Who Uses a Case on their 3Gs?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by theturtle, Apr 20, 2010.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

hey guys! just got my 3Gs. i know, i should have waited but my phone was busted so i just decided to renew my contract. but anyways, i REALLY like the feeling of a naked iphone (im aware that they have shield and stuff, but i dont really like the feel it gives the back) but im kind of worried about scratches. im hoping thats just a phase and i could start using the phone just as a phone lol.

how many of you guys use the 3gs naked, no protector or case? just want an idea if people there are people like me who prefer the naked feel and (hopefully) don't really care about scratches.

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

You can get the best of both worlds by installing an invisible shield.

3. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Wow, my reading comprehension is way off...just saw that you don't like the shields. Never mind then ;)

4. steemax macrumors regular

steemax

I like it also without any case or screen protection, but I bought mine knowing Im going to end up selling it, so Id want to protect my investment, specialy since I paid $400 for mine :eek: I have both the invisble shield by zagg and an incase Gunmetal slider case, and I actually like them. :)

5. iTz KRaCKie macrumors newbie

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I'm obsessive-compulsive when it comes to keeping my 3GS in tip-top shape, so a good case is a must. But I like to put mine in my pocket (I'm not much on holsters), so I needed something that wouldn't get hung up too bad and be a lint-magnet.

I found the perfect combination of protection and functionality with the Otterbox Commuter (just the Commuter, not the TL) and an anti-glare screen protector. I take the case off about once a week to wipe the phone down and I don't have a single scratch as of yet (4 months).

I took a note from others with this case and cut a clear screen protector down to size so it covers the Apple logo on the back of the phone (as the Commuter doesn't have any sort of protective covering over the logo like the TL does), and it works perfectly. In fact, if you look at the clear protector over the logo at an angle, you can see just how many scratches I've saved the back of the phone from.

Another plus in my eyes is that the Commuter doesn't add much bulk to the phone.

7. whiteking macrumors newbie

Good case will keep your Apple iPhone from dust, scratching and shock. If not, you may be tired of it because it turn old. Maybe you can try silicone case.:p

8. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

If you are going to go naked with your iPhone and you keep it in your pocket, you really do need to protect it as you will likely get some nasty scratches. Also, there is the pocket dust problem (a REAL problem in MY pockets). I now like the nude feel of the phone vs how it was with the slider.

At first I had a slider, but went to the iKonic Edge pouch pictured below. It cost just $40 including shipping from New Zealand. Once broken in, it's very easy to remove the phone from the pouch. The pocket dust problem is eliminated by this pouch.

website
    http://www.ikonicedge.com/

Mike

[​IMG]

9. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I switch between two cases: a SwitchEasy Capsule Rebel M and a SwitchEasy Nude. The Capsule Rebel M has a lot of protective features and is quite styling. The Nude on the other hand is very minimalistic and is mostly for scratch protection. You should check out the Nude if you're really into the feel and form factor of a naked iPhone.

http://www.switcheasy.com/

10. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm i guessing the majority of you don't like to run naked on the iphone? i recently put a screen protector on though. deciding on if i want to put a BSE on back but i feel like thats overdoing it.

11. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Same here. I use an ifrogz for every day use and the Mophie Juice Pack Air when I plan on being away from a power source for a while.

12. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

There are a handful of people that I know who goes without a case for their iPhone, I on the other hand would like to keep my iPhone looking brand new so in the event of future resale, I could get a better value out of my device ;) for now I'm using Switcheasy's Vulcan (clear).

13. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I love the color, feel, and protection of the Blue PDO Silk Slider Case. I have dropped it several times (ya I'm a klutz) yet the phone is fine and the case just has a few scratches.
    Also small note it has soft stuff on the inside so the case does not scratch up the back of your iPhone. :)

14. punisher1-1 macrumors member

I agree I have a SwitchEasy RebelSerpant and it is amazing. It doesn't add that much bulk, adds great protection and looks great. After reading reviews about the black ones having a slightly sagging bottom (by the charging port) I went with the white and has no sag at all. Plus it comes with a stand, screen protectors and a dock adapter.
    http://www.switcheasy.com/

[​IMG]

15. thespazz macrumors 6502a

16. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

Even though it's admittedly rather pointless, I have a wrapsol skin on the back of my 3G S, and I also use a Power Support Crystal Air Jacket. I like that the wrapsol skin prevents watermarking... I'm mostly concerned w/ preventing scratches & some minimal drop protection as well; very minimal, I know.

17. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

+1 on the wrapsol! great matte texture and better than BSE/IShield imo.

i have that and a screen protector and that's it. so...close to naked, but not quite (the back of a naked iphone feels too slick for my liking).

18. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

I'm pretty new to the 3gs but I am not new to the Invisible shield by zagg. They work great! For some dumb reason, I put my phone in my pocket with some change and it didn't scratch. I suggest giving your phone at least the comfort of knowing that you will not need to worry about scratches, get the invisible shield, your phone will thank you.

19. alamperti macrumors member

alamperti

Since a couple of weeks I'm using a Incase Perforated Snap Case. It doesn't offer a great protection, tough. The little holes make the case elastic, very easy to snap on and off the phone. Moreover it doesn't bother when using the TomTom Car Kit, it's really thin.

ciao :)

20. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

21. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I had an iSkin Solo for a very long time (and I still have it). It is a very, very quality case. I picked up a candy shell from another MR member and have been using it for 2 weeks, and it's good as well. I'm not sure which I like better. They each have ups and downs, but I think both earn a solid A rating.

22. Boblister macrumors 6502a

I use a nice Marware black rubber case I got at an Apple store here in the UK. It's a flexible rubber, thin and very resilient. Easy to take on and off. I also got a Morphie to increase the battery life but it doubles up as a nice case as well.