Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I told my friends I was going to wait, see what the iPad was all about, not buy it right away, at least until I saw what the developers would do...yeah, right. I just put in my pre-order.

Sucked in by the RDF!! :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Chuckling here in recognition and complete understanding! I did that with the iPhone back in 2007. Friends asked if I were going to get one and I said, "naw, why would I want one of those things?" and yet on Launch Day I found myself in line!! A couple of days prior to that I had again watched the Keynote speech in which Steve had introduced and presented the iPhone.....and that did it.

This time, I knew perfectly well that I would be getting an iPad, regardless of whether I "needed" it or not! Didn't even attempt to resist the RDF! I'll be at the store bright and early on April 3rd to pick up the 64 GB iPad I've reserved......

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
HeHe. Don't worry, unlike what a lot of people here will tell you, it is OK to be genuinely excited about something and not view it through a cynical eye. Enjoy the excitement of having it on the first day.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Chuckling here in recognition and complete understanding! I did that with the iPhone back in 2007. Friends asked if I were going to get one and I said, "naw, why would I want one of those things?" and yet on Launch Day I found myself in line!! A couple of days prior to that I had again watched the Keynote speech in which Steve had introduced and presented the iPhone.....and that did it.

This time, I knew perfectly well that I would be getting an iPad, regardless of whether I "needed" it or not! Didn't even attempt to resist the RDF! I'll be at the store bright and early on April 3rd to pick up the 64 GB iPad I've reserved......

I have a feeling it's going to be really cool. "Needed," I don't know, but that train left the station a LONG time ago!

lotusindigo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I haven't told anyone that I'm getting it, either. Don't want to be talked out of it. I am going to wait though, at least a little. It will be this year's tax return gift to myself, and I don't think THAT's coming in by April 3rd. :) I know what I'm going to use the iPad for, and I don't need anyone else's input on whether it will be a good device for what I need.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
I was going to wait to but couldn't hold out. I knew in the back of my head that i was going to get one so why not preorder one.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
I told my friends I was going to wait, see what the iPad was all about, not buy it right away, at least until I saw what the developers would do...yeah, right. I just put in my pre-order.

Drink the kool-aid. It tastes like epic win.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007

In case somebody didn't get it, RDF=Reality distortion field. (Unless i'm wrong.)

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009

3G or WiFi?

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
In case somebody didn't get it, RDF=Reality distortion field. (Unless i'm wrong.)

You are correct! And of course I'm employing self-deprecating humor here. I generally like and am happy with my Apple devices.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I was telling myself I didn't want an iPad because well I don't need it at all.

But I just want one and I feel people will expect me to have one, so I put an order in for it.

Will pick it up at the store on the 3rd. And I got the WiFi only model because (1) the only reason I would want the 3G model to use my TomTom app on the go in the car and (2) having internet access everywhere.

I however already have a N900 which lets me share internet via WiFi, so the WiFi version will do… and no I'm not going to use the iPad as a navigation device in my car.

Worse case scenario, I end up giving the WiFi version to friend or something and buying the 3G model later.

I did choose the 64GB version despite the fact that I will not be using the device for anything. I might just go for the 16GB model instead. Still debating on that one. Since we are limited to one preorder per person, I don't know about Apple's position on my switching it up later at the store.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
What the heck does that mean?

Haha, we got a noob!! This phrase has been used for the better part of a decade as reference to Steve Jobs' ability to convince people that they need to buy whatever new Apple product he is announcing on stage.

As for the OP's iPad decision, welcome! We are a growing community. I think iPad could end up being bigger than iPhone. Even some of my graphic design professors are hopping on the bandwagon and they aren't usually phased by new Apple products. They are excited about the prospects of print content moving to digital formats. One of my professors ran his own design company in Europe for 25 years (usually working with book publishers) and he said that the iPad will change everything. Publishers will be excited to shed the costs of paper, inks, presses, maintenance workers, warehouse space and other related costs of physical objects. Then they are able to lower book prices, spurring even more sales as more people read. It's all really win-win, just like it was back in the day when Gutenburg invented mechanical movable type. Books are quickly becoming deprecated as faster means of relaying information are deployed. The iPad is just a stepping stone into a new age.

In addition to all the people who think I'm crazy talking about doing actual design work, image editing and sketching on the iPad (I've been blasted before): several of my design professors are planning on doing many of these things with the iPad. Especially sketches, portable portfolio, and the like until more apps are brought to market. IPS display FTW. Rough comps that are finalized for print on a Mac most likely. For many projects, all you'll need are your color books. Absolute calibration is only really needed for process work and photo editing. Hopefully we can get some display calibration functions in future OS updates. It's a shame to waste that beautiful display. Hopefully factory settings will get us 95% there.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Despite all the moaning, I might get one too. If I don't like it, I'll just return or sell it on Ebay. Or gift it.

But if money or getting value was an issue, I would probably not get an iPad.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
I enjoyed the keynote, but wasn't fully sucked in by the RDF until about a week later, when I really started thinking about the possibilities that the iPad could offer me...then I knew I had to have one, and I reserved mine on the first day :)

16 gig wifi (since I'm not likely to take it out of the house much...if I go anywhere with it, I'll make sure wifi is available :) )

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Ah don't worry about it. Takes a strong man to resist the RDF!

Even though I pretty much dislike the iPad because I can't use it for business on the go (part of our service runs on the Flash platform), I discovered last night that we may have an iPad app to allows us to operate on it afterall. Still in the works, but looking positive. If it happens, I'll cave and pick up a couple.

CanonicalKoi

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Where the trilobites roam free.
"Needed"? No, probably not. "Wanted", well, that's another thing entirely. I 'fessed up to my poor husband that I'd pre-ordered one and he just kind of shook his head. Then, I reminded him of the day I brought home my MBP and he shook his head then. Who uses it for Skype? Who uses it for watching movies? Who really, really became addicted to iTunes? Who was blown away by how easy it was to make a custom music CD? Yeah, he stopped shaking his head after that. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.