Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jestered

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Austin, Texas
They made a statement about this somewhere. The antenna is too small to provide sufficient data for 'turn by turn' GPS, so it would make sense that the software isn't designed for driving.

The GPS is intended for Geo-tagging, and using Google Maps for find local services. Something my 1st gen iPhone does real well without draining the battery with GPS.

That is not true at all. I read the same thing, but it is simply not true. The GPS functions in the car, so there is no reason that it can't do turn by turn voice directions. If the phone can get the signal in the car, which it can and does, then all it would take is for the SOFTWARE (not hardware or antenna) to announce when a turn is coming up and which direction you will be turning.

The whole thing about the antenna being too small for turn by turn directions is completely asinine.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
really? i had to use my iphone today in the car cuz i lost my way to the park where i was meeting up with people. GPS directed me there easily. Verrry accurate too :D

Warpdrv

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
really? i had to use my iphone today in the car cuz i lost my way to the park where i was meeting up with people. GPS directed me there easily. Verrry accurate too :D

Agreed !! Just because it doesn't rotate the map, you can't figure out where you are? Maybe some people should learn how to read a map sometime...

When you buy a paper map at the store and your driving in the car, do you turn it everytime your are trying to navigate..? WOW....

Its a dam nice feature, and it works great just the way it is...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.