Who thinks the next iPhone will be USB-3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gjwilly, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Since all of the new MacBook Pros and Airs are now supporting USB-3 do you think that the next iPhone will be a USB-3 device for faster syncing?
    Could this have anything to do with the rumored new dock connector?

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'd just assumed it would be. I would find it hard to believe that anything in the phone would need to be upgraded to transfer at faster speeds, they been bottle necked by the computer end.

3. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I have my doubts. While the cable is still here for now, the big emphasis with iOS 5 was wireless syncing. I don't this they are looking in to improving anything cable related except for maybe making it smaller and then one day eliminating it. Then again it looks like there is a good chance the 30 pin is on its way out so yeah it's possible. I'd still bet no though.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

We have a 50/50 chance of usb3. I'm doubting it.

If apple are pushing wifi sync they need to add the n band to the wifi in the iPhone 5. Large syncs take an age!!

5. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Adding USB 3.0 wired syncing doesn't make sense for the iPhone--we're not talking syncing large amounts of data to start with. Indeed, it doesn't make sense for the iPad, given the storage limitations of that device.

6. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Restoring 16gb of data is VERY slow on the USB 2 interface.

What happens to the poor people with 32 and 64gb models that use that much space???

USB 3 is doubtful, but if Apple do change their dock connector as rumored, it's very possible!

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Ahmed to that. Wifi sync is okay, but it takes forever....I still sync using the cable most of the time, same thing with my iPad....It's fine if you have a small amount to transfer, but SO slow on large syncs.

The new AC draft should help with this.....Means replacing my TC AEBS etc. though.

8. Mic'sBook, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

Mic'sBook macrumors regular

Apple's always at the forefront of technology.

Just like the iPhone 4S, Apple's the first to put GLONASS (not really sure) & Bluetooth 4.0 into smartphones. Many people still use GPS and Bluetooth 2.1 but that won't deter Apple from adopting new technology.

I think adding USB 3.0 support has nothing to do with Wi-Fi Sync, as we can see Apple's adopting USB 3.0 (the mid-2012 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and MacBook Pro with Retina display). So it would seem weird if they didn't adopt USB 3.0 in the devices they'll introduce in the future.

==========

Edit: what I mean is that Apple is still going use its own proprietary dock connector (thus continuing to have an exclusive iPod/iPhone/iPad accessory ecosystem), but the connection will be based on USB 3.0 instead of USB 2.0.

9. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Most computers out there are USB 2, so wouldn't see any benefits.

I would also suspect that the limitation isn't in the USB connection anyway. More likely it is in the flash interface on the phone/iPad.

I haven't seen any studies about how fast the flash is. Which would take writing an app to write to internal flash (eliminating the USB from the equation). I would think that the internal flash is probably more on the order of USB thumb drive speed than SSD speed.

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

USB 3 also allows for faster charging (through a computer port), so there is more to this than just benefits of faster syncing. I suppose it's going to depend entirely on component costs. If the components cost 10x that of USB 2 then I say there is no chance. It's not a large enough upgrade (IMO) for Apple to spend big bucks.

11. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I hope you know there's 64gb of iDevices out there. It takes a long time to sync everything.

There's nothing to lose for a faster connection and data transfer speed.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah, Apple probably wants to push wireless syncing.

13. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The rumored new dock connector might be compatible with USB3.0. Upgrading the support from USB2.0 to USB3.0 might be the motivation for Apple to redesign its dock connector.

14. Zoidberg79 macrumors newbie

Just to throw a spanner in the works.
    What if the new socket on iOS devices was Thunderbolt???

I know this will NOT happen, but it is cool to dream.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No way the connector will be USB-3. Apple will go proprietary on the new connector. Also doubt it will be USB-3 comparable since the chips are too large and power hungary. Apple usually waits a couple of generations for chip improvement before implementing. Also Apple is pushing more towards WiFi syncing.

16. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

So true, wifi sync isnt that great..

17. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy