Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
If you are receiving Series 4 next week, do you have a list of other Series 4 people to walkie-talkie with? I don't know a single person who will also have a Series 4. Or is the feature available on Series 3 with a software upgrade?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
If you are receiving Series 4 next week, do you have a list of other Series 4 people to walkie-talkie with? I don't know a single person who will also have a Series 4. Or is the feature available on Series 3 with a software upgrade?

Available to anyone that can install watchOS 5. That’ll mean S1 up.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Available to anyone that can install watchOS 5. That’ll mean S1 up.

Oh I thought you have to have cellular to walkie-talkie. So you are saying the feature works through wi-fi? If that's the case it won't work unless your phone is connected to wi-fi?

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Oh my gosh you all are right!! I have a Series 3 and I am running watchOS 5 Beta and Walkie-Talkie app is on my watch!! I didn't notice until now. It works!!

I was sacrificing financially to get Watch 4 and iPhone Xs Max because I wanted the heart monitor and walkie-talkie. Well since heart monitor is not being released at launch and since I already have walkie-talkie, I can wait until heart monitor is available to buy the watch. I can better afford watch 4 a little further down the road and comfortably by the iPhone now. Thanks everyone!!!

Nixle

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2014
Canada
Speaking if this feature has anyone been able to invite somebody to this app, always stuck on Invites..GF watch is the same and one of my friend too.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I think the only person I would probably communicate this way with would be my wife, but she has no interest in an Apple Watch.

I'm also thinking that this feature could become a public nuisance the way push-to-talk or external speaker conversations have been (at least in my opinion). I've been in the grocery store, on the bus, and in other public places when someone was using the external speaker to have a phone conversation, or push-to-talk, and found it so annoying. It's hard to have a quiet conversation that way, so you end up having a very loud and very public conversation. At least when someone is just having a normal mobile phone conversation with the phone speaker we hear only one side of the conversation, and it can be kept to a lower volume. Texting is so much more civil when you are in a public place where a loud conversation will be disruptive.

That said I can see situations and places when it would not disrupt anyone, and would be a convenient way to have quick exchanges of information. As with texting, I would think this feature would be used mostly with close family and friends.

Thinking through this a little more, I'm starting to think my mother should have and wear an Apple Watch s4. She lives alone and is at an age when the fall detection would be a good idea (although a life alert kind of thing you don't have to charge as often might be better). She might like the walkie talkie feature though. She and I exchange texts a lot, but she is not terribly fast at typing on a small screen.
[doublepost=1537212595][/doublepost]The group I'd be comfortable using Walkie Talkie with is only slightly more populated than the group I'd exchange Apple Watch heart beats with :p

The only individuals in that very small group who have Apple Watches are my wife's sister and her husband.

Last edited:
Reactions: iPhysicist

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Speaking if this feature has anyone been able to invite somebody to this app, always stuck on Invites..GF watch is the same and one of my friend too.
Yes mine is stuck too.

fullsizeoutput_2d8.jpeg

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
I don't even see the app on my watch or phone app, it is just not there, after updating both phone and watch.

Have you installed watch OS 5? On your phone open the Watch app and look under General>>>About. What is the Version number?

Stygma

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2018
Have you installed watch OS 5?
Yes, I figured it out, I deleted the FaceTime App on my phone because you can still access FaceTime through the contacts in the phone app.

You must have FaceTime installed, so I re-installed it on my phone and the Walkie-Talkie app appeared on my watch after a restart.

Reactions: Darrensk8

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Yes, I figured it out, I deleted the FaceTime App on my phone because you can still access FaceTime through the contacts in the phone app.

You must have FaceTime installed, so I re-installed it on my phone and the Walkie-Talkie app appeared on my watch after a restart.

Ok I didn't know that. Glad you have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.