Who will succeed Jobs?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BigQid, Oct 26, 2010.

1. BigQid macrumors regular

I have great admiration for Jobs, but he is a 55 year old cancer survivor. Who would you like to succeed him in a couple of years?

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Couple of years? My guess is he'll be one of those CEOs that happily lead a company into their 70s. I think he's got at least another 10-15 years.

My guess is as long as this is fun for him and Apple is on top and still innovating, he won't want to leave. I bet Bill Gates would not have 'retired' if MS were still 'on top'. :eek:

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I agree, but I feel that if he were forced to leave do to health reasons, Tim Cook or Johnny Ive would be the front runners to succeed him.

-Don

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

It'd be most likely be the 'next-in-command', so to speak. So like someone quite high up in the company like Tim Cook.

5. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Agree. These two are the high profiles of the company aside from the main man-SJ.

6. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Peter Griffin, no question about that. Get ready some REALLY exciting new products! But only until death brings Jobs back or Lois Griffin steps in.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Would he be able to generate a strong enough RDF to keep Apple viable?

8. Queso macrumors G4

Soon to be new board member Sir Howard Stringer ;)

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

Cook or Ive, but Cook is no spring chicken either.

Truthfully, Jobs will probably drop dead one day without warning. Even if there is warning, the shareholders sure won't know about it til it's too late and the stock halves overnight.

Jobs still doesn't look well.

Personally I'd sell my shares now while on top if I was a stockholder.

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Jobs will replace himself with the iJobs, a mobile device programmed with Jobs intellect and creativity. The iJobs will come to fruition from iDevices and given a body after Apple merges with Honda in 2021 and uses their robot technology.

Cook and Ive are definitely potentials, but I also think there could be a fresh face brought in that Jobs trains and approves of first.

11. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I don't think he has that much longer, ie only single digit years left. Even with the best doctors in the world and the best liver money can buy, he still looks gaunt and frail.

I don't think it will be sudden in real life, but will be to us, as it won't be reported that he is sick or hospitalized prior to his death.

Regarding his replacement, I hope it is someone who succeeds with the tremendous pressure that will be put upon them.

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Ive is not qualified to take over. He is responsible for physical design and manufacturing. He has no formal training in electrical or systems engineering, nor do we have any reason to suspect he has the vision Jobs does as to what consumers want or don't know they want yet.

Cook is next in line and the logical successor.

13. Xavier macrumors 68020

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think Cook or Ive are the likely candidates. But I doubt there will be another like Steve with the vision and creative innovation that he has. After Steve is gone, and more time passes, Apple will be just another tech company as are the rest today.

Part of the allure and excitement of Apple is Steve.

15. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Finally, somebody admits not to hold any Apple stocks! :D I actually agree about selling. I could put my money in so many safer places, including underneath my door mat.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I can see Cook.

I don't see Ive. Great designer, but he doesn't have the skill set for leading a company such as Apple.

No one's mentioned Schiller. What about him being a possibility.

17. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Cook did a good job in Jobs' absence a year and a half ago. He'll probably be the successor. But I think he's so boring when he's on stage at the Apple events. ...Schiller too, BTW.

I've never seen Ive on stage, but it seems he would be better suited presenting new products to us Mac Heads.