Who took Philosophy in college?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Sep 19, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

If you took Philosophy in college can you pleas help me understand how exams work. Now I realize that ever teacher will be different ,but how would they test you on your Philosophy knowledge?

We were learning about, "The Meaning of Life".

Example.

Children as Meaning

Many people would say that the meaning of life lies in their children and their children's children. But this answer has an odd consequence , as soon as you start to think about it. If the meaning of life lies not in their own lives ,but in someone else's life, what is it that makes their lives meaningful? Their Children. But what makes their children's lives meaningful in turn? Their children, and so on. In this way people have always tended to project abstractly into the future , to a place of total piece and happiness -what philosophers call a utopia And this is how they would like their children, or their children's children, or their children's children's children , to live. But how does this make their own lives meaningful? And what is the meaning of life for this distant relatives happily living in Utopia? The question remains for them. Successful couples often look back to their years of struggle together and agree that those were the best years of life. And is simple happiness itself so obviously the meaning of life?

** So what I am supposed to learn from that for an exam? I asked the professor through an email and they replied ,"Students only need to see how different images of what life means call forth different actions, ways of responding to circumstance and suggest different interpretations of where value lies in human life. It is not a matter of memorizing what the text says in these examples, so much as being able to discuss how different interpretations people place on the meaning of existence result in various different ethical outlooks."

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

In my college philosophy class we learned about actual philosophers from Greek philosophy all the way to 20th century philosophers ... for your class I would critically analyze that section of Children as Meaning and figure out how to defend it on both sides and explain why it could be true and why it couldn't be true, basically take the abstract concept given and show that you understand what it's talking about...

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I took Philosophy in college and trust me. Unless this is a study of Philosophers , any paper you turn in , as long as it has substance will get you a good grade.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

What kind of Philosophy course is this? Any course worth its salt, unless it's a general requirement, should have you learning who said what to whom and why before they ask you to discuss positions in abstract terms like this. Actually, I'm being nice. These are not abstract terms, but really rather muddy-headed, a kind of New Agism faintly aware of Moore and Aristotle... maybe.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Introdructory to Phillosphy not a requirment just a requirment to move on into phillopshy which I won't be. ;)

6. yojitani, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Philosophy done properly is rigorous. I hope for philosophy's sake that you are somehow misrepresenting the course.

OK. I see what you've put in your initial quote is from this book:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=ek...&resnum=1&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Shame really. It appears to be a book aimed at confirming everyone's worst preconceptions about philosophy. I found philosophy to be much more stimulating by actually reading the books than getting the reader's digest version.

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Most philosophy courses will be T/F, fill in the blank, or multiple choice on factual data regarding historical information about philosophy and will be essay regarding philosophical ideas and theories. Generally professors are looking for your ability to critically analyze and interact with the concepts and material.

However, if you are concerned about this Waloshin then ask the professor what to expect and how might be the best way to study for an exam. Most teachers will be happy to give you this information.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

yeah I took it and dropped it a few weeks later. I hated the class and I learned nothing from it. I could not wrap my mind around the crap.
    Many of my engineering friends who did take philosophy hated the class as the logic arguments would go against science and our math base. It is one of those classes you find the engineers and science majors do not care for.

I got that credit by taking doing landscape architecture. While I did not care for the class I at least learned some stuff. Philosophy tends to be the multicultural credit I believe or a math credit. For me it would of been multicutural as I had 15 hours of math when I finished and now I am sitting at 21 hours of math credit.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I had to take one course since it's part of mandatory upper secondary education in here. And oh yeah, I did fail it :p Wrote an extra essay and got the lowest passing grade though.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I was a philosophy major my first year as an undergraduate, before I switched to psych.

Here's the bad news - it was so long ago I don't remember what the exams were like. And we were taking notes on stone tablets then. Very slow exams. :p ;)

Not helpful, I know. Follow the previous poster's advice - talk to the prof. I'm sure she/he will be glad to answer your questions.

12. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Worded spot on. I took Philosophical studies through Rice University here in Houston and this is exactly what my professors expected me to do. Or at least I think I did.

I'll have to do a metaphysical inquiry and get back to you.

13. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I had three mandatory philosophy classes in what could be considered as the last year of high school and first year of college (in the US).

The first one was boring, it was about the history of philosophy and logics. Exams were pretty straightforward.

The second one was cool, it was about existential questions such as the human nature, the reality (how do we know it really exists) and so on. We had to write some shot texts that analyzed some of these questions,

The third one was about ethics and politics and was my favorite between the three. We basically talked about the news with the teacher, and had to write one essay on a subject of our choice at the end of the class. Also, each week, we had to comment a news in an objective way.

All classes were easy, and I really felt it changed some of my points of view.

I enjoyed i

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I wrote papers, no exams. Good luck proving a student's answer is incorrect...

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Would that be the Monty Python film?

I took one year of it last year. I hated the stuff, but I got the highest grade because "I understood the core basic of the humanities".

16. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

A techie taking a philosophy course? For me, it was a recipe for disaster!

I practically had a mental breakdown that semester! Philosophy really messes with your mind!

Avoid!

17. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Even though I'm a techie I love messing with my mind ;)

EDIT: after all it's the only thing I'm sure of. I can't even know if I have a body for real.

18. chown33 macrumors 604

That's what they want you to think.

19. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

So adopt Objectivism.

20. Larry-K macrumors 68000

This is what passes for Philosophy Instruction at the College level these days?

21. MasterBSOD macrumors member

MasterBSOD

I like messing with others' minds.
    Or in some cases, lack thereof.