Who to contact about MR IRC channel issue?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by the8thark, Jan 13, 2015.

1. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

I have an issue with the MR IRC channel and I PM'd a moderator about who I should contact about it. Well I PM'd the person that the mod told me to and it's been a few days and no response. So I am asking who else can I contact about this issue?

I can't ask the question in the channel. If I could I'd not be asking here.

The issue is that the server krono put me mistakenly on a ban list
    -cerberus.tx.us.krono.net- *** You are banned from Krono (Listed in dnsbl.ahbl.org. See http://ahbl.org/removals)
    Also the MR channel is the only channel I've ever used no this IRC server.

The server did not update it's ban list and it didn't realise that this ban list is not longer functional/ no longer in operation.

So my question is, who is the right person to contact about this issue?

Thank you in advance.

2. SandboxGeneral, Jan 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The IRC channel is not managed nor affiliated with MacRumors.com

However, I logged into it myself to ask on your behalf and the ops people advised they're having a system problem and it's affecting others as well. They advised they're looking into it but don't have a fix yet.

See their system message below that I snapped from my iPad.

2015-01-13 13.05.04.png

3. the8thark thread starter macrumors 68040

the8thark

Thank you for the reply. Good you shared that screenshot, so everyone knows the issue.

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Hey there!

MartyF81 here... Operator on the channel, and poster of that message! We continue to work to get this fixed.... the issue is caused by a service added to the IRC server that is supposed to help deter spammers. The bot checks the AHBL.org list to see if the user trying to connect has been associated with spamming in the past, and if so... it sends back a "KICK" reply basically.

Unfortunately, the AHBL as of about a week ago... shut down and decided to send "KICK" reply for all requests to attempt to get people using the service to stop tapping the server.

We are trying to get the service removed, but are having difficulties contacting the system admins who run the IRC server. It is a small... small... small... IRC provider so they are not really very active.

Never the less we are trying to fix it and looking at solutions. Please bear with us... we love the channel just as much as you do (and I recognize you as a regular!). I am even actually having a hard time getting on the Channel and have to only be on occasionally.

Also... we have a long relationship with MacRumors going all the way back to April 2001 :) Here is the thread from when we first started! http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=28954

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Thanks.

Incidentally, before this topic I wasn't aware of the channel at irc.krono.net.

I had bookmarked, at some time in the past, two channels found at chat.freenode.net –

#macrumors
    #macrumorschat

– and "… Primary channel names, formatted with a single leading hash mark (#), are reserved for participating groups and organizations based on their legal or informal claim to the associated name or name prefix …" so I assumed that one or both of those was the 'proper' place to be.

6. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

If the server is banning you, the managers of the channel probably won't be able to help you.

You need to contact the people who run the IRC network.

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I am having the same problem. :( Glad to see it's being worked on.

8. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to come back and let everyone know this issue has been resolved and the channel is working normally again!

Thanks
    Marty

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

We were actually denied setting up a chat server for Macrumors over on FreeNode - so I tend to stick away from those guys.

That's right, which would be me ;) Resolved now..

:rolleyes::D

Cheers Mart - if anybody else is looking for some Mac assistance or just some general chitchat, please feel free to come join us on the IRC.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Great that it's been fixed! I'll be there in a bit (NotThatJessica).

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

I know who you are :cool: See you there soon :D