Who to install pre-bought MBP HD upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kraftyd, Mar 11, 2008.

1. kraftyd macrumors newbie

I am out of room on my 160 GB, 7200-rpm, built-in HD in my MacBook Pro 2.2 Core 2 Duo--dont ask me how a college student managed to fill it! :p Anyway, I bought a 320 GB SATA at 5400-rpm like a good little boy. It's here now. and it needs to be installed.

But by whom? :confused:

I live in the Twin Cities and have 3 local options:
    Apple Store: Psh! Not a prayer with someone Else's hard drive
    Micro Center: Will do it for $40 but their Mac guy ditched 'em in the past week or so and his replacement is in training.
    FirstTech: I have friends there but their service is $125!

Can I get quick service (I'm a college student with an online course) and a better deal than $125 online? :confused:

Thx

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i think there are plenty of good resources here and on the internet where you could possibly just do it yourself. i know its not the easiest, but it can be done without having to have someone else do it

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If you're handy with some tools and good with online guides,
    you could do it yourself! But anything you damage cause, is your own responsibility.

Guide...
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo/115

Otherwise you'll need to find a 3rd party to install it for you and you should ask them about warranty, just incase something goes wrong.

4. kraftyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I need the warranty intact. I have applecare and bought the computer only about 6 months ago. I need Apple Certified people to install it. Installing it myself is not an option.

I've found places like TechRestore, Macservice, and iResQ that let you ship in your mac and give you their hard drive but thats the same problem as the genius bar--I already *have* the drive. grrrr.

5. gothamm macrumors 6502a

Excuses.

upgrading your hard drive does NOT....i repeat...IT DOES NOT VOID YOUR WARRANTY. Just be careful with the installation process and everything will work out great.

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

That would be the case if you don't leave any evidence of that you ever opened it up yourself.

I called up Apple and asked about this and their official word is that: yes, it does void your warranty.

However...you can still do it yourself and not void the warranty but be very careful. The ifixit.com link above is invaluable to your cause.

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

It does if you screw something up

8. gothamm macrumors 6502a

is that so? because i called them and i was told that as long as there is no physical damage, it is fine. Like I said, be careful.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry, I think it's a grey area... It seems different stores in different locations will tell you yes, it does and other AppleStores/Tech Support says no, it doesn't. I myself would play it safe and assume it did. This way, your not setting yourself up for a massive disappointment should they bill you for any maintenance work done.

I know the Apple Stores in Macnchester Arndale Centre (UK) and the Manchester Trafford Centre (UK) both stated "opening your machine and upgrading your Mac beyond it's specs would void your warranty".

...But I went ahead an did it anyway I figure it's MY bleedin machine, I paid for it.. therefore IF I wanna destroy it, Apple can't stop me! On the safe side, I returned my APP for a refund (apple's site still says i got 3 years cover... lol) and purchased some personal laptop cover from a local insurance broker, since fully covered, in the sense it's 'OLD for NEW' - for the price it's much better than APP, as it covers accidents and water damage.

10. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

One thing to bolster the "upgrading your HD does not void your warranty" is the fact that "Apple Certified Technicians" can upgrade the hard drive, and aren't in any way affiliated with Apple. So if you sent in your notebook for repair, how would apple know if a Certified Technician installed it or if you did it yourself? The only way would be to damage/break something.

I don't think they put a sticker on the inside saying "installed by a certified technician."

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I plan on upgrading my mine to 500GB when it's released and the manager at the Apple Store said they don't provide support for the replacement drive and if you have issues and they need to fix your computer, you need to take the drive out before you send it in. In other words, replace at will, but don't sell the original drive 'cause you need it for warranty.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Officially it does. Unofficially, you just don't tell Apple you did and say an authorize technician did.

13. kraftyd thread starter macrumors newbie

Niiiiice!! Still, I have shaky hands so i cant attempt it... maybe I should have said that earlier... :(

So there is no way apple could know for sure if the operation was legit?

If that's the case, I have... people... who could "make it happen." :D

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

the samsung has been released not sure about retail outlets though

15. eyespii macrumors 6502

local apple store told me that the warranty would be "obliterated" if i opened up the case. They then proceeded to give me the number of a "certified tech" who could do the upgrade for me. The techs apparently log in a database that they performed the upgrade (which I doubt, but whatever)

upon calling the certified tech, they wanted $190 and two days to install a hard drive that I was bringing in myself. $190 for something that shouldn't take more than 30 minutes if you know what you're doing, and an hour if you don't?

Is there any validity to the logging of repairs in a database for apple to check on, or was the apple store just blowing smoke?

16. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

If you upgrade the hard drive from the initial hd to a bigger you void the warranty on the drive not on the system according to Applecare, and my local Apple store genius's and management.

Also Macsales installs the drives for 80 bucks and takes a day or two.

17. a4abt macrumors regular

Upgrading my MBP's hard drive was the first time I opened a notebook. The whole upgrade went well, just take your time and be VERY careful. If ever my MBP needs warranty work, I'll just re-install the OEM hard drive. I took care to leave everything inside my notebook as good as "stock".

18. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

Was in my local Apple store this evening, and the person I spoke with said that if I performed the HD upgrade it would void my warranty. However, if I went to an Authorized Service Location (they actually keep a list of local places and gave me a copy) and had them perform it, the warranty would remain in tact.

As for them logging to a DB, I do not know. I am going to try to take it to a local MicroCenter (I think they charge $40, which to me is worth it) this weekend and have them do a HD upgrade. I'll post again after this weekend regarding the "logging to a DB" claim (if I can take it in).