Who to email to complain (UK) ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jSunbeam, Jan 21, 2008.

1. jSunbeam macrumors regular

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting this in but it seemed like it would be close enough. I'm in the middle of an absolutely horrendous dealing with Applecare and the Regent Street store.

I won't unleash the full story just yet (let's see if they can redeem themselves) but I need to somehow speak to somebody fairly senior either in-store, over the phone or via email.

It basically involves rudeness, inaccurate information, and general incompetence which is leading to a great deal of wasted time, stress and inconvenience on my part as well as (more importantly) significant loss of earnings as this debacle involves my (2 month old) primary work machine which is near enough unusable through no fault of my own.

So, can anyone advise me on a good route to take here? I don't really want to make an appointment with a 'genius' because they appear to have no real authority to do anything, and I don't just want to turn up to the store and demand to see the manager as it may simply just not happen.

Thanks.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'd suggest phoning applecare and telling the first person that answers that you want a manager (from customer services or whatever it is called) to call you back, they will probably ask some details and such like but then you will get through to a manager. Then ask that manager for their email address so you can explain the full story. Structure the email as a sort of time log detailing the problems what impact it had on you etc.

Remember to be polite all the time and make notes of peoples names, times and extension numbers (this can be very handy later on).

3. jSunbeam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I'll give Applecare a try, although my phone support ran out a few days ago if I have the dates right. However, since my initial dealings with them began within the 90 day period, hopefully they'll make an exception. I'd really like to arrange to go to the Regent Street store and just get a swap for a new machine - wonder if Applecare can help with this or I need to talk directly to the store? I wonder who has the authority to swap a machine. I'll also be asking to be compensated for my ordeal.

As far as politeness goes - I'm always polite, and I always take names! I've worked in retail before and I know that being rude in this situation will get you pretty much nowhere!

4. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

I've found that if you really want to complain in the UK then you should put your grievances down in writing and post it to the most senior person in the company by recorded delivery. That way people can't past the buck, which is what the majority of people tend to do.

5. jSunbeam thread starter macrumors regular

well i just spoke with the Regent Street store (after being passed along by apple care!), who have agreed to do everything they can to replace my machine as quickly as possible.

thumbs up, apple. all you need to do is sort out your bloody awful communication breakdown between various parts of the company and you'll be sorted.

6. mojopixel macrumors 6502

mojopixel

ha! see what I mean. I think you should still put your experience down in writing and send it to Apple otherwise they will think that their customer service is good and will not act to maintain/increase standards. Great that they are helping you out though! :)

7. jSunbeam thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yeah, I'll make sure everything is down in writing! They really messed me about.