Who will rule the Internet?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Kwill, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Well, google for search engines, and streaming content (youtube), facebook for social networking, and Apple for payed audio/video content.

iTunes, Google, Youtube, and Facebook/Myspace easily have to be the most used online applications (I'm not talking about applications as in Internet Explorer) and content providers in the world.

3. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

If Microsoft get their act together with Live! they could still have a say. At the moment they are positioned better than Apple in relation to software + services. Plus stuff like Live Mesh will work with Macs, phones and PCs.

It depends how well they can execute their strategy and vision, or more to the point whether they have a strategy of vision. Corporate politics tends to get in the way and stifle some of this stuff.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

5. shoveland macrumors newbie

Each one has a great hold in their respective area. I don't see any one of them being over to take over the whole intarwebs

6. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

The closest thing to a company that will have its biggest influence on the Internet will be Google, in my humble opinion. :)

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Considering that the virtual space is relatively "empty" commercially, I think there's pretty wide room to grow. There are more than enough hard resources (in terms of bandwidth, etc.) and probably enough of a potential consumer base for a lot of companies to come out here with good ideas and proliferate. So the dominating company might be one of these big guys, or might be someone new we could never predict...Like Facebook has been.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. right now Google has a lot of mindshare though, so i'd probably rank them high up there. the web is still considerably young. who knows what it will look like in 10 years.

btw, nice to see you posting more these days themadchemist.

9. faust macrumors regular

faust

Facebook scares me. Wants me to list my phone number to become a "confirmed" member, hahaha, no.

10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I definitely agree--Google's here to stay. And thanks PlaceofDis! I've got the national board exams coming up, and as I study/procrastinate from studying, I've found myself back at MacRumors more often...I always find I'm here more when there's real work to be done; it's a much more interesting way to procrastinate than just watching TV or something. ;)

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good luck on the exams! and this certainly is a nice place to procrastinate. :p

and facebook. i don't know that it has the longevity that google has, but it has more staying power than myspace imo. and privacy surely is an issue at times with it too. its kinda scary what you agree to when you sign up. and that they can change it at anytime

12. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Google and Apple need to work together more.

Google and Apple have a lot of potential, and are Microsoft's worst enemies.

Combined (or at least much closer), they would be unstoppable.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats not necessarily a good thing though.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hate to see what Apple would come up with if they decided to build a social network, search site, or banner advertising company. :p

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it might look good. but it'd be the slowest site ever.

16. remmy macrumors 6502a

I hope no one rules the internet. I think competition between different companies is good. If there was another amazon or ebay just to keep them a bit more honest.

17. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

youtube is google...

I think google's great! They're going to beat Microsoft's windows live to death.

P.S. Get a google shirt! They're great!! http://www.googlestore.com/product.asp?catid=5&code=GO13052

18. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Didn't you get the email? Al Gore rules the internet! :p

19. Mr. lax macrumors 6502

He's right

20. windowpain macrumors 6502a