who to buy from??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shyam09, Dec 3, 2010.

1. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

so here is the scenario, my dad's friend's friend is going to give us a discount. we dont know yet, but my dad asked his friend to ask his friend. i believe a 15-20% would be the best guess.

now my three options are:
    MacMall
    MacConnection
    Apple

now MacMall seems a bit unlikely because of the whole rebate issues people are having.
    so its between macconnection and apple.

me and my sis (who is also getting one, literally the same one as me- 15" MBP)
    she wants macconnection as there is no shipping nor tax involved ( i live in CA, so tax = :( )
    but the thing i dont like from that is the printer. it doesnt offer a wireless printer, and i prefer a wireless printer (which is free through apple)

at maccconetion its $1599 (flat) [we are getting two MBP's)
    at apple its $1799
    but through apple (one i want to go through), we will be most likely getting a discount, and also the free wireless printer (the D110 with airprint!)- the CA tax is about 8.6% and $16 recycling fee....

but through which retail would you guys go through?
    which has better reputation (if you know what i mean, rebate wise, etc)
    ultimately it is my choice, but a little insight would be nice :)
    -*but im getting it before Christmas!!*-

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course it's easier to deal with Apple, they have better reputation and stuff. However, you save 200$ per MBP if you buy from MacConnection. You can get pretty much any printer for 400$, most likely you can get one for under 100 bucks. How big discount would you get from Apple?

3. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Sounds like a sure thing.

4. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

technically i would save $150 from Macconnections (the base price over there is $1749) and that is a 11% discount from apple. but tax tax tax screws everything up (lol!). so 8.6% tax would make me need a 19% discount to "match" macconnection.

(for 2 MBPs 15")
    macconnetion gives me $3198
    apple, with a 10% discount gives me: $3516.69
    apple, with a 15% discount gives me $3321.31
    apple, with a 20% discount gives me: $3125.94

*this all does not include the price of the printer (as its a rebate) nor the Office 2011*

so the 20% discount is the best. however,
    the $150 off of the MBP on Macconnection is a rebate, so either way the $3598 will be the max. i would pay up front, unless i get no discount from apple :(

5. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68000

shyam09

yeah its weird.. but he is supposed ot ask him, we sent an email tuesday, and he sent one back saying he will talk to his friend (the only bad thing is he has had surgery and is on meds, so..)