Who wants tilt in email?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrobsd, Jul 14, 2008.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

How hard is it for Apple to make the email application tilt?! It would be so much better if they allowed this to happen. In fact, why not just make EVERYTHING on the iphone work with tilt? Why do we have to be stuck looking at our iphone in narrow mode, why can't all apps have the ability to rotate the iphone so we can see them in wide screen?

Email and texting would be most useful, because it has a bigger keyboard which I can type almost 100% perfectly on! PLEASE APPLE!

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Tilt in email and SMS would be nice features.

3. frosse macrumors 6502a

Yep, they should definitely add landscape mode to the whole phone, atleast to text features.

4. ShadowFox1450 macrumors member

Landscape for the entire phone would be just about the best thing they could do for it, other than make it smudge-proof =P

5. pauld macrumors regular

I agree. Quite often I feel like I'm going to drop the phone when I'm typing an email/text in portrait. I realise there would be less screen real-estate for typed text in landscape, but the comfort and usability factor definitely makes up for it.

6. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

when i first got my iphone in november i agreed with you, but now i find i can type better in portrait, its all about trusting the keyboard.

im sure others will agree with me.

7. LukeLithium macrumors newbie

Definately. I can type 35-40 WPM on my iPhone now in portrait, so I really don't see why everyones begging for landscape keyboards. It takes up like 80% of the screen in landscape mode anyway.

8. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I'm torn on the issue. At first I couldn't believe that landscape wasn't supported in email. I thought it would be so much easier to type in landscape mode. But after playing around with Safari in landscape mode I'm not so sure. Typing actually seemed a bit easier in portrait (although it could just be I'm more used to typing in portrait). And there's also the issue with losing so much of the screen to the keyboard (although since it's wider I guess the same amount of test would be shown). But I do think Apple should add landscape across the entire platform and let people decide which way they'd rather use it.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Not sure about landscape mode support in mail - I don't particularly like the landscape keyboard because the keyboard fills too much of the screen. The thing that annoys me most about the portrait / landscape options is videos: You can't browse them in landscape mode and you can't play them in portrait mode! I'd also like to have some way of locking the phone into portrait mode so it doesn't flip when you move the phone slightly

10. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I am typing a text message or an email I don't care about how much of the screen it takes up because I don't really need to read anything I just need to type the message... My thumbs really are too big to the smaller keyboard, the one in Safari is perfect.

11. camarobh macrumors 6502

Yes!

Most definitely need landscape email. My old eyes don't work well with emails with small text.....

12. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

13. April Dancer macrumors regular

April Dancer

I'm not so much bothered about typing but reading the email would be easier in landscape, as well as being able to zoom which, unless I've missed something major, you can't do.

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

How about allowing self-control rotation for PDF!

15. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    yup. I've only had my iphone for 2 days and I already agree with you. It's so much easier to type in portrait. then you can only use one hand. due to the predictive text it is REMARKABLY simple to write things. i was impressed with it. I get better at every time i use it!

16. JustinEvil macrumors newbie

How are some of you guys finding it easier to type in portrait? The keys are closer together. I have gotten to the point where I can type just fine in portrait mode, but I find it even easier to type in landscape, I make less errors. I see no reason why this option can't even be there, it seems like such a simple fix.

17. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I'm not saying I don't make mistakes when typing in portrait mode. That's what the dictionary and auto-correct is for. I used to backspace anytime I saw I hit the wrong key, now I just say to myself "that's ok, the dictionary will correct it"

18. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

"Use the Force, Luke. Let go..."

I'm finding that I'm not even looking at the keyboard these days. I type away so fast, and then look at what I did, and it's almost always exactly what I wanted to write. Auto-correct is hands-down the BEST feature of the iPhone.

I just wish I had it for everything else in life!! Like whenever I'm about to do something really stupid, a transparent cloud pops up with an alternate suggested scenario, and suddenly I'm not making the biggest mistake of my life! That would be soooo cool! :D

19. movielover21 macrumors newbie

Landscape would be great.

Even if you are not going to use it, it's better to have it than not.

20. LukeLithium macrumors newbie

Agreed. The auto correction in iPhone is amazing.

I love the idea of the auto correction for everything else in life. Whenever I'm about to make a stupid decision I get a cloud popping up with an alternative choice haha I love it. Invent it Apple!

21. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I want tilt in nearly nothing except the iPod.

I must be crazy, but I like lying down sideways and being able to read emails or texts without the screen flipping to where it *thinks* I am looking at the screen from.

22. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

All the letters could be hoops and you have to move a monkey rolling through them by tilting the phone as you "type"

man how cool would that be!

:rolleyes:

23. gazzzmoly macrumors regular

24. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

landscape would be great but at the same time im pretty good now a few days in with the vertical keyboard. I'm just wondering why they made a landscape keyboard for Safari but can't just update fw to put it on texting along with email?