Who uses a wire mouse with their MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VI™, Jan 14, 2014.

1. VI™ macrumors 6502a

I have a dilemma here. I need a mouse. I just returned a M.O.U.S.9 from Mad Catz as it's crap. Ironically, I can only get the bluetooth connection to work in OS X and not in Windows 7 and the only way to get anything but 3 button basic operation from the mouse is to plug in the optional dongle. In fact, the dongle is the only way to get it to connect in Windows 7 and I wanted a bluetooth so that I wasn't taking up one of the only two USB ports on my 15" rMBP.

So the dilemma here is what mouse should I go with? If I'm going to have to take up a wireless port, should I go ahead and use a wireless mouse? I want something with more than 3 buttons. I have a Razer Naga for my desktop usage and love it. The wireless Naga has a charging station that acts as receiver, so there's no small dongle for it. Plus, reviews state that the connection is finnicky. If I had to deal with that mess anyways, why not just go with the wired version?

Does anyone here use a wired mouse with your laptops? How do you manage the cables? Is there anything else out there that's wireless and would fit the bill of what I need?

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

If you're a Razer fan, you can check out the Orochi. It's pretty small, ergonomic and has bluetooth connectivity.

Personally, I prefer the Magic Mouse with my MBP because of the multitouch gestures I can configure via Better Touch Tool. On my desktop, I'm using my 3+ year old Razer Deathadder (the original optical one).

Logitech also has some bluetooth offerings but all their best mice require a dongle.

Regards
    Raptor

3. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Orochi doesn't have anywhere near the buttons I'd like to have. The Naga has 12 on the side plus additional buttons and I can't imagine a Magic Mouse being very good for gaming, especially once booted in to Windows 7.

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Oh, I didn't realize that gaming was on the agenda. Magic Mouse is a big no-no for gaming. I think that your best solution would be to get a small bluetooth mouse for standard use and use a wired Naga for gaming.

Raptor

5. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, since my options are limited I went with a dual mouse option. I purchased a Razer Orochi and Naga 2014 for the price of the Mad Catz I returned. I’ll use the Orochi for day to day travel and the Naga 2014 for gaming. I currently use the 2012 model Naga for my desktop so I know I really like that mouse. It’s a shame that the Epic wireless version has such bad reviews about the connectivity and that you have to use a wired dock/charging station as the wireless receiver instead of a dongle or else it would have been perfect.

6. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got my Razers yesterday and broke out the Orochi. It's very light and feels a little flimsy because of it, but it connects to OS X and Windows 7 via Bluetooth and all the buttons work as they're supposed to with the Synapse driver, unlike the M.O.U.S.9

The carrying case is much sturdier and has a partition to hold the supplied USB cable to plug it in if you need to. I'm going to get the Naga 2013(or is it 2014?) out this weekend and play with it. I'm hoping I can use my profiles from my older Naga with it. I like that Synapse carries everything over the interwebs so I don't have to set it up on each computer.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I like Razer and used on my Windows PC for a while until I retired my Windows 7 and didn't think Razer mouse would ever work on a Mac but it did. :apple: