Who was dissapointed by leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zblaxberg, Dec 2, 2007.

?

Are you satisfied with leopard?

1. I have it and enjoy the new features, they are really useful

22 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. I have it and think that there isn't much of a change and/or the new features aren't useful

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

Now this post isn't solely to express my own opinion I just wanted to grab others thoughts. Honestly I wasn't very satisfied with it, I have been finding that it will freeze a lot and it isn't much different from tiger. Just wanted to get others opinions...

2. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Best OS I have ever used. I love it!!!!

Cheers.
    :):apple:

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Have you used Tiger since using Leopard. I used a Tiger machine recently and it felt very cramped, was happy to get back to Leopard.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

honestly, I don't use any of the new features in leopard, only appearance enhancements, so ya, I'm a little disappointed.

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Did you do a clean install? If not I think that's the cause of many problems.

I've used it off and on since WWDC so I've known what to expect, but I just started using it recently as my main OS. And I can say it's much smoother and faster. Seems like they've made it much more multithreaded. The Finder is 10x better also. No more beach balls.

6. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

Yes I did a clean install and it hasn't helped. I really think I should have waited for 10.5.2 before I got leopard because I'm sure it will soon be fixed. I also haven't had my macbook pro for like a week or 2 because there was a kernal panic along with a bunch of other bigger problems so maybe I'm just having a mac withdrawal..after all I'm on a dell in a computer lab on my campus...thank god it has a c2d

7. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

a clean install helped me, but there are still a few irritations. There seem to be a half-dozen or so processes that will occasionally eat up my CPU and/or RAM. It's not too big a deal, but hopefully they get worked out. Sometimes Safari is holding 300-400 MB and only has one window open. That sucks.

But still, Quick Look is awesome. I never had Tiger, so I'm loving Spotlight, as well.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

can I vote for a 3rd option? im somewhere between the two answers.

9. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I kinda wish I waited another 6 months before installing Leopard because it slowed down my Macbook a little, I think it will get faster over time just like Tiger did.

Overall, I'd say it's a mixed bag of features which have been finally fixed since Tiger, and many features I liked that were taken away. As long as it's not crashing (which it isn't) I'm going to stick it out since this IS the future of Apple. Plus the next update should be coming in January along with new product releases.

10. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

I was about 100 people back in line on launch night, so I didn't get it installed until about 8pm that evening.

I wish I'd taken the afternoon off to be at the front of the line... I could have been using Leopard for an extra hour if I'd bought it at 6:01 and finished the installation by 7!

11. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    While working, I now actively use Spaces to maximize my work space. I use Quick Look VERY actively, especially for videos and text documents (and now folders). I use Quick Look also by putting things in "thumbnail" view, and seeing the custom previews. Popping open PDFs instantaneously with the spacebar is worth the price of admission.

Coverflow is fantastic for whipping through a directory of images or movies. I've set up Time Machine, and for the first time I'm backing up regularly... although, its more than an anti-climax, as you set it and forget it. Until I lose a file, I won't appreciate it. I'm still watching it for what I still should EXCLUDE. I already exclude my download folder, but my desktop habits aren't very good (often contains files I don't want to back-up).

The tabbed terminal with translucent black background is awesome (I use the "Pro" theme). I'm also getting some great use out of the data-detectors in Mail. I've found myself creating appointments and To-Dos frequently inside of Mail, and reconciling their place amongst other events in iCal. I've already used the new iChat with a friend I'm collaborating with on a animation pitch package. We actively dragged sketches into and out of the window, and its was pretty good, although my broadband connection couldn't sustain a lot of it over time.

There's SO many things in Leopard to feel great about, I'm under the impression that if someone ISn't getting much more out of it than Tiger, then that might say more about their individual personality (and how quickly they can adapt to new things) than it does about how useful Leopard's advances are. I sware... I'm ACTIVELY resisting the urge to create my first Widget clip. As a web designer, I just despise the idea that Apple is facilitating the consumer ability to chop up people's webpages. I can't imagine I won't eventually find something worthwhile to use it on though.

~ CB