Who uses double protection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by str8bucs, May 4, 2010.

1. str8bucs macrumors regular

Just a question about how you protect your macbook and if you use double protection.

I use a Speck SeeThru and InCase Sleeve

2. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Seems like quite a lot. I've only ever seen people using one cover. I just use a Tucano Second Skin which protects my MBA from scratches.

Do you find you need two cases?

3. str8bucs thread starter macrumors regular

Well not really but I worry about dents when i put it in my backpack the reason for the Speck

Now as for the incase sleeve..... i guess just a little paranoid:eek:

4. jimstraw macrumors newbie

5. str8bucs thread starter macrumors regular

6. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

I use a bestskinsever/invisible shield for scratch protection, and sometimes a speck/incase hardshell case on top of that to protect a bit from dents. Then the whole thing goes into one of my various laptop bags with a built-in padded sleeve. Yea I'm paranoid (I use a moshi clearguard keyboard cover too).

7. johnalan macrumors regular

I don't mean to be rude, but I think your nuts trying to protect the laptop this much,

A. it makes it bulky,
    B. it looses it's superior asthetic qualitys

In my opinion you're much better off using the laptop as intended, even if it does get the odd scuff, because at least then your getting the maximum enjoyment out of it using it the way it was designed.

In the end you'll probably end up selling on that laptop to a stranger to partly fund your next upgrade, and you know, chances are they'll just use it normally and all your efforts to protect it will go down the drain anyway.

I used to be like this and I can understand people wanting to keep something like a MBP new and nice, but really I think the best thing to do is be careful with it, even if I end up with a few marks on it, I'd rather have been the one to put them there instead of the careless stranger I sell it onto!

Regards,
    John

8. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

I have a zagg invisible shield (full body minus the track pad piece) and an incase snug neoprene zip case. Great protection in a very portable setup!

9. Istrancis macrumors newbie

Istrancis

But you'll likely get more money for it if it's in a better condition, right? That's certainly incentive enough to protect your gear, IMHO!;)

10. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

If you wrap it twice, you're actually more likely to have it break...

wait.. what are you asking?

11. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

I am in the same boat as you. In my case I use both an incase sleeve and incase hardshell on my MBP. It may seem excessive but my MBP is in near mint condition after some 8 months of heavy use. From time to time I will be a little risque and use my MBP naked only using the sleeve for transport, and it does feel better. Though I did get 2-3 nicks and all of these occurred when I had no protection at all. BTW I also use a Moshi keyboard protector as well and was also thinking about getting an invisible shield on top of that!!:eek:

Is all of this too much for an expendable piece of consumer electronics? Maybe but I have seen more than my share of 1-2 year old laptops that look like SH*& just because of carelessness and lack of adequate protection. I have sold several laptops and desktops over the years and in the case of Macs aesthetics do weigh more heavily than you may think. Also if you decide to keep your machine long term its nice to have one that still looks good after 3-5 years of use.

In the end it all depends on you; how careful you are, and how long you intend to keep the machine. If you never travel and leave your MB at a desk or only use it in bed with a carpeted floor then who cares about protection. Likewise if you are willing to be neurotically careful protection can be avoided as well. But if you have a life and live in the real world protection is a must. Alas, we are still talking about an expendable piece of consumer electronics, remember that.:D

12. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

It really depends on each individuals but for me if there is a little nick/scratch on my Macbooks I go OCD and constantly look at it or run my finger over it since I know its there. Especially these new Aluminum unibodies, not talking about scratches but you know the "pitting" on the edges? They are super prone to that. To be able to use the laptop normally and just "enjoy it" for me I like to have the invisible shield and moshi clearguard cover on so I can just use it, instead of worrying every second if I'm going to scratch it.

Besides, when i resell my stuff I like to give it to the new owner is as great as a condition I can possible provide so that the new owner can enjoy it. I've bought some used Macbooks before for various family members who didn't want to pay retail etc. and some of these units were in such terrible condition I mean c'mon, you spent your hard-earned cash on it might as well try to take care of it a little.

Anyways to each his own.

13. hajime macrumors 68030

Do you have sample photo(s)?

14. trondah macrumors 6502

With an invisibleshield or wrapsol you can have the "nude" Macbook feeling and also keep it as fresh as it was day 1. In my opinion it makes the Macbook look even better.

Every year I sell my pristine looking Macbook to get the latest model, with very little loss. It really increases the reselling value. I'm fine with being "nuts" if it means I always get the latest MBP ;)