Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
For those with the new apple watch series 2 nike edition, and you use it for running presumably, how is it overall?? Is the nike running app better than apple's stock one?? Are you able to completely use the watch alone without the iPhone with the new series 2??

thanks

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
For those with the new apple watch series 2 nike edition, and you use it for running presumably, how is it overall?? Is the nike running app better than apple's stock one?? Are you able to completely use the watch alone without the iPhone with the new series 2??

thanks

I'm using Nike watch running almost everyday. I'm a beginner so I'm using the coach on Nike+ NRC to coach me how to run. Since the coach is not on the watch I have to bring iphone along.
I think Nike+ NRC app is an improvement on vanilla running workout app on Apple Watch. You can check how you run more thoroughly. You can check Pace & Heart Rate in any position of the run so you can analyze and try to improve your run next time.

This is the way I use it. If you're an experienced runner then obviously you'll use it differently.

Reactions: backinblack875

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
I have a Series 2 watch and use the NRC app for all of my runs and it works fine for me. I usually run about 20 miles a week and have never lost a run using the app or had it crash on me. Yes .. it is much better than the native Workout app for two reasons .. 1. Voice Feedback, I find this very helpful and get updates every .25 mile. 2. The ability to get your data to sites like Strava using RunGap, the native Workout app doesn't allow you to export GPS data.

I don't ever run with my phone .. just the watch and Bluetooth earbuds.

The only thing you get with the Nike version of the watch are additional watch faces and the Nike band .. which you can now buy from Apple separately.

GAUG3

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
I'm a runner and cyclist. I'm really trying to like my AW2 Nike series for running. I've been running with both Garmin 910xt and the AW. Measuring heart rate on the wrist is much slower than my Garmin chest strap. It does pretty good at distance tracking. However, my running workouts are very detailed with specific time in specific HR zones. AW sucks when it comes to fast intervals. By the time my HR shoots up and levels out on the AW, my interval is over with.

I could get a bluetooth chest strap but I'd rather just stick with my Garmin.

ETA: Yes. You can use the watch without phone during your run. I use Strava app.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
USA
I have a Series 2 watch and use the NRC app for all of my runs and it works fine for me. I usually run about 20 miles a week and have never lost a run using the app or had it crash on me. Yes .. it is much better than the native Workout app for two reasons .. 1. Voice Feedback, I find this very helpful and get updates every .25 mile. 2. The ability to get your data to sites like Strava using RunGap, the native Workout app doesn't allow you to export GPS data.

I don't ever run with my phone .. just the watch and Bluetooth earbuds.

The only thing you get with the Nike version of the watch are additional watch faces and the Nike band .. which you can now buy from Apple separately.
How do you listen to music? Can you store some music on the watch? Or do you have 3rd party earbuds with storage onboard?

cyberhound

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2013
Awesome, didn't know you could do that
[doublepost=1495311637][/doublepost]Why is the Nike edition $100 more then the sport edition? Isn't the exact same except the band?

It's not $100 more. It's a series 2 Watch. Both the series 2 sport models cost the same as the series 2 Nike Watch. The only difference are the band and the Nike faces. Both the series 2 sport and the Nike cost $100 more than the series 1.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I've been using Nike+ since it was launched 10 years ago, and bought the Nike+ version of the watch when it was released. So, I definitely qualify as a "fan."

However, I personally can't recommend the Nike+ watch to anyone intending to use it primarily for the Nike+ Run Club app. It crashes constantly on my watch, resulting in freezes that require me to restart the watch. I've been working with both Apple and Nike to try to determine the cause. The watch works perfectly is in all other respects. The Apple workout app is rock-solid. it's just the NRC app with which I have trouble.

I'm not alone, either. Read the reviews in the iTunes app store, and filter them to show the "most critical." You'll find dozens of people describing the same issue: the app crashing on the watch and freezing everything up.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I've been using Nike+ since it was launched 10 years ago, and bought the Nike+ version of the watch when it was released. So, I definitely qualify as a "fan."

However, I personally can't recommend the Nike+ watch to anyone intending to use it primarily for the Nike+ Run Club app. It crashes constantly on my watch, resulting in freezes that require me to restart the watch. I've been working with both Apple and Nike to try to determine the cause. The watch works perfectly is in all other respects. The Apple workout app is rock-solid. it's just the NRC app with which I have trouble.

I'm not alone, either. Read the reviews in the iTunes app store, and filter them to show the "most critical." You'll find dozens of people describing the same issue: the app crashing on the watch and freezing everything up.

Luckily I'm using the app on iPhone so haven't experienced any crashing. When you launch the app on the phone it also launch the app on the watch automatically, which is sweet.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Luckily I'm using the app on iPhone so haven't experienced any crashing. When you launch the app on the phone it also launch the app on the watch automatically, which is sweet.
Not quite sure I understand. You mean you are running the app on both your iPhone and the watch?

Also, do you your workouts to the leaderboards? Because I have trouble doing that as well. I've logged more than 700 miles this year, but the leaderboards stopped counting my miles in mid-February. I've been "stuck" on 333 miles ever since then.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Not quite sure I understand. You mean you are running the app on both your iPhone and the watch?

Also, do you your workouts to the leaderboards? Because I have trouble doing that as well. I've logged more than 700 miles this year, but the leaderboards stopped counting my miles in mid-February. I've been "stuck" on 333 miles ever since then.

I'm running the app on the phone (Voice feedback comes from the phone), but it also launch the app on the watch so you can keep the phone in your pocket and check pace on the watch. Pretty sweet I say. And you can also finish your run on the watch, instead of the phone.
Not sure is this behavior specific to Nike watch or any series 2 with nrc installed can do this too though.

I don't have any problem with leaderboard. I'm just a beginner so my data ain't much I think.

Last edited:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I'm running the app on the phone (Voice feedback comes from the phone), but it also launch the app on the watch so you can keep the phone in your pocket and check pace on the watch. Pretty sweet I say. And you can also finish your run on the watch, instead of the phone.
Not sure is this behavior specific to Nike watch or any series 2 with nrc installed can do this too though.

I don't have any problem with leaderboard. I'm just a beginner so my data ain't much I think.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Wish I had the same luck with my Nike+ Apple Watch. It crashes. The leaderboards don't work. It never lets me send "virtual fist bumps" and never notifies me of when my friends have run. Basically, none of the Nike+ Run Club features that Apple advertises on its website work on my watch.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

I run the Nike app on my iPhone and the Workout app on my :apple:Watch (also use a Garmin). I don't allow Nike to write any Health data and use as a (3ed) backup.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I run the Nike app on my iPhone and the Workout app on my :apple:Watch (also use a Garmin). I don't allow Nike to write any Health data and use as a (3ed) backup.
Thanks for the additional info. Also, I have allowed the Nike app to write to the Health data — I wonder if that might be causing the crashes.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for the additional info. Also, I have allowed the Nike app to write to the Health data — I wonder if that might be causing the crashes.

Could it be Voice Feedback, since native running app doesn't have it and it never crashes?

I would imagine it must tag CPU quite hard having feedback in real time.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
Could it be Voice Feedback, since native running app doesn't have it and it never crashes?

I would imagine it must tag CPU quite hard having feedback in real time.

Doubt it. I have never had the NRC app crash and get voice feedback every .25 miles. I think I have run at least 200 miles with the NRC app (watch only) and it has been rock solid. I would think it would more likely be a conflict with another app .. just a guess though.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Doubt it. I have never had the NRC app crash and get voice feedback every .25 miles. I think I have run at least 200 miles with the NRC app (watch only) and it has been rock solid. I would think it would more likely be a conflict with another app .. just a guess though.

So you never have NRC crash on the watch? Just want to confirm.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
So you never have NRC crash on the watch? Just want to confirm.

That's right .. no crashes on the watch. I don't run with my phone .. just my Series 2 and some Bluetooth earbuds. When I run I usually start the music app first, then the NRC app with a 9 second countdown which hopefully helps get a GPS and HR lock.

I will say I don't have a lot of other 3rd party apps installed on my watch.

Reactions: matrix07

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
That's right .. no crashes on the watch. I don't run with my phone .. just my Series 2 and some Bluetooth earbuds. When I run I usually start the music app first, then the NRC app with a 9 second countdown which hopefully helps get a GPS and HR lock.

I will say I don't have a lot of other 3rd party apps installed on my watch.

Thanks. I will try that setup.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I suspected voice feedback awhile back and disabled it. App still crashes.

I would think it would more likely be a conflict with another app .. just a guess though.
That could be it. However, I don't have any third-party apps other than the Nike+ Run Club app on the watch. Everything else is pure Apple.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I haven't had any NRC crashes on the watch for quite a while. Initially it had issues with sometimes not storing the GPS info, but that was fixed with a couple updates months ago. I never run with my phone.

The biggest issue for me is that it's not really workable for any races. It's pretty fiddly to start the run exactly as I cross the Start line and trying to end the run exactly as I cross the finish while soaked in sweat simply doesn't work.

For these reasons I've kept my FR235 watch. I wear both during runs, partly because I keep music and podcasts on my AW2 to play via my bluetooth headphones. The WatchPlayer app for podcasts is great.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
There is no Sport and the Series 1&2 are available in Gold Aluminum. Do you mean the Nike+?

Yeah.. sorry.. typing without thinking. I mean't i am peeved that there is no Gold Aluminum Nike+ watch. Basically I would have to buy the Gold Aluminum with the sport band and purchase the Nike band separately, paying an additional $50 for a watch without the Nike+ software features. C'est clair?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.