Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Well, I got a very nice watch from my family as a close to graduation gift, and I'm very addicted to wearing it. Has anyone ever worn a watch while using their laptop and over the course of time, see a deterioration of the wrist area because of it?

I would really hate to have to take off my watch just to use my laptop because I know it's possible to forget about it and lose, and this watch isn't that cheap. Let me know your opinions.

Thanks

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Items like watches are going to get scuffed, scratched, worn, etc. over time - it's just the way it is. If you don't want anything to happen to your watch, then it's best to lock it up and never wear it. Honestly, I appreciate your respect for it, as you obviously value its worth, meaning, and the fact that it was a gift, but at the end of the day I wouldn't worry that much about it - at least not while using your laptop. As you say, you could just as easily lose it or someone could steal it if you left it sitting out somewhere, which would obviously be much worse.

Wear it. Enjoy it. Make good use of the very nice, generous gift of your parents - it's one of the reasons they bought it for you. :cool:

L

Lau

~Shard~ said:
Items like watches are going to get scuffed, scratched, worn, etc. over time...

I think he's more worried by the Mac getting scratched...

(sorry, villanova329, I can't help you with the question, as I don't wear a watch)

cbetta

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
I thought this topic was about if you were afraid to damage your laptop. I always remove my watch (also a gift for the same reason) because I dont want to damage my MBP.

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
I cant wear my watch when i use my macbook, something about that bump from the band on the wrist rests, gives me a wierd restricted feeling.. its uncomfortable.. so when i use my macbook for a long time i take it off anyway hahaha.....

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
:) I read the subject title and thought, "why would you want to wear a watch when the time is displayed in the top-right corner of the laptop?".

I personally don't like the feel of a watch on my arm, so I don't wear one, even if it's given as an expensive gift. Nice gift-giving thought, but I'm a realist!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I use a watch when I'm on my laptop at work. I experienced some of the common "pitting" of the palm rest area on my PowerBook, and it was definitely much worse on the left side (which is where my watch is). The watch didn't cause any visible scratches on its own, but it may have marred the surface just enough to let the sweat get in there a bit more easily and pit the surface. (There was some pitting on the the right side as well, but not much.)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Lau said:
I think he's more worried by the Mac getting scratched...

Well, I'm an idiot. :cool:

Yeah, re-read it, I get it now. I'd still say don't worry too much. Laptops will get scratches, scuffed, etc. as well over time... ;)

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
engadget had an earring with a clock on it not too long ago.
maybe that will work for you.
but you would need a mirror on your desk to be able to read it.

DVNIEL

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Hey guys dont get me wrong, i love this watch too, and I'm going to do my damn-nearest to keep it in great condition (thanks Shard). But yeah... I too am worried about my MBP, its one of my jewels=).

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I always remove my watch, because the band is metal and would quite easily scratch the surface of the Powerbook. Why not just take if off and lay it next to the computer when you use it?

If you're worried about losing the watch, get used to ALWAYS putting it in a specific place when it is off, even if it means walking into another room. That way, you'll know where it is.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
when i first got my MBP i set it up at work, where i wore a watch. it was very annoying because it kept hitting the computer and making noises, plus i was worried the computer would get damaged. since i don't wear a watch at school, i won't have any problems there.

i would say avoid wearing a watch if you can to prevent any damage. plus, your computer has many ways to tell you the time.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Im wearing it
1. push your watch upward
2. buy a protection stuff covering your mac

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
buy a shield for the laptop you are using. those thin plastic covers that are built specifically for the mac is a godsend for anti scratches (including from watches)

the one i'm using for my ibook covers the trackpad, trackpad button, area surrounding the keyboard (covers the speakers too with holes for the speaker holes), battery, bottem, and the top. everything except for the keyboard is protected with only 200 bucks hong kong. keyboard protecters are common so it dosen't bother me.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
I scratched my powerbook up from the fossil watch I have. :mad:

Now I always take it off or undo the band so I can slide it further up my arm. Otherwise I'd be totally scared of beating it up more. Its just to sad to see a powerbook with big nasty gouges on the wrist pad.

FWIW.

Sadly, I'm getting the pitting now - three years in, which sucks. :(

quruli

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
You are technically supposed to type with your wrists raised. If you typed properly the chances of scuffing the Macbook are slim.

With that said. I don't wear watches because I don't like them, however if I did I would take it off anyway as I don't think I would find it comfortable to wear a watch and type.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Ever since I got a cell phone I never used a watch ever again. Last watch I had and wore a watch was like 7 years ago.

It really depends on the watch itself if it would scratch your laptop or not. If the finish on it is rounded off, it probably wont do anything. The clasp is what I would worry about, especially on mens watches. I think it would be best to take off your watch when you work.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Hmmm. I have a very nice "Skagen" watch, but I hardly ever wear it any more, because I use my Mac/phone to see what time it is. If you don't want your Mac to be scracthed, get a wrist area protecor, or tak you watch off. Since you may forget it as you say, try and make it a habit putting it in your pocket.;)

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
quruli said:
You are technically supposed to type with your wrists raised. If you typed properly the chances of scuffing the Macbook are slim.

Yup, it's probably a good idea to get used to typing in this way, since you don't want any injuries down the line. I wear a watch all the time, and my PB has nary a scratch. No pads, etc., required.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.