Who thinks iphone 5 will be coming out in 2011?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gavbo, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Gavbo macrumors member

Of course no one will know apart from Steve. Over 6 months and iphone4 still selling like hot cakes, as well as iphone4 coming out on CDMA and White iphone 4 in the pipe line. I really doubt we be seeing an iphone 5 this year. What do you guys think?

2. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

I think no White iPhone 4 nor CDMA anytime soon, and June/July iPhone 5 as usual.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think you are the only person that thinks that.

4. JASApplications macrumors 65816

iPhone - 2007
    iPhone 3G - 2008
    iPhone 3Gs - 2009
    iPhone 4 - 2010

I wonder when the iPhone 5 will come out?

5. I Am Steve Jobs macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There will be a 5th iteration of the iPhone.

-Steve

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, apple will be releasing an update to their iPhone. What they call it is anyone's guess. What changes it will have is also up for debate to which I'm sure we'll see more and more speculation threads as we head closer and closer to June.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Personally, I think there is a greater chance of seeing an iPhone update (5 or another name) than there is of seeing a white iPhone or a Verizon iPhone. Now, you may see all 3, who knows, but in order of likelihood, I would say...

1. iPhone update (5 or some other name)
    2. White iPhone
    3. Verizon iPhone

You can swap the white iPhone with the Verizon iPhone, but neither are as likely as an updated iPhone in my opinion

8. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Let me finish that list for you:

iPhone 3G - 2008
    iPhone 3Gs - 2009

iPhone 4 - 2010
    iPhone 4s - 2011

iPhone 5 - 2012
    iPhone 5s - 2013

iPhone 6 - 2014

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

While I don't think Apple is a slave to the cycles (they have shown their ability to break them with other products), I don't see that changing this year. However, the wild card of the Verizon iPhone rumors and the white iPhone have the potential to break the cycle. I'm betting against it though. I think we see an updated iPhone of some type.

10. HPLouis macrumors regular

I agree with the others. I think there will be a minor update (better front and rear camera, 64GB will be the high end model, white iPhone, IOS5, etc.)

11. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

To be consistent with prior numbering, surely that should be:

iPhone 4 - 2010
    iPhone 4s - 2011

iPhone 6 - 2012
    iPhone 6s - 2013

iPhone 8 - 2014

In truth, only Apple knows (assuming they have even finally decided!)

12. black743 macrumors 6502

I still don't get the reasoning behind some people who think Verizon is destined to never get the iphone....especially on a forum that's all about rumors.

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I think you are wrong.

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't think people believe Verizon is destined to never get the iPhone
    I think most believe they will get it eventually

But after "wolf" is cried so many times, it is an "I will believe it when I see it" mentality. Most don't chase every rumor of "I have friend whose aunt is sleeping with a guy who works on the dock at Verizon who thinks he saw somebody walk in with an iPhone in his pocket... could this be the Verizon iPhone?"

15. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

What?? Can't be. What happened to iPhone 7?? I'm waiting for that one. ;) My paper route will give me just enough to buy a used one by 2015, as long as they still print newspapers then....

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I agree with Small White Car and OllyW, and I think you're new to the iPhone, meaning you don't know that Apple announces/releases a new iPhone every June/July.

Apple hasto keep refreshing their products in order to stay ahead of its competition, especially the iPhone. :)

17. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

18. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I'm totally getting the 4GS whenever that comes out :)

19. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

OF COURSE their will be a 5th generation iPhone this year! You forget what business this is, the cellphone business. It runs on 2 year contracts and when people's contracts are up they want new phones. Not 1+ year old phones, they want the latest and greatest to justify their locking into a new contract so every phone company, Apple included, has to have a new phone at least once a year for all those folks to buy and feel good about buying. No one wants to lock in a 2 year contract on a phone that came out over a year ago!

Apple will continue to release revisions to their phone at least once per year, and this year you may see for the first time TWO revisions, a spring revision to the iPhone 4 that includes the GSM/CDMA chip to allow it to work on AT&T and Verizon followed by the iPhone 4/4s/5 whatever they call it in the June timeframe that includes other hardware changes (better cameras, perhaps a 4 inch screen etc.)

20. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Kinda strange but iPhone 4 still feels "new" to me, just released. I have the same feeling regarding the PS3, even though it's been out for 4 years.

I'm sure there will be an iPhone 5 though, no doubt.

21. google macrumors regular

As trend has it there will be a 5th iPhone...where do ppl come up with these questions?

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Noobs, but that's why we're here, to help em out :D

23. citizenal macrumors regular

I hope they release a iphone 5 this year. I need an upgrade this year. :D

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm on a 2 year upgrade cycle with my phone, really seems pointless to drop $600 on a phone every year. Hell, the only reason I bought the 3G was for the capacity upgrade, my 2G still works like a champ. And my PS3....so nice...wish there was some more connectivity with my phone though.

25. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I would be shocked and dismayed were there not a release of a new iPhone in June. There is no way that Apple would allow themselves to fall that far behind the competitors new releases.
    What they call it is anyones guess at this point. Ditto whether it is a mere tweak, or a full upgrade.