Who uses NeoOffice?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hoodgyno, Jul 17, 2010.

1. hoodgyno macrumors newbie

I was wondering if any of you folks use NeoOffice and found it to be a great alternative to the "paid" word processors out there? What are your gripes, if any?

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I have Word, Pages and I have been using NeoOffice since my first MacBook, back in 2006.

It is an unbelievably good alternative to the others. Word is the best by far, in my point of view, but there are two features that I keep using Pages for - full screen view and the templates.

If you really needed Word or Pages, you would already know by now.

Get NeoOffice and enjoy it - spend the money on something that really makes your computing effective.

3. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I also use NeoOffice. I don't have any other "office suite" programs on my Mac. I've had no problems with it - I occasionally print envelopes & mostly use the spreadsheet, and imported all my former Word files with no problem.

4. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I use it. There are some formatting differences between Excel and NeoOffice where one shows dates as "07/17/2010" and the other as "07/17/10". Nothing earth shattering.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I use NeoOffice and Pages. Each as their uses for me. I don't have any MS Office apps at all, and have not felt that I was losing anything.

I actually donated to the NeoOffice effort, on the theory that they were saving me the cost of Office, and least I could do was to help them out. I got a nice personal note back. :D

They don't do this as a charity.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

7. bigwig macrumors 6502a

NeoOffice has better importing capabilities than Pages. For example, it can import old Word '95 documents, while Pages can't. I've also encountered situations where NeoOffice's import and save-as capabilities were more reliable and likely to produce good files than OpenOffice was. On the other hand, NeoOffice is a lot uglier and a lot slower than Pages.

8. Sushi Dude macrumors newbie

Sushi Dude

I use OpenOffice.org because it is free too. I love the idea of freedom!