who thinks 3.0 beta is actually pretty fast?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mhuk01, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

With all these complaints from people updating to 3.0 and then downgrading, I was skeptical about upgrading to the beta (particularly as I am not a developer so needed to find someone to add me to 'the list').

However I went ahead anyway with the upgrade and everything is working well, all the new features including tethering are great! Also finding a dev willing to add me was much easier than I thought!

Anyone else had a similar experience?

2. techguy1 macrumors regular

Been using it for over a week now and am surprised how stable and fast it is. YouTube loads and plays faster. All my 6 pages of apps open and work well.
    Copy & paste is a truly useful addition and I didn't realise how much I'd use it until I had the option to use it.

If this is beta, I'm looking forward to the final release :D

3. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

How did you get the beta without being a registered dev?

David

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The interface is fast. S/MMS is delayed and clunky. Safari has a serious bug where Adding a Bookmark overlays the Bookmark graphics and iPhone must be rest. iPod is unstable and slow, slow, slow.

I thought it was comical that the NEW features worked flawlessly while those we've used since JUN07 are flawed :)

6. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Truth is there are a wealth of different experiences out there, because many different users have this beta.

Most aspects of the beta are fast, strong, and overall very very good.

There are some persistent and fatal bugs, however.

I don't recommend installing it unless you know how handle the iPhone, and I don't mean if you know how to flip through cover flow. If you are professional iPhone developer/tester/user, you'll be just fine/pleasantly surprised.

Oh and battery life is insanely great. Blows 2.2.1. out of the water.

7. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Question - Once i DL the beta 3.0, will i be able to install the final release once it comes out ? Will it be the standard way through itunes ?
    Thanks

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I am still wondering how and where I can download the Beta version of 3.0? I want to try it. I am not a dev so I don't have one of those UUID or UDID number things. Will I brick my iPhone??? I have read that Dev Team blog and they say that 3.0 is jailbreakable on all iPhones but Yellowsn0w users are holding them back, or something. Do I use Pwnage Tool? A guide or instructions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
    David

9. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Your sig says it all. This a private developer beta. Beyond that you're SOL.

I'm not saying that to be mean, as a non-developer you have no reason/purpose for installing the beta, and there is no way for you to benefit from doing so.

Pwnage tool has nothing to do with it. Those are hack tools. The 3.0b is from Apple through the Dev Center, to paid and active developers.

It doesn't have all of the advertised features, because its for testing 3.0 SDK-created applications on the base 3.0 OS.

10. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I understand. I guess I am just a little trigger happy with updates, haha. Thanks.

David

11. techguy1 macrumors regular

If you don't have a 'friendly dev' who is willing to add you to his / her list of devlopers by adding your iPhone 40 digit ID to their list, then you will be unable to run 3.0. If you try and then attempt to login to your iTunes account, it will tell you that you are not registered and you will not be able to activate your iPhone.You'll then be searching threads on Macrumors on how to downgrade.

12. nutsnbolts macrumors 6502

Give a guy a break, they are valid questions. Obviously, he's way off but the fact of the matter is that we all have been there at some point.

Hopefully, your response educates him a bit but his signature implies really stupid people. LoL. He's not stupid, he's just uneducated. :p

13. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Yea I'm sorry about that, its just hard to believe how stupid some people are. Staggering how many people paid $99 to be devs last week just to get a buggy 3.0, and then hack there way back to 2.2.1 (since its not legally possible). Doing THAT was stupid, not your question.

One of those "true colors" weeks, where you realize what's behind the minds of 90% of a forum user base.......nothing.

14. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Ya I completely agree. Why weren't they able to run 3.0 if they paid the $99?

David

15. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Similar? Actually, my experience is about as different as possible. You're not a dev, but I am. You waited a week to install 3.0, but I installed it within hours of its release. You think it's 'actually pretty fast' but I think it's slow as molasses, which is what eventually compelled me to downgrade back to 2.2.1. Well, that and all the bugs. ;)

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I just hope they sort some things out before June/July, for the rest of us!

16. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

They can, but as "users" and not developers, for some reason they were surprised by a handful of bugs in the 3.0b. Spooked people back on to 2.2.1.
    Honestly I don't know why they went running back. 3.0b, for a beta, runs great. It has also more than doubled the battery life of my 3G without any exaggeration.

17. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

They were, they just reverted back to 2.x.x because they couldn't handle the bugs.

18. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Well, I'm not trying to pick any fights or anything and am on no one's side but I would like to comment.

Most people in the computer world that I talk to wait at least two weeks and read reviews before they update any software, Mac or PC. This is because if there is a bug that could mess up your whole systems, this would most likely avoid it. It has bugs because it is a private Beta release. Safari 4 was a public Beta release and it even has bugs. I am sure that Apple will sort out most bugs, and all major ones, by the summer release. This is probably why they haven't given an official release date.

David

19. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Oh and thank you for all your clarification.

David

20. Acevesx macrumors regular

really? I think my battery life got worse

21. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

You do have a UDID, everyone does. Just click on the serial number of your iPhone in iTunes and you'll see your UDID (Unique Device Identifier)

To answer the question, I am quite impressed with the speed and stability of 3.0, much more snappy then the first 2.0 beta was.

22. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

That's good to hear. Let's hope that the 3.0 release will be more successful than the 2.0 release.

David

23. DaveTaylor macrumors 6502

I have the odd issue with it like trying to copy and paste whilst listening to music it lags out, but if I restart my phone it works fine, it just has to be done first.

24. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I am able to run 3.0 on my iPod touch without having to register it.

25. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Did you download the firmware from a torrent site?

David