Who Turned to eBay/Craigs List for Your iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Larrabee213, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Larrabee213 macrumors regular

After spending 5 hours in line on two separate occasions to try and get an iPad 2, I gave in a got one on eBay. Actually got a decent price and local pick up!

Who else gave up and went to other means to get their iPad 2?

2. JayDH macrumors 6502

I was traveling on launch day, so I wasn't able to wait in line. After camping out at my local store earlier this week and striking out, I decided to just find one on CL. I paid a slight premium, but I got the model I wanted without waiting in line or driving all over searching. The time that I saved by using CL far outweighed the higher price.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The prices near me have all been too high to justify buying on CL. I would rather order and wait.

4. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

found a brand new 16G verizon 3G white for 750, only 50 more than regular price. seller is near by too, called up, it's sold. :mad:

5. Middiebear macrumors member

I was about to give in and purchase my iPad 2 on eBay and was willing to spend around $650 on a 16GB white wifi model (around $150 above MSRP)

I really needed an iPad with 3G capabilities and didn't want to spend the $750-$850 asking price for the 3G models on eBay so I decided to go early and wait in line at the local Apple store and pick-up the White Verizon model; so I'm happy that I decided to wait a couple of days and take a chance on the Apple store...

The MSRP on the White Verizon 16GB iPad 2 is $629 ($670 prob after tax at around 7%) so asking price of $750 is quite a mark-up; although not the the biggest mark up I've seen.

6. kevjen888 macrumors 6502

it is $50 more than the price i ordered through AT&T store. tax is close to 10% here in los angeles.

7. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Black 64GB AT&T models are regularly going for $1500 - $2000 on ebay. :eek: Crazy.

Tony

8. zaxdude, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

zaxdude macrumors 6502

wow....looks like a smoking deal here in Denver:

iPad2 64g 3G
    The seller only is asking 605 bux...says original receipt available!

9. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I got a rare?! 32gb ATT iPad 2 today on CL for $100 over.
    Then I sold a 16gb wifi ipad 2 today on CL for $150 over so it worked out.

10. tracerhawk macrumors member

tracerhawk

11. Larrabee213 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, not paying tax is huge. I got my 16gb wifi iPad 2 for $630. So I only paid about a $100 premium. Totally worth not standing in line ever again.

12. tsekh macrumors member

Try eBay, make sure to following all the rules so that you get paypal buyer protection. There are lot of scams on craigslist, beware.

On the first few days following the launch, I've seen many iPad 2 sold by desperate reseller-wanna-be at relatively low price on eBay, like 50-70 above retail price + tax. The price has risen a lot now, however. I'd say the $50 is something worth spending for not having to queue for hours in the cold...

13. zaxdude macrumors 6502

14. Zeos macrumors 6502

If you do tuen to these sources, you'll have more negotiating leverage on Craigslist since eBay plus Paypal seller fees add up to about 10% of the sale cost. CL is free for the seller.

15. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I folded and went through Craigslist. I felt a litle redemption as the guy I bought it from will be using the profit to purchase one for himself.

16. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

OK, I made two separate purchases online due to the fact that I didn't want to miss Fed Ex shipping like I did for the original ipad. My plan was to have one shipped to my work (I teach and we started Spring Break today) and one shipped to my home and cancel the one I wouldn't be at depending on the shipping date. When I received notification that the first one shipped (ordered about 20 minutes apart), I went online to cancel the other one but couldn't due to the "Prepared for shipment". I received the one at work yesterday and the other one came today at home.

So, I've put one (White 64GB wifi) on CL for $850 as it cost me $750 with tax. Most of the responses have offered between $750-$775 and I'm thinking to myself "Good luck" getting one in the next month....

I don't think my asking price is unreasonable as it will offset the cost of the one I have but what is your opinion of it. At worst, i spend $8 and ship it back to Apple (like I did with the original Ipad). It sat in the box for a week while I read about what people were using it for etc and found I probably wouldn't use it all the much.

17. gwen1o macrumors member

gwen1o

Your price is reasonable. I would stick with it. Also consider eBay. I just sold one on eBay and netted $100 when all was said and done. Happy buyer and happy seller.

PS I had been gettiing low ball offers from my Craigslist add all day, just held firm.

18. ilovesbux macrumors newbie

Paid 1040 for a 64gb white verizon ipad 2 - so about a 140 premium (tax is 9.25% here in santa clara county) from some older guy on craigslist - talked to him on the phone beforehand, he seemed legit, sealed in box had receipt from that morning (he had really wanted the GSM one for when he travels to Korea, but by the time he got up there this was all they had) I wanted it for my upcoming trip in 2 weeks, so it was worth it to me

19. AuburnApple macrumors member

I sold my 64GB AT&T model for $100 over what I paid after taxes. Probably could have easily gotten more, but I wasn't looking to rip anyone off. I decided to get a Verizon model instead, so I was happy to make a little profit and the buyer was happy because he had waited in line for the past 3 days trying to get one. You can probably get one at a small premium on CL, but you have to be fast.

20. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

I think $100 was more than fair a 3g att model. I don't know why but I just don't think people can get more than about $75 profit for wifi only models especially black 16gb models on CL. At least in Chicago that is. There are just way too many posted. I tried selling mine on ebay at $650 and didn't get any bites. Turned out good for me seeing that I didn't have to pay for ebay fees. I ended selling it on another forum's marketplace for $640 shipped. In the end I made about $90, which I guess is better than returning it. I wonder if anyone would trade their 64 white for my 32 gb black +110. Seems like 32gb's sell easier for some reason. Sorry for thinking out loud lol.

21. Usoandso macrumors member

Usoandso

Are people that stupid! You can buy a Mac for that. Far more value in a Mac than an iPad.

22. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

The prices on the Craigslist around me are re-donk-u-lous! $1200 for a 32GB WiFi? Take a hike.

23. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

i would hope people wouldn't be spending that much more for one, just wait I know it sucks but how can people justify spending hundreds more for a device when they can get one at retail in a few weeks

24. shadrap macrumors 6502

Craigslist sellers around me are trying to scare people saying that due to the tsunami there won't be any at the apple store.

25. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

I would spend an extra $100 over retail to get in now, but more than that and I'll wait it out.