Who Will Wait For The iPhone Mini?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EPA1, May 19, 2008.

1. EPA1 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I had a post up before describing what a source said to me was a tablet type mac that fit inside of a computer, he also described a small iPhone like device with a clear protective glass screen that flipped up. I thought he was talking about the tablet, so when I rendered it, I sort of melded the two ideas. To clear things up, the tablet is the tablet (no glass cover as rendered) and the device with the clear glass cover is the iPhone mini. This came apparent to me when I saw the below image in a magazine. Believe it or not, this is exactly what he descried to me (and he is no technogeek). He also mentioned a functional OLED keyboard called the "Keyboard Touch", which was also in the magazine, but not pictured here. Once I saw this image, it all came together. What was described to me was not a tablet at all, but the iPhone Mini. According to him, this was a working phone (prototype) that was being displayed at an internal Apple seminar. This one may not be coming in the next few weeks, but I can believe something like this is not too far out.

Enjoy
    EPA1:)

Attached Files:

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Umm no. For a clamshell I'd want something narrower. Inch narrower and inch longer. Still not gonna wait though cuz I prefer candybar type phones.

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

if you look at the picture on the phone you will see that it says verzion were att should be on the phone... my dad has this magazine

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Looks pretty cool. This is one thing, if true and that is a big if, I would have to see in person to get a feel for what it's all about. Not sure what benefit it would offer over the current iPhone. I could see this as being an original prototype that was presented to Mr. Jobs as the original iPhone, but not sure we would ever see this style come to production.

Although, there was the iPhone flip concept that we heard about a month or so back in another rumor. Hmmm

EDIT: Oooo, let me be the first to say it. Verizon and Sprint, here is your iPhone. Ha. Also, to add to the original iPhone concept, there is no YouTube app.

5. EPA1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting...an image for things to come maybe? Once the 5 year deal is up, maybe Verizon will get the flip and AT&T will stay with the candy bar?:rolleyes:

EPA1

6. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Amazing how all these future iPhones are all running the beta iPhoneOS Steve showed off at MWSF07 :rolleyes:

7. newyorksole macrumors 68030

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Wait for a product that there's no guarantee would ever exist? Not so much.

And why would Apple create a flip phone? That seems like a complete waste of space and total 180 from what the iPhone is. The only things they make that flip are MacBooks. If there is an iPhone Mini/Nano, it will be a smaller version of the iPhone. Iffn you don't believe me, check out the iPod Mini/Nano.

9. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Lets do it.

iPhone 4TB with Wireless N anyone?

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Hell no, the iPhone's size is one of the things I like best about it. Everyone else is trying to make their phones tiny little things with small low-res screens, but the iPhone is large enough to actually be useful.

11. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

$5 says His Steveness already has one ;)

12. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

i would rather risk going all in, in poker instead of taking that risky bet. Steve's Time Capsule probably sends him forward in time so he can come back with 128TB micro flash cards:D mmm, only about 8 years away, iCantwait:D

13. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I really like the idea of an iPhone nano, and would consider giving up my current iPhone if one came out...but, I really don't care for the look of that one, honestly.

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Ok I said this before and i'll say it again (and I'm sure I'll repeat myself in every thread), there won't be a iPhone nano.

Just because there's an iPod nano, you think there's gonna be an iPhone nano because why..........?

It's not gonna happen. Apple would have to make 2 separate pieces of software for the 'flip' one or 'nano' whatever you wanna call it, and not only that, they're not going to make a smaller version of the iPhone either! If they create smaller screen real-estate, then another billion pieces of code have to be written just because there would be less icons on the screen, and all the apps (mail youtube calendar photos calculator etc) have to be redone as well.

15. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Because perhaps some of us feel that there is a market for such a product? I would love a phone that would sync flawlessly and completely with my address book, calendar, and iTunes and was 2/3 the size of the current iPhone. In fact, the size of the iPhone was the biggest reservation I had about the iPhone. I don't *need* the full internet or some of the other things the iPhone offers, even though they are nice to have.

Furthermore, I'm sure a lot less code would have to be adjusted than to make the code up from scratch. By your reasoning, having to create, from scratch, all that code should have been enough to prevent Apple from creating the first iPhone. Why would they do all of that? Why would they create a phone in the first place?

16. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

There will be an iPhone Nano/Mini because there is a HUGE market for it with teens and the 70% + of the cell phone consumer market that can't afford an expensive smart phone with a data plan.

It will not look like that hideous and ridiculous clam phone (definitely an early iPhone prototype), it will look like my mock-up below. It is also perfectly feasible if they only slightly shrunk the screen to say 2.8 inches but kept it the same pixel resolution as the iPhone and enable universal landscape keyboards in all apps. Haven't there been sources saying something along those lines??? Oh yes, there have been :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't even think Apple would need to create a new device to implement something like an iPhone Nano. Really, we're just talking about having an iPod Touch with a cellular phone in it. You just have basically what the iPhone is now and either don't include the cellular data guts (if it's separate from the phone guts) or just make the software slightly different so it can only use data on WiFi.

Of course, this could just be a damn option AT&T gives you and they keep selling the same phones without data plans.

18. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Haha - awesome!

pac

19. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I do want just a basic iPhone with apple styling but cheaper and with no premium over other plans per month.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Who will wait? Not me. The iPhone is the perfect size for me. I don't want to use a smaller keyboard or anything silly like that.

21. darrellishere macrumors 6502

I want an iphone for the youth market too. eg offical none contract phone please.

Basically a thinner!!!/lighter!!!! iphone

minus the 3g-gps-heavy metal body and scratch prone bezzle .. and slippery-ness.

Wifi & edge only. Go on a diet iphone.

(The ipod mini went on a diet and became the nano!!
    :apple: Need to steel some of samsungs phone designers. And really experience thin :) OWW Baby!!

PS! One model dose not fit all!! Nokia's come in all shapes and sizes, just like ipods do to!

;)

22. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Take your iPod nano and put it against your ear and then hold it there for an hour and let me know how sore your palm gets...

It's not going to happen! And like I said already, but seems to be ignored by all the people that want it so bad, Apple would need to create new software for this 'nano', and I don't see that happening.

23. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Why? They wouldn't have to re-create the wheel, just modify the current iPhone OS. Not much would be different except some code to work the "flip". Hardware seems to be more of the issue to me. The OS is the easy part...

24. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Ya and then recreate, text, calendar, photos, camera, youtube, stocks, maps, weather, clock, CALCULATOR ESPECIALLY, notes, mail, and the phone features so it fits the screen properly. Of course they would probably have to modify where some of the new buttons go since they've lost space.

Then not only that, there would be 2 separate software updates that they would have to deal with.

And then people who got the Dev. Kit would probably wanna create software for both phones, so they'd have to create 2 pieces of software so each can run on both the iPhone and this iPhone 'nano' you people think is gonna come out.

RIGHT......... :rolleyes:

25. TheOrioles33 macrumors 6502

Sorry Guys

But the idea of an iPhone Nano is pretty stupid.