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and a 250 GB hard drive (soon to be replaced with an SSD), this thing is so awesome since my primary work machine used to be my 2006 Mac Mini (Core Duo model) now I use my MacBook has my primary machine! Oh and the battery is in such a great condition after 5 years take a look

macbookbat.png

and coconutBattery

macbook_bat1.png

Can you belive that after five years still holds almost a full charge? Right now it lasts me almost five hours!! depending on what I'm working of course

borostef

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
I have a late 2008 white MacBook 4,1... I upgraded the RAM to 4 GB, and I have also installed a 90 GB SSD that I took out of my PC that I don't use that much any more... I must say that I am very happy with it... Still a very capable machine...

smyross

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
How to install Windows 7 or 8 On Netbook

Hi all, well i have a Netbook and i want to install windows on it . can you help me which one windows will better for netbook Windows7 or Windows8.:confused:

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Can you guys explain to me something, since this is my first portable Mac I don't know how to use correctly the battery. I let it charge over night until its completely full. Then I use the laptop until it goes to sleep due to low battery. Then I charge it again until it's fully charged. Am I doing this correctly since I first did it the battery health on iStat Pro went from 91% health to 87%, or should I use the MagSafe charger whenever I'm near a power outlet? :confused:

istatpro.png

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden
Don't use your mac plugged in to a power outlet unless it needs to be charged. let it run off it's battery.
oo i have a macbook mid 2007 white with maybe a dead hdd. shame on me as i bought a new and expensive battery to it newly. the battery did not hold a charge regardless the health was 100% (wut?).MAYBE i will repar it myself instead going to apple store to get it fixed as it's 6yr old

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.