Who suffers the Shut Down problems.... (fans going into overdrive)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vohdoun, Jan 4, 2008.

1. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

This is becoming annoying for me since 10.5.1. For no apparent reason, Shut Down normally happens within 1 - 3 seconds. When this happens the screens are all black lights on the displays but the fans in the tower starts getting faster and faster, louder and louder "wooo 747 take off!". Almost like the sleep problems that are known with Leopard or like OS X has crashed.

Only way to solve it is hold the power button down for 5 seconds, then start her up again. Once back into the desktop, Shut Down from the menu, which it cleanly shuts down. It's a totally random issue.

Does anyone else suffer this problem with Leopard, when their fans start going crazy after the screens are all off? I never suffered it with the original release of 10.5.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Well he said tower, so im guessing Mac Pro.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Does it really matter?:rolleyes: lol, he could have the g5.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, their hardware and software configurations are completely different.

7. vohdoun thread starter macrumors 65816

vohdoun

It's a dual G5. I guess its an isolated issue then if nobody else has encountered it.

8. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Hmm, I'm not sure:eek:. Try bringing it in.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Perhaps it's a third party hardware issue... What do you have connected or installed in terms of hardware, mate? :)

10. mikenguyen macrumors newbie

I also have this problem. You're not alone lol. It started happening when I updated to 10.5.1, I'm on a macbook. Hopefully they fix this in the next update.

11. vohdoun thread starter macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Same hardware thats been in it for the past two years or so. Internal Belkin USB card which had no problems with Tiger. http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=107412

External USB Bluetooth dongle is connected to it for the Apple Wireless keyboard. http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=273109

These have been connected for quite some time now. Which I say once again. The problems didn't exist under Tiger. As I said, the problem only started happening when I updated to 10.5.1.

Thanks for posting that info, mikenguyen.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5715026&#5715026
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5779885&#5779885 More so this one.

USB problem they say...

12. deboni macrumors member

deboni

shutdown/restart cancelled due to finder not quitting

I'm experiencing 10.5.1 shutdown failures on the PowerBook G4 that's currently my desktop machine.

When I shut it down or restart it, I usually have to manually kill all apps except the finder, or it complains that one of the apps won't quit; then it complains, after Finder has shut down and the only thing left on my desktop is my wallpaper and the Dock, that Finder or Login won't shut down.

Force Quit at this point shows *nothing* running, and manually restarting the Finder at this point and trying again produces the same results.

The external devices I have connected to it are an Apple Cinema Display, MacAlly keyboard, Logitech mouse, USB 2.0 hub, FireWire 400 hub, external FireWire hard drive (Time Machine target), speakers, iSight, and Ethernet.

I suppose I could start removing these items one at a time, to see when the problem goes away. However, it's so reliable and stable, I seldom *need* to shut it down (I restart it once a week or so just for general principles.)

With any luck, 10.5.2 will address these matters. With more luck, I'll have a new desktop soon, and the PB will be disconnected from most of the above stuff.

Tom

13. iBunny macrumors 65816

This has only happened to me once, and it was on monday actually.

I have a current gen MBP 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/10.5.1