Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does iPad Need Physical BT Keyboard?

• Keyboard is sometimes helpful

Votes: 56 75.7%
  • Keyboard is never useful

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Never knew of physical keyboard option

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
My laptop died. While awaiting delivery of my first iPad 2, I have been looking at various cases. Two have a keyboard option. As a touch typist, I've pecked a bit on demos at the Apple Store but have a feeling that extensive data entry is better done on a physical keyboard. Has anyone else felt the need for such or do you just get used to the virtual keyboard?

Last edited:

itsmefudge

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Middle of the Pacific
I type on my iPad and now ipad2 a lot(currently on one now). I mostly use the virtual keyboard, but do have an app,e Bluetooth keyboard which is nice to move the iPad a little further away on my desk and type, versus the onscreen one. It's rare though, bbut I like the option.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
I am a touch typist and typing on the screen wasn't the hardest thing in the world but when I bought my iPad I bought the Apple keyboard (which is the best keyboard I have used). When I want to do a lot of typing on the iPad I use the keyboard.

kushed

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
My laptop died. While awaiting delivery of my first iPad 2, I have been looking at various cases. Two have a keyboard option. As a touch typist, I've pecked a bit on demos at the Apple Store but have a feeling that extensive data entry is better done on a physical keyboard. Has anyone else felt the need for such or do you just get used to the virtual keyboard?

for what you want i would recommend the a real keyboard. ive had an iPad for awhile now and while i can type on it.. id much rather typer on my macbook

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I don't use it at all since I always have my MBA with me, but I do think that for some people it's useful to have, especially if they don't have a laptop.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
if i have some heavy typing to do, i'll break out the BT keyboard. Otherwise i just use the on screen keyboard

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Most respondents are confirming my suspicion. My iPad is not due until April 6 so I was sort of waiting until end of March to order a case. I have an old incase slipcase with handles used in the past for a 12" PowerBook. The iPad would fit in there but, then again so would the entire Kensington KeyFolio with keyboard. KeyFolio is looking better and better.

benjayman2

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Chicago
Most respondents are confirming my suspicion. My iPad is not due until April 6 so I was sort of waiting until end of March to order a case. I have an old incase slipcase with handles used in the past for a 12" PowerBook. The iPad would fit in there but, then again so would the entire Kensington KeyFolio with keyboard. KeyFolio is looking better and better.

I've read the typing experience for the keyfolio let alone any folio with a built in keyboard for the iPad is unacceptable.

LarzStarz

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
I'm in the 'April 1' group of folks waiting for their iPad 2. I did also order the bluetooth keyboard and have already received it. I'm planning to use it a lot for emails and such on the iPad. Plus, it doubles as my keyboard for my Macbook when I'm hooked up to my second monitor at my main desk. I love it! :D

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
I've read the typing experience for the keyfolio let alone any folio with a built in keyboard for the iPad is unacceptable.

Thanks for the heads up. iLounge reports typing experience is marginally better than on-screen keyboard. MyMac concludes its review with "The Kensington KeyFolio is a remarkable product. It is REALLY handy, probably not something you would use all the time, but definitely something to have when you know you may need to do a good amount of typing on the iPad." MobileTech gives it 4 out of 5 stars.

Aesthetically, the iLounge unretouched photos don't convey the level of luxury one might expect from images on Kensington website. White irregularly spaced stitching looks a bit tacky. The iPad 2 version is pending. Case adjustments for the thickness and cameras are necessary. It would also be nice if improvements were made to keyboard responsiveness. Since Kensington is maintaining prior price point, additional hardware development is unlikely. For now, we have only reviews of KeyFolio for iPad 1.

I'll investigate reviews for the ZAGGmate, which is more of a cover with stand than a folio so the back of the iPad is exposed.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Last edited:

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Another iPad BT Keyboard option

Another option, though $20 more, is the Clamcase. Whereas the ZAGGmate may make one inclined to cover the back with a skin (also from ZAGG), the Clamcase completely encloses the iPad -- essentially converting it into a netbook.

The peeve about the case not locking tightly may be resolved for the iPad 2 version since there are now magnets that can be employed in the case as well as and any spacebar issues.

Last edited:

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
I am coming to the conclusion that a 3G enabled MacBook Air would be my ideal companion. But alas, they don't exist (but could be tethered to an iPhone).

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
One of the things I love the most about working with my iPad, is that it goes anywhere and lasts all day... The compact size and battery makes it a killer device for notesessions for me... Use the CourseNotes a LOT...

I have tried my iMac BT keyboard a couple of times and it works like a charm, but i think I am about 80% speed on the screen and still improving, so that works fine for me.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
The only options that use a real, albeit a slightly smaller, keyboard are the Clamcase and ZaggMate. All the others use a 'rubbery keyboard' that doesn't have a Shift key on the right side of the keyboard. The Kensington, Sena, and Brookstone all use the rubbery keyboard.

I am ignoring the huge one available at Best Buy, the Rocket something or other. Also there's the Crux360, but it's not available yet, pre-order only.

I've used all of these and returned all but the ZaggMate and Clamcase, with the Clamcase getting the nod for convenience over the ZaggMate. The rubbery ones are horrible to use and only marginally better than the virtual keyboard. Also note the cases and folios are only for the iPad1.

Frankly, I've started to carry the Apple BT Keyboard in my laptop bag along with my iPad2 (with a Smartcover and skin on the back). If I have a lot of typing to do, I will use the keyboard. If I need more than the iPad, I take my MBA11.

While it's obvious, when using any of these keyboards you can't tether using BT.

gwen1o

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
I just bought the Apple wireless keyboard to use w/my iPad 2 and I love it! I like to be able to vary the distance between my iPad 2 and the keyboard, and you can't do that with the Zagg.

Read about this case on another thread and just ordered it. I'll be traveling quite a bit in the upcoming months and think this will be the perfect set up. :)

IrishTiger

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I was a launch day customer for iPad 1 3G and I bought a BT keyboard then as well. I thought it might be difficult to type on the iPad. It's not at all. I've NEVER used it. It just sits in front of the dock and looks pretty. lol.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
With all the technology (magnets) Apple has added to iPad 2, it seems manufacturers would come up with more creative solutions than the first crop listed on MacWorld.
Most look like they were rushed out the door with minimal design effort in the race to be among the first with a shipping product.

Last edited:

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I have the Apple BT keyboard. I got it soon after I got my iPad (when the original first went on sale.) The keyboard is great to type on, but I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. I've gotten pretty good at typing on the iPad itself. Also, it's frustrating to be typing on the BT keyboard, and then need to do something where I need to reach out and touch the screen to navigate. It makes for an odd mix of interfaces.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Made an inquiry to Clamcase support. Current case for original iPad includes a mod that addresses sticky keyboard issue mentioned in review. Designers are working on Clamcase for iPad 2 that should be shipping early summer.

One reviewer said, there is no "best" iPad case. Rather, you buy several and use the appropriate one for the day's activity. That may well be the case for me as I become more familiar with this transformative device.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2003
Conclusions

Thanks everyone for your feedback. iPad will arrive this week. Toying around with one that a friend purchased reveals my hands are much too large for the diminutive keyboard unless I hunt and peck. The iPad is, however, a great form factor for visiting my sites and closing sales when in the field (someone else's office). BT keyboards extend to the entire width of the iPad rather than just inside the display frame. Clamcase is my favorite keyboard-equipped case but it will apparently not ship until June. In the interim, I have ordered the iKIT iPad 2 Carbon Case.

Last edited:

gameboy213

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I use the Bluetooth keyboard from Apple occasionally but not too often. I found that the more I just sat and used the keyboard, mainly in landscape mode I can touch type pretty darn well on it.

I am right now actually. I grabbed the Text Test app, not sure of the name, and it helped a bunch too after using that for a few nights. It is weird to type on the glass but I am pretty proficient now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.