Who wants Push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViViDboarder, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Hey everyone. So I've been browsing my university software store and found out I'm eligable for a free copy of Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Standard Edition! For those of you who don't know this is the version including Activesync. So I could probably set this up somehow. I was wondering if anyone who may have a more extensive knowledge of Exchange had any ideas how I could set up a server for individual users so friends (perhaps of a certain online community) could get push email and calendars too :D

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Why would you be able to get a free copy of Exchange? It makes no sense.
    How much are you willing to pay for data centre costs/ bandwidth?

3. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Because of the college I'm in, I'm offered a copy of Exchange Server 2007 (I download an ISO from the U of I webstore and they email me a key) as well as a copy of 64bit Vista Server. Microsoft likes my school I guess.

Bandwidth and datacentre costs are the issues. I currently only have the licence to be hosted on MY computers for free. So I couldn't have an outside data centre host it for me. I'd have to set up a server in my house to run with my bandwidth. Most people, including me, already have email. I'd just like to have a method of syncing my callendar for a cost of less than 99 a year.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I don't think anyone is going to switch email to have some random guy host an Exchange Server in his house.

5. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

That's my point. Most people don't need new email and may find use in the callendar. If others don't care for it, I'm still going to do it for myself and my local friends. Less bandwith use anyways.

6. Pooshka macrumors 65816