Who waited in line for the iphone 5/5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s3kenny, Sep 14, 2014.

1. s3kenny macrumors newbie

How early did you get in line?
    What position roughly were you at that time?
    Did you get what you came for?

2. kchengg macrumors newbie

Waited for 5S last year at Apple's prime apple store (5th ave NYC).

Started 11pm the night before, until 8am the next morning. Was about 200th in line. Gold instantly sold out, silver sold out just before I was able to purchase. Only space grey available at the time (unbelievable).. Line grew to over 2000 people when the iPhone was released. They were selling phones all day and had a surplus of space grey in stock, kept selling until the day end. So those who didn't even wait overnight got it.

But remember, there was no pre-ordering.

3. Ashtar macrumors regular

I have only waited once because there wasn't a preorder and that was for the 5s last year. I waited outside of the AT&T store. i got there about 3:30 AM and there were only a few people. By the time the store opened, though, there were probably 45 folks lined up.

I was fourth in line. All they had in store were space grey, which is what I wanted.

4. billchase2, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I waited 9 hours in line for the original iPhone, 4 hours for the 3GS, 4 hours for the 4, and pre-ordered my 5 and had it shipped to my house. Each time there were only a hand full of people in front of me.

5. s3kenny thread starter macrumors newbie

6. KisakiSama macrumors member

KisakiSama

For the 4, I got in line at 6:15 and was out before 10 (I did the reservation so it went pretty quick). For the 5, I was in line around 6:30 (probably 100 or so people ahead of me) and got out around 11. I'll be waiting in line again, but I plan to get there around 5 to get a crack at being further up. I'm fortunate that both of the Apple stores here are in malls so we have to play by the mall's rules and no one can line up, say, a week ahead of time.

7. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I did and I got screwed so I ordered online cuz I didn't want to settle and that was hell waiting for my gold

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

yep and yep. Last year specifically I got in line at 6 AM (because that is what the mall said) and was already 200 in line. Needless to say I wasn't able to purchase a White 5S. Will go around 10PM-Midnight this time.

9. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I waited about 3 hours for the 3G back in the day. It wasn't too bad.

If my pre-order ship date isn't bumped up by next Thursday I'll head to my local Apple Store around 3AM and hope for the best.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

FYI: where ever you plan on waiting in line, if it's not on a public street be sure to call up the management office of the mall and find out what there camp out rules are. They vary by mall and also local code. The last thing you want is to get to the mall at 2am only to find out you can't camp out there or even stay in the parking lot until the time when the do allow a line to form.