Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Perhaps this is old news to some, but I'll pass along anyway.

I have discovered that any VZW customers on qualifying plans can get an extra GB of free data every month simply by streaming an NFL game through any app while not connected to wifi.

As part of VZW's agreement with the NFL, VZW customers can stream NFL games without using data. Ads/commercials though are streamed differently, and in order to counteract this, any customers that stream any NFL game will be given 1GB of promo data, free of charge (for every month that they stream any part of any NFL game).

For me, this is an easy way to add an extra GB of data to my 2GB shared plan.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/nfl/nfl-mobile/

FINE PRINT:
To compensate gigabytes used for advertising viewed during the NFL games, Verizon provides 1 GB of bonus data to customers who have viewed live video in the NFL Mobile app. This 1 GB of bonus data is only applicable for the customers that are on Account Level Pricing (the MORE Everything and the Verizon Plans) and limited to 1 GB per line per billing cycle. Customers on non-Account Level pricing will receive bill credits to cover data usage for ads included in NFL video content. Subject to change.
  • Business Flex plans are not eligible for the 1 GB of bonus data.
  • Customers with a single line on a MORE Everything plan are eligible for the additional 1 GB data.
  • Allocated in the same manner as all stackable (bonus) data offers.
  • Bonus data will appear in Promotion History in ACSS.
  • It may take up to 24 to 48 hours for 1GB of bonus data to be added to account.
Apparently the 1GB was part of a promotion that has expired. Though any streaming of NFL games still does not count against one's data, users are no longer given the 1GB data on their lines.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So during any month (or billing cycle) if you start watching a live game in the NFL app (even if you just close it right after the stream starts) that will automatically add 1 GB of bonus data to your account?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So during any month (or billing cycle) if you start watching a live game in the NFL app (even if you just close it right after the stream starts) that will automatically add 1 GB of bonus data to your account?
Yes. That's my understanding both from the fine print and what the rep confirmed.

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Nice..can you stream the games if you don't have a cable subscription?

Yes, it works for all Verizon customers and doesn't ask for a cable login. It only streams the games that would be broadcast on your local Fox and CBS networks on Sunday afternoons though.

Reactions: BMAF

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yes, it works for all Verizon customers and doesn't ask for a cable login. It only streams the games that would be broadcast on your local Fox and CBS networks on Sunday afternoons though.
It also works for Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night football via ESPN & others.

Reactions: luked14

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Is that 1GB per line? If so, that is sweet. So do you have to stream it while the game is live? I just tried it with Monday Night Football. So, even though it's on ESPN, I can stream over wifi for free? That's cool. And if I turn off wifi for a minute, I get an extra 1GB of data. Sounds like a good deal.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes. That's my understanding both from the fine print and what the rep confirmed.
I guess we'll see how it works. Downloaded it and started streaming today's game. It had me verify my account by sending a text and started the game broadcast along with some commercials that came on at some point. So far haven't seen anything come up in relation to bonus data nor does it seem like My Verizon is showing anything new. I guess I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Edit: Based on the additional details posted below it looks like waiting for a day or two is in line with how it works.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Is that 1GB per line? If so, that is sweet. So do you have to stream it while the game is live? I just tried it with Monday Night Football. So, even though it's on ESPN, I can stream over wifi for free? That's cool. And if I turn off wifi for a minute, I get an extra 1GB of data. Sounds like a good deal.

To compensate gigabytes used for advertising viewed during the NFL games, Verizon provides 1 GB of bonus data to customers who have viewed live video in the NFL Mobile app. This 1 GB of bonus data is only applicable for the customers that are on Account Level Pricing (the MORE Everything and the Verizon Plans) and limited to 1 GB per line per billing cycle. Customers on non-Account Level pricing will receive bill credits to cover data usage for ads included in NFL video content. Subject to change.
  • Business Flex plans are not eligible for the 1 GB of bonus data.
  • Customers with a single line on a MORE Everything plan are eligible for the additional 1 GB data.
  • Allocated in the same manner as all stackable (bonus) data offers.
  • Bonus data will appear in Promotion History in ACSS.
  • It may take up to 24 to 48 hours for 1GB of bonus data to be added to account.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks for the heads up. I just got a gig of data, and I'll have my wife do it tomorrow.
Just noticed mine showed up too, and already half used. I already have 7 GB used up and thought it would just move 1 GB of the usage from that into the bonus usage, but I guess it counts it differently somehow.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
Alright so if I want to try this, when is the next time I use the NFL app to stream a game? It streams for free? I don't have to pay any membership?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Alright so if I want to try this, when is the next time I use the NFL app to stream a game? It streams for free? I don't have to pay any membership?
If you are a Verizon user as mentioned in one of the earlier posts. The games are typically on Mondays, Thursdays, and Sundays.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
On LTE (not wifi). Next game is Thursday night. The Broncos are going to absolutely dismantle the Chargers.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
If you are a Verizon user as mentioned in one of the earlier posts. The games are typically on Mondays, Thursdays, and Sundays.

On LTE (not wifi). Next game is Thursday night. The Broncos are going to absolutely dismantle the Chargers.

Alright I got the app and noted that game. Where in the app do I go to watch the stream? Quick guide please :)

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
Is it per phone line? Like should I be doing this with all of my phone lines or just one of them gets 1GB for the entire plan?

cla9614

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I tried to download and install the NFL app using my iMac. It seems stuck and frozen and will not complete the install on my iPhone. This seems weird. Maybe a restart would help.

EDIT:

I got it to work. There was a weird quirk but I got the app installed on my iPhone and iPad.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apparently the 1GB was part of a promotion that has expired. Though any streaming of NFL games still does not count against one's data, users are no longer given the 1GB data on their lines.
Interesting that you just updated the OP with that information as I was about to post asking if anyone was able to get it working recently. I was able to get it on one line a few weeks ago, but tried another line this past Sunday and so far haven't seen any bonus data show up, so I was wondering what might be going on.

Out of curiosity, where/how did you find out that the bonus data is no longer being provided? On the web site it still seems to mention "Add’l data and/or bill credits will be provided to cover data usage for ads included in NFL video content." in the fine print for the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.