Who wishes there was a matte display option?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryox, Oct 15, 2008.

?

How many people want matte screens?

1. I wish there was a Matte option

49 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. I like Glossy screen anyway

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

The new MBPs have iMac Like Glass Displays. While I have nothing against glossy, I prefer matte screens. I'm a photographer and I'm often out in the field, usually in the wide open.
    Although I'm not looking to upgrade at all, I'm wondering how many people on this site wishes apple still had a matte option available.

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

Given the massive amount of posts complaining about the removal of the matte display in the past day I would say it's quite a few.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

4. dougnewman macrumors 6502

I'd certainly prefer a matte display and this has influenced my decision to not buy a new MBP.

5. chukwithak macrumors member

I understand your concerns in not having an option for matte screens, but it's still a fixable situation where as having them made matte, you cant make them shiny. Besides, shiny just look classier.

6. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

I'd prefer a matte display, but I think all the other great features make up for it. :)

Glossy is still infinitely better than using Windows. :D

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I use an PowerBook which is matte, and a MacBook Pro which is glossy.

I much prefer glossy. Here's why:

Both of them have the same color accuracy, the same depth of black and brightness of white. Both of them reflect light when there's something bright behind me. The difference is that when there's a reflection of something behind me on the matte screen, it's very blurred and dispersed. The same reflection on the glossy screen is crystal clear. I think this is an important difference because my brain can sort of identify and remove/ignore the well defined reflection from the glossy screen, but it can't do the same with the blurry ambiguous reflection on the matte.

Another argument is that you can tilt or turn your mac to avoid the worst reflections using a glossy display, but the matte display reflects light from all random angles so you can't turn one way to avoid them.

I would like to have a choice, but as a shareholder I think that it makes good business sense to stick with one option, and the best option is glossy.

8. bkeezy macrumors newbie

I think most peoples main problem with the glossy screen (at least mine) isn't necessarily the glare its more the over-saturated colors. I am no color correction specialized but in my web development experience even working with web safe colors i have gotten bad results when moving from a glossy to any other type of screen and it's not nearly as bad vice versa.

On the topic of glare though I have also heard the argument that with the additional glare (you do see more with the glossy thats undisputed, not sure what you spilled on your matte screen :) ) is that each time your brain sees something in the glare whether you try to ignore it or not you are focusing off the screen for a split second and this focus/refocus pattern will cause strain over time... still all just theories, but makes sense also

9. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Personally I like the glossy screens; however, I am all about choice (which is why im a lefty) so I think if the demand is high enough, maybe Apple should rethink this, and offer a matte option... :eek:

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I wish there were a matte option on every Apple computer.

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I have no problems with glossy but I also like options. I look forward to third-party glare reduction options.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The question itself is stupid, as are the answers. Sorry, but true.

I don't know who the 26 selfish folks are who don't even wish there were a matte option for those people who want it.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

so who thinks if we complain loudly enough apple will make this an option?

15. Vitek macrumors newbie

I don't like matte displays but I think Apple should have made it an option for the people that want it

16. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

17. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

LOL. So true. :p

18. agbot macrumors regular

If you complain here http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html the odds would improve, but I don't have a lot of faith that Apple will budge at all on this particular issue.

I suppose I personally lean towards matte, but can live with glossy. Either way, it was nice to have the choice.

19. Aranince macrumors 65816

I went to the Apple store tonight and was the first to get my hands on their display Macbook Pro. I really love the glossy screen. Honestly, the preference for glossy and mate are do to people's ability to focus their eyes. Some people can focus on the screen easily(me) and others can only focus on the glare.

20. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The glossy screen looks very vibrant and when one looks at it in a store under floodlights, it really shines. But upon further examination, there is a glare present that doesn't exist in the matte lcd screen.

Apple will definitely see the light and offer a matte option or even drop the glassy and reflective gloss lcd screen. Apple is about elegant function and the glossy reflective lcd screen is not very functional.