Who usually keeps an SD card in the slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iEric, Aug 4, 2011.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

2. sloan47 macrumors member

I don't think SD is worth the cost... especially for the performance you get. If I need the additional space, I can just keep an external HD with me or mount to my fileserver while at home.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm thinking about just getting a 32GB or so and keeping my music on it.

4. Openbook macrumors newbie

dang thats a hefty card there! I used a sd card to transfer a few files today, the card sticks out quite far IMO, I can't see keeping a card in there full time unless I was just using my MBA in a single place.

5. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Same here - sticks out too much on the MBP.

But here us an idea for an enterprising individual - use a microSD card with a modified microSD to SD card adapter that has been modified to only have a few mm stick out, enough to grab with your nails.

AFAIK the microSD adapters are only mechanical adapters.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Yeah, why apple did not use a flush mount slot is beyond me.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Most likely because a spring loaded slot would make the components thicker and more moving parts. It's really the only logical explanation.

8. f00f macrumors 65816

There's an SD card slot??

Oh ya, look at that. Wonder if the wifey will let me use that to justify buying a newer DSLR. ;) My current cam uses CF cards! :eek:

Can't see using that slot for much other than photography purposes. USB sticks are much more portable (read: platform independent) for everyday flash storage. Unless of course every machine I use has an SD card slot... or I carry around a card reader (which I do.. for those CF cards...) in which case the MBA SD card slot is just a lint magnet. :rolleyes:

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I Wouldn't Leave

A card in the slot personally.....You are supposed to eject them after all. Nor would I want to rely on one for backup or storage. Mind you, space is one thing I'm not short on....With 1TB in the iMac, a 1TB in a caddy connected to the iMac, and 8TB of network storage, I'm not going to run out of storage space any time soon.

My HD Video camera uses 2 x 128 cards which auto switch during shooting, they are AHCD so wouldn't even consider taking them out of the camera unless I was going to upgrade.

I think a cheap external drive is a better bet if you are low on space. You could go down the esata route if you want the extra speed. My caddy excepts 2.5, 3.5, and esata drives so I can swap out if I want to.