Who took Intro to Sociology?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jan 8, 2012.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Who took Intro to Sociology?

I am just starting Intro to Sociology and was wondering what do we do in the weekly seminar?

I know every class would not be the same, but does anybody have any idea?

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Usually read a chapter, sometimes write about it, discuss it in class, take quizzes periodically and ultimately wrap up a chapter/chapters with tests.

It's almost like school.... oh wait.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Of course we have 3 hours of lecture a week and the seminar is 50 minutes a week.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Shouldn't you ask someone at your school instead of MR?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have you still not gotten a sense for the kind of questions that should be posted in an online forum vs. things that are better off just found out by yourself? It's your schedule and your education. Just go to the friggin class and drop it if you don't like it.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I misread that as scientology and was all :eek: for a second.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Maybe if you decide to major in it you could write your dissertation on the impact of online computer discussion boards on sociology 101 ? :D

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Glad I'm not the only one who thought it said Scientology.

I think you'll find that if you attend the weekly seminar and pay attention, you'll quickly find out what you do in the weekly seminar. In college, I found that attending class was typically the best way to find out what goes on in said class. Surprising, I know. :rolleyes:

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Same here. :eek:

10. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Me too!

11. bmacir macrumors 6502

12. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I took Soc 101 so long ago we took notes on stone tablets. Very slow and tedious. (Ba-da-boom):D

This ^^^ sounds pretty much how I remember it. Of course, I took Soc 101 in 1964. There's a lot that's a little blurry in my memory of the '60's. :confused: :p

13. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well if it's like the sociology class I took you'll learn that white people are evil. Especially white men. All white people are racist some are just more pronounced about it than others. Even the ones that don't say anything racist and work at not being racist are still racist they are just repressing it.

That only white people are capable of racism. Anything that seems like racism from any other race towards other races. Is simply them reflecting the racism of the white people since they are in power.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You mad, bro? No one teaches that.

15. velocityg4, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Mine did. She did clearly teach that only white people in America can be racist because white people are the majority. Any seeming racism of one minority group to another was just a reflection of white racism. Which was caused by the influence of white people as they are in power.

Other groups were not capable of racism since they are not in power. She equated racism as only occurring if the person was of a race which has the political power to enforce racism.

She also taught all white people are made racist. Because they grew up in a culture where they are in power and are influenced by racist undertones their entire life. Some may try to overcome it. But at some level they always remain racist.

Men were more focused on because they ultimately hold more power than women. So they are both sexist and racist. While white women can only be racist. While men of any race are always sexist.

The same would hold true in any other country going by whatever race and gender holds the most power.

All I had to do on tests was answer questions along these lines to get an A. So the class itself was an easy A.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How long ago did you go to college (velocityg4)? I think what you describe happened a fair amount in the early 90s heyday of the political correctness movement, but by the time I got to college in the mid-90s it was already well into the process of dying, and I didn't think there was much of that left. I mean, I think everything you mention is a caricature of a legitimate topic in race relations that is actually really interesting (to me, possibly not to you). (My disclaimer is that the only classes I ever took from a Sociology department were graduate statistics classes.)

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i took a lot of sociology classes, nearly minored in it.

i would expect lectures and a lot of discussion from an intro class.

none of the ones i took had a seminar class attached to it as well. every school is different. this is perhaps one of those questions best directed at classmates or faculty at your particular school.

18. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Did you go to Black Panther University?

If this is seriously what was taught, then it truly is a caricature of a very important topic and one that you shouldn't immediately dismiss (the topic; feel free to dismiss the caricature). Just because white men hold an inordinate amount of power and are responsible for a great deal of racism and sexism does not mean that A) all white men are this way or B) people who are not white men can't be this way.

It is too bad you had such a crass teacher.