Who upgraded from Unibody Macbook to 13" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hldomster, Jun 24, 2009.

1. hldomster macrumors member

I did, but only because it was a nominal cost once I factored in the price I got for my MacBook, student discount, free ipod and printer.

Got the 2.53GHz originally but it's got a faulty HDD, so I'm returning it and have decided to downgrade to the 2.26GHz as I have bought a WD SB 500GB HDD anyway, and a RAM upgrade is only £50, meaning I save £170ish by taking the slower processor (and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to notice the difference).

Worth it? Yeah, I think so. This one feels much more solid than the Unibody MacBook did; also, I had a problem with the MacBook that the battery cover would move slightly when typing, and would make a noise, and this isn't a problem with the new shell. I, personally, do not find that the battery life is improved significantly, if at all, but maybe I just had a great battery with my old one.

So, anyone else sell their 8 month old unibody for a new 13" MBP?

2. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I did I did.

There were 5 things that I always wished my UMB had.
    • Firewire
    • Backlit keyboard
    • Some kind of card reader
    • Better screen
    • Matte screen
    The release of the 13" MBP fixed 4/5 of the things I wanted, I had a friend looking for a notebook for <$1000, and I just sold an old iMac, so I decided that, while I have some extra money, I might as well upgrade.

Couldn't be more happy(unless I had a matte screen, then I'd be more happy)

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I bought mine four days before they refreshed them. Hell yeah, I got a new one! I also did the iPod Touch and printer deal...

4. cababah macrumors 68000

I bought a 13" uMB 3 days before they released the new ones...and I purchased it at a University Bookstore that did not take ANY refunds/returns on Apple purchases. I sold it to my sister and bought the 13" MBP on Monday :) I immediately noticed a superior screen but other that, nothing major. I also found the longer-lasting battery appealing.

5. cababah macrumors 68000

What was wrong with your HDD?

6. hldomster thread starter macrumors member

When moved it would make an awful click, and this was not comparable to any noise the one from my unibody had made. I phoned AppleCare, they asked me to see if it happened when the Mac was switched off. It didn't. They concluded it was faulty, and that it would be easier for me to just return the Mac.

7. hamish5178 macrumors member

I got my base uMB 8 days before WWC, I exchanged for the 13" Pro.

I wanted the:

Supposedly better screen
    much improved battery
    SD card slot
    Firewire

and a $25 Apple Gift Card with the price difference. It would have been stupid not to do it.

8. blakediamond macrumors newbie

i did as well.

I got a refurb for $1,100 plus tax back in feb. I sold it the day after WWDC on craigslist for $950. Then i used my friend's discount to get a 13"umbp for $980!

I'm happy as can be.

Dipset.

9. Yesterday macrumors newbie

bought the 13" umbp $1100 with free printer and ipod touch almost a week ago.

now selling my umb, printer, and touch.

i wish my umbp came with one of the better lcd. i got the samsung lcd... the umbp is also making a strange sound either coming from the fan or hdd that my umb didn't make.

10. poematik14 macrumors member

For the people that want a matte screen- isint there some kind of sticky film you can apply to the screen that mattes it? Im sure there is.

11. hamish5178 macrumors member

I have a Photodon Matte screen protector. It is very high quality (easy to install, no bubbles, etc.) and is very very good at reducing glare. However due to all the layers of the screen it creates a fuzzy look to the screen. There are RBG dots everywhere, the way LCDs look when they get greasy. So it's not quite the same as a genuine matte screen.