Who thinks it would be a nice touch if...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickhutson, May 22, 2009.

1. nickhutson macrumors regular

... much like on the springboard, the calendar shows today's date, I think it would be kinda neat if the weather icon updated with the current temperature and condition. It may drain battery life, though.. However, one could set it to update every hour or at whatever interval one wishes. It just seems odd to me they never did that...

2. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

could also show the time.

If you jailbreak you can do this.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

with 3.0 and push notifications this could be done.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think that would be cool. The calendar icon changes every day so it would be nice to see the weather one do the same

5. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

If the iPhone software has a weakness, it is the lack of a front end home page, where at-a-glance notifications are presented. Icons are fine for selecting programs to run, but using the icon itself as a display widget is not really what they are designed for.

Although I don't like Nokia much, the N97 is going to have a neat front-end screen on which you park widgets that give you up-to-date info.
    (currently playing, share price, weather, most recent email and so on)

[​IMG]
    C.

6. LinMac macrumors 65816

I want the front end home page that shows all the information I can think of and the icons updated like that. Not that I'm hard to please or anything... :D

7. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I think this will be very possible with 3.0. It is a very good idea but I don't know how much useful info they will be able to display. If it is a sun/moon or temp number it really won't be all that useful to me. I can look up or around and see if it is sunny/cloudy, day/night or hot/cold. It is an interesting idea and one that could pretty cool.

8. yalag macrumors 65816

it will never be possible in 3.0 or 4.0 or 5.0. Apple does not allow 3rd party app icon to change after install. end of thread.

9. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

what about apple's own stock weather app? i would like to see a cloud or a different temp...i mean it's not 73 out today!

10. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I think the weather updating would be a great idea. Like blackberry's weather icon.

Kinda off topic. Have a differen Photo icon. Come on Apple, I hate sunflowers.

11. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

I think it would be a nice touch if they allowed us to have something similar to MultiBarLockscreen and Status Notifier for jailbroken iPhones.

12. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I would like to have this feature as well. But I can see why Apple hasn't done it. This would, of course, need to access the internet and download the weather data and be updated sorta like email. Some people don't like the iPhone using data when they didn't ask it to. I think it would be a great option to turn on/off and to have settings like email does with fetch every couple hours.

The calendar icon is completely different because it only needs it access the iPhone's system date.

Remember, if you want a feature you should at least let them know! http://www.apple.com/feedback/

13. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Couldn't those people could turn off data, like when the go overseas.

Good call, I just went there and did that! Come on errbody, lets go suggest it!

14. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Apple seem to want it too.

[​IMG]

This is an illustration for Apple's patent for a notification screen.

C.

15. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

That would turn off ALL data though, wouldn't it? If Apple were to allow this, I could see there being a setting in the Preferences app like "Allow live icon updating Yes/No".

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

The date one doesn't need to ping the internet for the info, and only has to change once a day to stay accurate.

17. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I don't know about where you live but this morning when I woke up it was about 55 degrees outside and right now it is 81 degrees.

It will need updated more than once a day to be accurate.

18. con500 macrumors regular

For jailbroken iphone

The 1st is Intelliscreen (not free)
    2nd pic is homescreen 2.0 (free)

Both work on the lockscreen only...ok not as cool as the above nokia image but is a good way of having updateable notifications on your lockscreen

Attached Files:

19. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yea, precisely - which is why it's easy for the date one to show the date.

I doubt the official Apple weather icon will ever update itself.

20. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I'm doubtful that it will happen, but yeah I'd like it too for sure. It actually bothered me a little bit when the first iPhone came out, I initially thought it was automatically updating but then realized it was June in California and the 73 degrees with sun was just a coincidence, LOL.