Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who was right?

• He was. Doesn't matter when the txt was sent, you should respond

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Malfoy was. If you weren't awake at the time of text, you aren't required to respond

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
This conversation took place between my friend and I a few minutes ago

drivenpoll.jpg

The question is: Should I have responded when I finally got the message or was the fact I wasn't awake when the msg was sent enough that I didn't have to respond to it ?

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Wise man once say, when you post a transcript of your text messages on the internet, you are in danger of being labeled a drama queen. ;)

lol he knows it was going to be posted. i sent him a link to the thread. We both think the people will agree with our point of view.

You delve into text speak more, so I'm going to agree with your friend on point of principle.

:(

bearbear

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
Get these a lot. Agree with OP for sure. It's time-sensitive and obviously you don't need to respond if you weren't awake at the time.

chordate68

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Agreed. "you awake?" is very situational. obviously if you didn't respond you're asleep. This is why I hate texting. Plus its easier to ignore a text than a question during a phone conversation.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wise man once say, when you post a transcript of your text messages on the internet, you are in danger of being labeled a drama queen. ;)

Wise man once say afterward, you are who you associate yourself with.

Sounds like they're both a bit dramatic.

ethical

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
To be honest I think you should have replied when you woke up. It's manners.

They text you because they wanted/needed something, you should have replied in the morning to find out what it was. Unless....the conversation was to go like this:

Him: You awake?
You: Yes
Him: Cool
/conversation

Sorry, I'm going to have to side with your friend :eek:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I wouldn have replied as said above 1 you were asleep 2 there was no second txt asking to txt bk when you woke up

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You guys need couples counseling.

I'm so following you on MR now. Seems the last couple of times you've responded have been funny. And fwiw, I don't need you to follow me back ... asleep or awake. :)

emt1

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
I hate when people are super sensitive about text messages responses. These people keep track of every text message they send out EVER and they call people out if they fail to respond to one.

johnnyhow

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
You certainly are in the right! That friend of yours is so over sensitive, clearly if you weren't awake at the time, then an answer is not required.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
because no one asked this yet, here is my question to the OP...

at what age bracket are you guys in?

if that is a good friend, he shouldn't get upset... well, i guess that is at least a form of communication. which is always good, right?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Your friend has Great Textpectations.

Um, next time your friend asks such a 'not smart' question, reply with, 'No, I'm asleep right now and won't be awake for at least another 2 hours. Please try again.' He'll probably get angry since you're obviously awake if you texted back, but that would prove your point. Also, it seems like your friend would get mad either way, so who cares! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.