Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KensaiMage

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2017
32gb of lpddr4 is coming in 2019, probably not sooner.
2020 will bring a redesign which may include a successor to the touch bar and touch id.

Thus - it might be the most wise to buy a new mbp in 2020.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
2020 will bring a redesign which may include a successor to the touch bar and touch id.

I'm still on a 2012 rMBP and I only delayed getting a 2017 MBP because I was hoping I can get a 2018 with 32GB RAM. If that is not going to happen, I'll need to decide if I get a 2018 or get a good deal on a 2017. I'm also waiting for a new Apple display to pair with the new MBP.

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
Japan
Honestly, while I'm also waiting for the RAM ceiling on the MBP to be bumped up, this topic has already been beaten to death countless times.

We have been knowing for quite a while that LPDDR4 won't be coming this year. Those who really need 32GB for professional purposes will either wait or look for alternatives (other vendors, a desktop, etc.), those who are fine with 16 GB will do whatever depending on their needs. I don't think there's really anything new to discuss on this front.

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012

You 32gigers are few and far between. There are millions of people around the world who are using their MBPs with 4, 8 and 16GB of RAM with zero issues. As a matter of fact, there are probably more 8GB users than anyone else, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Sure, 32GB will eventually become an option for the MBP, but who really wants that and why?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Michaelhuisman

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Netherlands
[QUOTE="but who really wants that and why?[/QUOTE]

Musicians who perform with MainStage. DJs/Musicians who perform with Ableton Live... Realtime audio really is rocket science computing, with an audience who paid to see you watching...

For regular Word, Excel, Email stuff, completely agree that > 16 is unwarranted, but seriously, hitting 16 GB for a regular 90-120 minute concert is really easy to reach.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
LinusTech recently published a video about how much RAM you need in 2018 and he said 8 GBs is good enough. 16 GBs can actually be slower in some cases.

I think what most of us here are looking for is bang for buck. Even when Apple makes 32 GBs available, it will be an option you likely have to pay for on the 15 inch model. You are not gonna get it standard. If they do make it standard, you likely will have to pay more for it.

Reactions: chabig

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
I tried exporting a 16gb file (4K video) recently and was unable to do that because it ran out of RAM.

So yes, 32gb may be necessary for some.

Ticinosthetics

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2018

It's annoying that the actual mac switch and close all my apps when the RAM is full, and this happen continuously. I need to use only few apps to not overload the ram, but this is not a solution. I wait until the 32GB is come out. Hope that 4 TB SSD is available too. 16GB Ram are good for normal users, but not when you have pro goals.

Producinator

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2018
Man, does it get tiring to hear people saying "who needs 32GB?" If you don't need it, good for you. I am a musician and music producer. Music is my job. My MacBook Pro is my recording studio. And 16GB worked for a while. But it doesn't anymore. And, since carrying a iMac around in a bag isn't practical, I'll just have to wait. But please, don't ever think you're so smart that you can tell others what they need and what they don't. People who depend on their MacBooks for a living know what they need. It's called a "Pro" for a reason...or so the music and/or video professional assumed. For the "millions" of others, there's a very nice selection of MacBooks for them.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Last I remember, this all hinged upon Intel getting the Cannon Lake Processors out in large enough volumes that Apple would use it. If I remember correctly anything less than Cannon Lake was unable to support the LPDDR4 memory that would be required to fit into a slim MBP chassis.

Currently expectations are that it'll be a whole year until yield issues are fully resolved and it can produce these new 10nm chips in volume. Then there's the question of if Apple will take a bite out of that given that they're been pondering going for their own in-house CPU.

Aside from that, Coffee Lake is out now I think, but that supports the desktop DDR4 memory which probably takes it out of contention from a MacBook pro.

Producinator

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2018
Last I remember, this all hinged upon Intel getting the Cannon Lake Processors out in large enough volumes that Apple would use it. If I remember correctly anything less than Cannon Lake was unable to support the LPDDR4 memory that would be required to fit into a slim MBP chassis.

Currently expectations are that it'll be a whole year until yield issues are fully resolved and it can produce these new 10nm chips in volume. Then there's the question of if Apple will take a bite out of that given that they're been pondering going for their own in-house CPU.

Aside from that, Coffee Lake is out now I think, but that supports the desktop DDR4 memory which probably takes it out of contention from a MacBook pro.

Apple says it won't put DDR4 in a new MacBook Pro with Coffee Lake because it will kill the battery life. I fully understand that I am in a tiny, tiny minority of those who would gladly trade more memory for less battery life. My MBP spends maybe 10% of it's time on battery. The best thing that could happen in my opinion? For Apple to make macOS platform independent and allow me to run it on any hardware that I choose. I'm not holding my breath for that...lol...

Reactions: mdbradigan

lpolarityl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2009
Ohio
I honestly think the new MBP 15" should come standard with 16GB (like it always has) and come with a hex-core processor option. There should be an upgrade option for 32GB and even 64GB of memory as well. Sure, it will be very expensive, but at least the option is there. I also think the new MBP 13" should have the option for 16GB and 32GB of memory, and there should also be a quad core option.

Reactions: inkhorn

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Apple says it won't put DDR4 in a new MacBook Pro with Coffee Lake because it will kill the battery life. I fully understand that I am in a tiny, tiny minority of those who would gladly trade more memory for less battery life. My MBP spends maybe 10% of it's time on battery. The best thing that could happen in my opinion? For Apple to make macOS platform independent and allow me to run it on any hardware that I choose. I'm not holding my breath for that...lol...

Then you need a desktop not a laptop.

Apple is a hardware and services company their software is purely to make the best of those sales.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
To accommodate these users the best choice would be a slightly larger system that had more connectors (USB A and TB3) and user upgradable memory and drives. Dell does this with their XPS 15. And uses DDR4 (not LP) and gets over 8 hours on a 99 Wh battery so I don't know what Apple is talking about.

Maybe some future version of the MBP would be so configured, but that would be going against the Apple's "we know better than you".

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't need 32GB, in fact my iMac has been happily running on 8GB. Other components are higher on my priority list then 32GB of ram.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I don't need 32GB, in fact my iMac has been happily running on 8GB. Other components are higher on my priority list then 32GB of ram.

in general now that I've stepped up to 32GB, I'm unwilling to downgrade unless the notebook is for lighter use.

Key being if you don't need more than 16GB of RAM you will never know or really care, however if you do requre more RAM the difference is noticeable.

Q-6

Reactions: mdbradigan

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
I plan of keeping my Fully Loaded 2016 MBP until 2020 or until it no longer does the function it's designed to do. 32GB of RAM sounds nice, but I've never had a issue even editing 4K video with 16GB of RAM. Personally I'd love to see the Return of a 17" MBP but I highly doubt that will happen. The people who actually need 32GB or 64GB of RAM either have a desktop or one of those huge windows laptops that aren't really laptops. 32GB of RAM will happen sooner or later on the MBP but the main driver of performance will be the 6 core cpus and better video card not the RAM. The minimum requirements for Final Cut Pro X is 4GB of RAM and 8GB is recommend for 4K video editing and other effects. So 16GB is plenty to work with. I remember last year I was editing 4K video in FCPX while having safari open and Photoshop open with over 30 RAW images. I had zero slow down or issues, to the point that I didn't realize how many things I had open until I was almost finished working. I wonder how many people who complain about not having 32GB of RAM actually need it.
I'm curious what video card they are going to use, since the 460 and 560 are identical and offer the customer zero performance difference. I'd like to see 8GB of video memory, that would great and have a nice impact on performance in things like FCP.

Last edited:

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010

It's wiser to buy it in 2021 :p. That way any problems in the first gen of the redesign will be (hopefully) fixed in the following year's refresh. For example, the 2016's MBP's butterfly keyboard. It was somewhat fixed (not as bad, but not entirely) in the 2017 refresh.

Guido Sales Calvano

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2018
I'm still on a 2012 rMBP and I only delayed getting a 2017 MBP because I was hoping I can get a 2018 with 32GB RAM. If that is not going to happen, I'll need to decide if I get a 2018 or get a good deal on a 2017. I'm also waiting for a new Apple display to pair with the new MBP.
I am in exactly the same boat. I've been waiting for 3 years for them to release a better computer than what I have but expanding my current system is BETTER than buying a new MB"P" (I installed 16GB, works fine, have a 750GB hard disk crammed with data sets and could expand this with an EXTRA SSD of 1TB for a total of 1.75TB which you can't even do with the new laptops)

Out of despair I'm playing around with AWS to fill the gap and I'm getting desperate enough to get a linux laptop. Especially because by the time apple finally gets off its lazy ass and releases a 32GB system it will probably be impossible to work practically without 64GB. Friends of mine have already left.

Tim Cook is completely botching the MBP series. They do not even remotely meet my professional needs anymore and haven't for a very long time. It has been so long since I've come close to being impressed by anything they released that they managed to kill of almost all the goodwill I have left. They've become a mediocre company which is just incredibly sad given how awesome they were.

sodaNine

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2018
Florida
If you're doing 4k video that needs a ton of ram surely your best solution would be a desktop. Yeah I understand some people will need mobility but that is mostly a small fraction of people.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I am in exactly the same boat. I've been waiting for 3 years for them to release a better computer than what I have but expanding my current system is BETTER than buying a new MB"P" (I installed 16GB, works fine, have a 750GB hard disk crammed with data sets and could expand this with an EXTRA SSD of 1TB for a total of 1.75TB which you can't even do with the new laptops)

Out of despair I'm playing around with AWS to fill the gap and I'm getting desperate enough to get a linux laptop. Especially because by the time apple finally gets off its lazy ass and releases a 32GB system it will probably be impossible to work practically without 64GB. Friends of mine have already left.

Tim Cook is completely botching the MBP series. They do not even remotely meet my professional needs anymore and haven't for a very long time. It has been so long since I've come close to being impressed by anything they released that they managed to kill of almost all the goodwill I have left. They've become a mediocre company which is just incredibly sad given how awesome they were.

Only current practical solution is to switch to Windows or Linux. Waiting for Apple now is simply futile, the cost in productivity alone dictates the move. I know more and more who are stepping up to 32Gb, with some even looking to 64Gb, all professionally related.

Current MBP is now just a nice consumer product, with Apple not remotely interested in retaining it's professional audience. We are simply too few in number, likely too demanding, nor overly impressed by merely tricks and bells...

Apple today just wants easiest route to production and easiest way to extract $$$$ from it's customers. The vision is long gone, replaced by mediocrity...

Q-6

cyberdocwi

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
Wisconsin
Hello,
You may wish to run linux on an older MacBook Pro. I am using Fedora Linux on my MacBook Pro 17" from 2009 (or so) that has the 4 GB RAM cap on it. Works well, no dongles, and if my MBP 2013 goes up in smoke, I may look again at the slightly older MBP to take its place.

Why?

I have several MagSafe adapters. Works with the external displays I have. I am in computer network support, and need ethernet adapters, RAM to run virtual machines in for testing, and desire a dongle-less existence. Laptops are also compatible with normal SSD drives out there.

Reactions: robvas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.