Who uses the 11" as their main machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mirai 11, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Mirai 11 macrumors 6502

Mirai 11

Just wondering how someone can manage the small screen for a long period of time, especially if they use it as their main computer, if anyone has stories to tell of this or why they've now switched from a 11" to a 13", it would be appreciated. :)

2. curtoise macrumors 6502a

I'm using it as my main machine, at the office I hook it up to a Thunderbolt Display and then on the road is the perfect laptop to carry around, extremely small and very powerful, love it. (I do web development)

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Thread doesn't make sense unless we know what you do with your computer all day.

4. curtoise macrumors 6502a

As stated in my previous post I do web development (Coda 2, Photoshop, Mamp, 100 safari tabs open, Vmware fusion, etc)

5. LeeM macrumors 6502a

mine could potentially manage as a main machine, if it really had to. ive got a 22" screen though which would take up the slack (currently used with my pro)

6. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I do. I am a web software developer. I use the screen alone, or on dual thunderbolts. Both are comfortable. I will never use another laptop bigger than 11". Even a 13" feels huge.

7. tann macrumors 68000

I'm tempted by a 11" or 13" Air to replace my 2010 MBP, I'm still deciding whether I'll buy a new laptop this year or maybe wait until next.

So people with the 11", what did you use as a main device before?

I'm thinking the 13" is more appealing, due to the 12 hour battery life, but since the rMBP 13 has the same battery life as the old MacBook Air, I'm tempted to see what the new one would be rated at.

Apple are really spoiling us with all the options.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So you DO use external monitor(s).

Performance wise, it sounds adequate, but if I have program on my 11" and can't use a big monitor, would drive me boinkers.

9. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I use the laptop alone all the time. I've coded beautifully on long flights or in airport terminals on the 11". Make good use of full screen apps and mission control spaces.

10. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Had an 11" and loved the portability, but soon found that the screen was just too small. Text was smaller, screen space was smaller. Just uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. Even though I travel a lot, the 13" just suits me better and is only about a half pound more. Hardly a big deal.