Who will win - Bodega or The Mac App Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blakeasd, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Blakeasd macrumors 6502a

I am curious to know who will win. Bodega the first "app store" the came out in 2009, or The Mac App Store. I am placing my bets on The Mac App Store by Apple because it comes with the OS and because Bodega is not known by the average user. So what does every one else thing. Bodega or The Mac App Store?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I like Bodega

Plus, as far as I am aware, devs don't have to give up 30% either

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I havent a clue about this "Bodega" but I know I'll always buy my games through Steam over the app store.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

The advantage of Bodega is that it allows you to update your existing apps no matter how you installed them. I do not think Bodega will be around much longer as they are not aggressive enough when it comes to advertising.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never heard of bodega and I suspect most Mac users haven't either. Now all Mac users who updated to 10.6.6 will know about it the Mac app store. Plus the knowledge that apple is verifying the apps should give consumers a level of safety

Apple has a winner on their hands

6. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

I know this answer.

The answer is: The Mac App Store.

7. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

So how does Bodega survive?

Bodega has expenses (web hosting is probably their main expense). Even if they were running as a non-profit, they'd need money to cover their expenses.

8. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure why someone always has to "win". It is entirely possible for different platforms to co-exist.

However, if winning is determined by the number of active users, then it wouldn't surprise me if the App store is already ahead.

Personally, I've never heard of Bogeda, let along used it. Like many Mac owners whose OS has updated, I have used the Mac App store. Even if people have not purchased anything through the App store yet, I suspect most have at least had a look.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Developers pay them 7% but still have overhead. The developer still has to maintain a web site with store and deal with their own hosting, credit card and selling expenses.

Never heard of Bodega until today. That can't bode well for them.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As I posted, I think given the integration of MAS, I don't think they'll be able to compete even if apple takes a larger cut of the sales

11. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

And that is exactly the reason why it should be illegal for Apple to bundle iTunes, Quick Time, Safari, GarageBand, iMovie, iPhoto and the Mac App Store with their operating systems and/or computers. They should at least be forced like Microsoft in Europe to show a "download a browser of your choice" dialogue, but this should be extended to offer alternatives to the other applications as well.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The difference is that apple does not have a monopoly, and you can easily install competing products.

Nobody is stopping the consumer from using something else, and correct me if I'm wrong but you can uninstall safari (dragging it to the trash) something that cannot be done with IE

Ms was using its monopoly to squelch competition, that's not what apple is doing as it does not have the marketshare in those areas to squelch competition

13. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Not to contradict Connor MacLeod, the greatest sage of our time (or any time), but there can be more than one. All of the ways to buy Mac software that have existed continue to exist. And now there is one more way.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

15. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I like both.

However, Bodega really is an unknown. And I have no idea why they chose that name, it's not catch at all :(

16. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I had heard of bodega before the app store came along but never really had much interest in looking in to it, now that the mac app store has been forced upon us, I do take a look once in a while. In the long term my money would be on the app store. Not surprising really

17. SannyD macrumors newbie

while i chicken hawk when apps are going to be released on the mac app store...bodega has apps faster or just period that apple doesnt have or have yet.
    i use both. i just heard about bodega but wish i heard about it sooner.

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

What rubbish. The whole idea of the app store is so you can download apps, whether it be iLife or an alternative to iLife, it makes no difference. They are not forcing you to buy iMovie, unlike Windows, in where IE is part of the OS so you have no choice but to have it.

Don't like iMovie? Don't buy it. Here is a tonne of movie based apps for Mac in the App Store you can have instead. Don't like IE? Tough luck, you're having it even though you can have another web browser as default anyway.

I really don't see the logic behind your post. How the hell is the App Store illegal?

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you look at Winni's posts you'll see he's LTD's alter ego, in so far as posting only negatives when it comes to Apple.

I'm not apple fan boy and I don't like how they operate at times, but I do like their products and how they fit a need for me. Winni seems to be on a crusade here at MR (elsewhere?) to bash anything apple.