Who uses or has used the eyepiece cover?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by 100Teraflops, May 11, 2012.

1. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

I was combing through a user manual and found a section about an eyepiece cover. So, who has implemented the 'eyepiece cover' into their workflow? Are there any other uses for the eyepiece cover? I read that it's uses include blocking light from entering the viewfinder, but has anyone used it while capturing video?

Also, I don't use a neck strap. Admittedly, I used it twice, but removed it as it interferes with the way I handle a camera. I did not notice the eyepiece cover until I looked at a strap. I miss the darndest things!

2. Zh2 macrumors member

Hi,

Very odd indeed - I, only today, worked out how to remove the eye piece and attach the cover. I have been playing with a variable ND400 filter and I could not work out why the images were 'orrrible! The images are now better - more work required though.

Regards.

Z.

3. snberk103 macrumors 603

My system has a built in cover, and I just flick a lever. I don't use it too often since I almost always have my eye behind the viewfinder, or I'm already shooting in manual.

However, I always use the neck strap, except for when it's on a tripod. I keep the strap on until I've confirmed the camera is securely fastened. I put the strap on before I take it off the tripod. I've seen too many cameras fall out of hands. Hands that are cold are notorious for dropping things. Catching your toe on a rock often means your reflexes kick in. Which involve dropping what you are carrying ...

4. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

The eyepiece cover isn't really used often but it does serve an important role. When metering very dark scenes or when using a strong ND filter, light entering the viewfinder can interfere with the meter reading because the metered light "through the lens" is so dim.

So you use the eyepiece cover to prevent that from happening, and get an accurate exposure.

It is also possible that light entering the viewfinder can actually get into the lightbox while an exposure is being taken. For that reason, people often leave the eyepiece cover on when actually taking the picture too (again, when using long exposures in bright daylight such as when you use a ND filter).

In my experience, I have not had problems with this except when using my 10-stop ND filter. Then I use the cover, or more accurately, I cover the viewfinder with my thumb or some other object. some people have fashioned little "drapes" that attach to the camera hotshoe and then drape a small piece of cloth over the viewfinder, in lieu of using the official cover. This is because on most cameras you have to remove the rubber eyecup to install the cover, which is fiddly and tedious. Higher Nikons (Canons too?) have a viewfinder shutter as snberk says, by flipping a lever.

Re: neck straps- I don't really use them either. When walking with a backpack I use the Op/tech backpack straps that apply the weight of the camera to the backpack shoulder straps instead of around my neck. When shooting I typically just hold my camera in my hand. Actually I find the op/tech strap system to be very versatile, because it has in-line connectors that allow you to add various types of strap to your camera with ease. For example I have a neoprene neck strap that I can also swap for the above mentioned backpack straps, and also two short lengths of strap that I can leave on and use as a wrist strap if I want as well (these are actually the adjustable portion of my neoprene neck strap). And when I want no strap, I just disconnect everything and am left with two small clips on my camera body, which keeps clutter down.

I don't leave straps on my camera when using a tripod as I feel it just gets in the way and is a potential to get snagged/caught on something and tip the tripod over, or pull it out of my hands, etc.

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Yes, well my old 1D MkII has it, I assume newer versions have something similar.

6. WRP macrumors 6502a

7. fpnc macrumors 68000

I use the eyepiece cover for all of my astrophotography since the TTL viewfinder is pretty useless for astrophotography (need to use the magnified liveview for manual focus and the articulated LCD display to frame/find the subject when the camera is pointed almost directly up toward the zenith). Besides that when you create a so-called darkfield shot for calibration you absolutely don't want any light reaching the interior of the camera (I use a lens cover, stop down to the smallest aperture, sometimes put a dark cover over the lens, and use the eyepiece cover).

8. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Take a look at the Black Rapid camera strap. I love it more and more with each use. I didn't even use the Nikon D4 strap that came with my camera because it says: "try to steal me"... Check the Black Rapid, you might like it.

9. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I'll throw in a second vote for the Black Rapid, I tried a couple different traditional style straps and once I used a Black Rapid I never looked back.

10. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I'll second the Op/Tech system! I love it. I now have a neoprene sling strap (think black rapid), neoprene neck strap (never actually used since I hate neck straps, and a neoprene wrist strap, all for less than what a single black rapid would have cost me. And they all attach and reconfigure with a couple quick connects. Beautiful. And if I wanted, I could add the backpack straps Ruahrc mentioned for next to nothing.

11. WRP macrumors 6502a

Yup, the RS-5 is all I use now. The optional screw for the manfrotto plates is ideal.

12. 100Teraflops thread starter macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Thanks to all for the information and the recommendations for Black Rapid! I knew that members of this forum used an eyepiece cover!

13. 365Imagery macrumors newbie

star trails, lightning storms and other low light long exposure situations .. that's where your cover comes in.

14. NatalieJohn macrumors newbie

Even I have never used it. Just want to grab some information about it. Is it helpful in photography ? Looking forward for your reply. Thanks.

15. righteye, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012

righteye macrumors 6502

TIP; on a Canon 5Dmk2 you will find that the camera body cap fits perfectly on to the eyepiece cup, Voila!

All cameras should have an in built eyepiece cover its a cost saving thing.

16. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I use it frequently when on a tripod and using a cable release, especially in bright light where there could be a ton of light coming in the viewfinder.