Who will wait to buy Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iDisk, Mar 22, 2011.


Poll on Lion

  1. Not going to upgrade, going to stick with SL

  2. I'm buying at launch no matter what, cause I love Apple

  3. waiting 1-3 months until reviews come in

  4. Screw Lion, waiting for next OS Release

    0 vote(s)
  1. iDisk macrumors 6502a


    Jan 2, 2010
    Menlo Park, CA
    Here's the question in play, ever since Apple eliminated the "computer" title from their company name (in 2007), we have seen a gradual lack of quality control regarding OS X software. Tiger was a great release, Leopard had some issues but wasn't far behind tiger as a really great release ....Then the chips hit the wall with Snow Leopard, epic fail from launch, not until 10.6.4 or 5 was when the real Snow Leopard showed up (meaning the one they should have launched with). So with this history, who will wait to upgrade to lion?

    Lion looks great, but All of Apples new OS's "look" great. So who will wait? and how long?


    P.S. when the OS's like snow leopard were a big fail, the other applications followed suit, like Aperture 3 and iLife 11 were really buggy during launch.
  2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

    Jun 29, 2008
    I was on 10.4 up until just recently, upgraded to 10.6 just a couple of months ago and so avoided all the point-releases. (Or point-point-releases, to be precise.)

    I used to be a real upgrade maniac, but I'm now of the mindset that if it works, it's good enough... Maybe I'll jump to 10.8 whenever that hits, depending on future software requirements etc.
  3. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

    Charlie Sheen

    Mar 9, 2011
    I'm waiting for a few weeks or maybe months. I don't want to end up having some problems that come with it.
  4. Consultant macrumors G5


    Jun 27, 2007
    Voted waiting 1-3 months. Might get at launch.

    Had a leopard t-shirt but think ex-girlfriend took it. =/
  5. CMelton macrumors regular


    Dec 8, 2008
    London, UK
    There needs to a be a "Waiting for new hardware to hit after launch to upgrade at the same time". option.

    That would be my vote.
  6. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Jan 8, 2005
    10.3.0 had a bug that erased external hard drives in restart.
    10.4.0 had a ton of bugs and security issues with Dashboard, more than 10.5 had.

    I think if you want a safe stable OS, wait till 10.x.2/10.x.3.
  7. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus


    Sep 8, 2010
    I started as a Mac user with Tiger and when Leopard came out I upgraded right away. Then I did the same with Snow Leopard and upgraded right away.

    I have never had any problems at all in my experience and I do not consider SL an epic failure.

    So I do plan on upgrading to Lion when it comes out too.
  8. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    Gonna wait until at least 10.7.3 just like i did with the Leopard>Snow Leopard update. I stop doing 10.x.0 upgrades since Tiger. It'll also have to cost less than $80/£50 else i'd be happy to stay with Snow Leopard.
  9. ufkdo macrumors 6502

    Oct 30, 2010
    I'll be one of the first buyers if it is released on App Store (they will most likely do that)
  10. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502


    Mar 12, 2011
    Somewhere in Cyberspace
    My thoughts on this..

    While I plan on getting Lion.. I might wait it out until all the bugs or most of the bugs have been taken out.. For my needs, which there are very few with my mac pro, I am perfectly fine with Snow Leopard + I need rosetta capability.. I am aware that Lion preview does not have rosetta, but who is to say that it may/may not be included as an add on with the final revision?

    Like any OS, I always wait to see most of the bugs gone from it before I make it my primary OS.
  11. G4DP macrumors 65816

    Mar 28, 2007
    9.0.0 was a fail.

    9.0.2 was a stable update.

    9.2.2 was a good way to finish.

    10.0.0 was so horrible it put me off 10.x until 10.4

    10.4.0 had small little problems, did not encounter anything major.

    10.5.0 was a let down, considering all the hype Apple gave it - no problems encountered

    10.6.0 was the Leopard we should have got - no problems encountered.

    To get the biggest recent fail, you need to go back to the original OS X.

    Although I have to agree with the OP. Apple are clearly no longer fully on the ball with what used to be the main point of owning a Mac. I think we'll give Lion a couple of updates before we purchase a copy.
  12. OneMike macrumors 603


    Oct 19, 2005
    I'm going to buy at launch no matter what... unless there is a line.
  13. Consultant macrumors G5


    Jun 27, 2007
    Oh noes......... no lines. =p
  14. iDisk thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jan 2, 2010
    Menlo Park, CA
    Thats the same mindset im set on, I like and enjoy snow leopard right now, and I'm really understanding all the hidden gems in OS X overall (digging deep in the OS if you will).

    Same (but still on the fence about it)

    Lol I have the black leopard shirt too, gave mine to my mom (outgrew it)

    That really wouldn't matter, Apple like to add the hype though to make you think so.;)


    Well I'm glad you had a good experience, Just to many users were somewhat turned off with the QC at 1 infinite loop. I got on the snow leopard train at 10.6.6, so no complaints here


    Thats one of things that concerns me, with Apple, they never really provide a viable replacement for things they eliminate. what quickly comes to mind is "shake", and video users are still waiting for that replacement.

    (This question is for everyone) .... Why do you think the QC at Apple has suffered so much??, its not only with OS X but with iOS as well, I mean apple is really needing to step up the QC, its not like they can't afford to.... It seems like they get the OS's ready just enough, and send consumers beta releases and then just do 1.x.x updates until the next "major" release. Its a subtle pattern I'm noticing..... IM not saying apple is going to lose trust with consumers etc.. but its a pattern that can turn into that imo... what are your thoughts everyone??
  15. tcador macrumors 6502

    Jan 16, 2008
  16. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030


    Jul 7, 2009
    I work across the street from an Apple store, I'll walk over and pick it up at lunch the day of release.
  17. Mal macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2002
    I disagree with your basic premise about falling standards. If anything, I've seen better and better standards, although in reality I think it's stayed mostly the same.

    As for Lion, I'll be loading it up on day 1 almost certainly, but I'd advise most of the people I know to wait for a month or so to let the initial bugs all be found and rooted out.

  18. dj-anon, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

    dj-anon macrumors member


    Mar 23, 2011
    I'll wait until Pro Tools officially supports Lion and M-Audio releases drivers for my interface. Won't wait any longer, though.
  19. VacantPsalm macrumors member

    Sep 21, 2010
    I'll buy it as soon as I can, which will be within the hour it's available if I can buy it online. But I won't actually use it as my primary install right away.

    It's basically going to be the same as when I need a clean start. I install it in a partition, then slowly move over to it while I keep my old install around for work stuff. Once I move over / install enough things then I'll remove the old partition, move the new one in it's space and boop, done.
  20. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

    Oct 17, 2007
    Didn't upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard until 10.6.6. Probably won't upgrade to Lion until around 10.7.3 or higher. Gotta make sure all my stuff will work.

    I'm just waiting for the "I just upgraded my *business* machine to Lion and now I can't access my data/my apps don't work/it's all screwed up/I'm losing money" thread. Seems to happen every time right after launch.

Share This Page