Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who wants HomePod Max ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I would want one. Probably wouldn't spend the money on it, though :) Happy with my OG HomePod and would get the equivalent if it ever needed to replacing.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
HomePod was too late to the market initially and I invested in something else. When they finally arrived, it was too expensive and failed to allow third party streaming apps. I have no reason to revisit it now, time moves on.

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
Voted No. Will not buy a Homepod anything when 2 out of 4 of my OG Homepods died just right out of warranty(Apple wanted $280 per replacement). IMO Apple knew the OG Homepods were bad and stopped selling them for that reason.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
It’s called a subwoofer. I’m assuming a size where you can sit on it.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have a mix of 17 OG’s and Minis around the house. I wouldn’t mind adding a few Max’ to the mix… if Apple can fix the awful buggy software and Siri implementation.

What I’d really like to see before a Max version, other than polishing the software, is the ability to add HomePod rears to the home theater setup but the heavens only know how buggy that would be too.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
No. Unless it comes with substantially better Siri and software, I wouldn’t take one if Apple offered me a free Mac.

I have two minis that barely function as speakers and they’ve been like this for over a year with all the updates.

They’re set up as stereo, and rarely work as such.

Siri barely works and never understands anything (yet I can immediately re-ask on my watch, iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV without issue). When Siri does work, she takes ages.

Also, it’s annoying that I can’t get Siri to talk quieter. No matter how I set it up, or how many times I ask, Siri is too loud. If I’m getting ready for bed and ask her something, she answers for the whole house.

All the frustration it causes isn’t worth any Mac on the market. While Siri underperforms compared to competitors, for my usage it does what I need EXCEPT on the HomePod.

Reactions: Itinj24

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
Have you tried this? Works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: zachz

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I have a mix of 17 OG’s and Minis around the house. I wouldn’t mind adding a few Max’ to the mix… if Apple can fix the awful buggy software and Siri implementation.

What I’d really like to see before a Max version, other than polishing the software, is the ability to add HomePod rears to the home theater setup but the heavens only know how buggy that would be too.

17? Holy crap how do you deal with the insanity of the wrong HomePod responding when you want to check or cancel a timer?! we find that frustrating enough with only 2x OG and 2x Minis!

🤣

ShiftHappens

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2022
It’s called an appleTV plus a home theatre setup
Would be nice though, if Apple could bless us with an optical audio output (which was mysteriously removed in Apple TV HD) and an audio card supporting 24 bit/192 kHz... I'd love to be able to stream Hi-Res Lossless from Apple TV to my system, but it's optimised for music and has no HDMI input (getting anything close to that audio quality in a home theatre receiver would cost a small fortune)...

Reactions: supermars

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
17? Holy crap how do you deal with the insanity of the wrong HomePod responding when you want to check or cancel a timer?! we find that frustrating enough with only 2x OG and 2x Minis!

🤣
I found that when you direct your face toward the HomePod you want to speak to and speak in a normal tone like you’re speaking to a person, the right one picks up the majority of the time.

Most of these are in stereo pairs too and I spread them out accordingly.

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
Would be nice though, if Apple could bless us with an optical audio output (which was mysteriously removed in Apple TV HD) and an audio card supporting 24 bit/192 kHz... I'd love to be able to stream Hi-Res Lossless from Apple TV to my system, but it's optimised for music and has no HDMI input (getting anything close to that audio quality in a home theatre receiver would cost a small fortune)...

Have you considered an HDMI Audio Extractor? They're fairly inexpensive.

Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI Audio Extractor | $29.99

zachz

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Have you tried this? Works for me.
Ah I didn’t know automatic adjustments could be disabled, thank you. I’ve disabled them now - while Siri’s lowest voice is still too loud, this will definitely help with her blasting

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
It's not 24/192 but the airport express analog and digital outs are pretty great, and support airplay2.

Reactions: supermars

ShiftHappens

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2022
Have you considered an HDMI Audio Extractor? They're fairly inexpensive.

Monoprice Blackbird 4K HDMI Audio Extractor | $29.99
Haven't seen that one specifically - may be worth trying out something like that though! Afaik, Apple TV will "only" output 24 bits/48 kHz, but that is still much better than the 16 bits/44.1 kHz I get from my old Sonos gear (and most likely I, and most others, would not hear the difference from 48 to 192 kHz anyway) :)

ShiftHappens

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2022
It's not 24/192 but the airport express analog and digital outs are pretty great, and support airplay2.
Yeah, I've had both gen 1 and 2 (should still be around somewhere I suppose)... I've had good use of them but afaik, both express and airplay 2 are limited to 16 bits/44.1 kHz which makes it uninteresting in this case (since I already have that from Sonos)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.