Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Spaces?

• Yes

Votes: 157 62.3%
  • No

Votes: 95 37.7%

• Total voters

Hurd111

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2008
I use spaces. For me, it makes things a lot less confusing when a lot of apps are open.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Not me. I tried it and there were just too many compatibility problems, even with Apple's own software. A program that had been defined for one space would open windows in other spaces, etc. Too much headache. I finally just turned it off and have been happy ever since.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I love Spaces, I want to marry Spaces.... Ok, bit extreme :eek:

Seriously though, I love spaces. I have 9 different spaces set up and I use most on a daily basis. Makes my life easier being able to keep everything I want open and can move between spaces fast to get to another app.

Sometimes it gets a bit hung up on itself and you find if you open lets say Word, then the toolbar that is detached will remain on another space (hoping that might get fixed) but I still love working with spaces...

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I want to like Spaces but I can't seem to get a decent workflow going with it enabled. I'm passing on it for now.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Not extensively. I only use two really. First for general use, and the 2nd for iTunes so that it remains maximised and uncluttered.

3 and 4 are for VMWare and rarely used mostly full screen apps.

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
i put things like internet and msn in the main space and photoshop or acquisition in the other one ! makes more "space". :p

PeterQC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
I just use Exposé, a lot more efficient when you have a multi touch trackpad (Seriously, couldn't live without it now that I'm used to that :O

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I don't really bother, I just hide whatever apps I'm not using, it's easier for me. I've actually got Spaces disabled at the moment because the shortcuts (control key + arrow) kept changing from one space to another whenever I'm in Parallels, and I use Parallels quite a bit.

That said, it's a decent feature which I've used occasionally, mainly when I have a lot of apps open at once and I just want to concentrate on one.

bpasker

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Minnesota
Spaces is a great feature. I have all my most common apps assigned to a desktop. Using Control and then the arrow key gets my over to my next application.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
even on my 20" iMac I find it totally necessary to keep things organized and clutter-free.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
At work I have a MBP with Windows running full-screen on Fusion on the laptop display and everything else on a 30" Cinema Display. In the last two weeks I have been working in a remote lab without the ACD where I needed Windows and OS X displays available, so I gave it a shot. It works well, but I'll probably keep using it only when the external display isn't available.

At home I don't use it at all.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I probably couldn't use a Mac without them. I have six and I use them all, it's easier for me to switch to a new space than to show/hide applications.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
It gets too confusing and jumbled using spaces. I often forget what goes where and spend too much time hunting down a window. Expose is the shiznitz. The most powerful feature of OS X.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I use Spaces every day, I love it. Somewhat odd sometimes with two monitors, but it works very nicely nonetheless. I don't need it, but it fits into how I use my computer quite easily. :)

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
Yeah I definitely use spaces. It's nice. I don't know if I would say it is essential, but it helps me to reduce clutter and focus on the task at hand.
I have 3. I keep all my Adobe apps in one (that's my "business" space). I keep iTunes and a couple other apps that I only need to access occasionally in another. I also use YouControl Tunes so that I can control iTunes without having to switch to the iTunes space. I have another space for Garageband. That is the space that I use when I want to feel like a rockstar, when I am really just a nerd who plays with his midi board too much. Oh and Firefox follows me where ever I go.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
My blackbook is still running Tiger, so Spaces was totally new to me when I got the new glassbook. I've really been using it a lot the past few days and I really like it. I was used to just using the "All windows" feature w/shortcut to a corner of my desktop, but now I use spaces pretty much constantly. I always put the same stuff in the same space so it's easy to keep them straight. One for Windows (Fusion), one for internet browser & iTunes or iChat, one for Word and PDF's, and one for Powerpoint. This really helps me to stay organized while taking notes in class & simultaneously entertaining myself. :D

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
Nope. Never use it. I can't get over the fact that you can't have the same app running in two different "spaces."

This frustrated me at first too, until I realized I could drag & drop an open app from space to space. Makes things lots easier.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I don't use it all the time, but when I do I find it very handy to reduce clutter and better organize my workspace(s). Whether it's having iTunes playing in a separate space while I'm working, having my torrent client running in a separate space, behind the scenes, or having a dedicated space for my remote access windows and apps when I'm working from home, I find the virtual desktops that Spaces provides to be slick and handy.

Mr$Whale

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just started using Leopard a few weeks ago from using Tiger for about three years. I tried to use spaces, but it was frustrating considering I had my work patterns set with expose. I would utilize spaces if the dock would change with the space, thus limiting my applications as I work (one space for PDFs/Word for thesis writing, one for Itunes/Ichat/firefox for dicking around). For now, I'm fine with utilizing expose and hiding items or putting them in the dock. I keep my dock small sized and have it hide when not actively in use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.