who wants a backlit bluetooth keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joeyboyyy91, Apr 23, 2011.

1. joeyboyyy91 macrumors member

So does anyone else think apples next bluetooth keyboard should have backlit keys? and possibly black coloured keys, like macbook pro's etc, instead of white.

Is this possible?

What are your opinions - lets discuss.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah there is a major problem with backlit wireless keyboards: The batteries aren't going to last for months anymore, are they? Where is all that power for the lights going to come from?

3. Ommid macrumors 6502

Since when do they last months!?

I would love a backlit keyboard! Laser cut aluminium keys with 16.5 million colour LEDs please :D

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

My Apple wireless keyboard lasts 2-3 months on regular AA batteries.

If your wireless keyboard was backlit you'd have to replace the batteries every second day or so...

5. Ommid macrumors 6502

:( Mine doesn't last that long, but I guess I do use it alot!! And I never turn it off, or my computer!

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Well I don't turn it or my computer off either ;)

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

My iMac hasn't been off since I bought it in Sept 2010 and the keyboard is still on its original batteries - with 45% remaining.

8. joeyboyyy91 thread starter macrumors member

Ok so do you guys think they would increase the amount of batteries in the keyboard?

I'm aware that it wouldn't be a very apple thing to do, but what do you think?

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Currently the batteries take up about half of that little cylinder shape at the top. If they really squeezed they could put 4 batteries instead of two in there... But that would still only last 4-7 days tops.

10. ethics101 macrumors regular

Yes I agree. I have a thin logitech wireless backlit keyboard and its been on for 4 months and I haven't changed the battery. It is also charged via USB so it works even when it runs out of battery.

11. jasweb macrumors newbie

Now that would be a good suggestion for the next version of the apple wireless keyboard (I have the 3 battery version). Sure a USB "charging" port could be added to the back (now that the new version is already 2 battery / 1.5 inches space saved).

Apple is great with reducing component size (so sure such a charger would be cool).

PS is there an easy way to check the battery level within the bluetooth wireless keyboard from OS X (or is there no checking hardware within the keyboard)?

12. Ommid macrumors 6502

There is circuitry in the other half of the cylinder, USB charging would be ace!

13. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I would love a backlit keyboard. As long as the batteries would be able to last 1 month I'm happy. I use rechargeable batteries so it wouldn't really be a huge issue.