Who would buy an iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boesky, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Boesky macrumors 6502

Instead of a 3G S? I want an iPhone, but I Dont think I can afford the $300 32GB 3G S. Is there a 32GB iPhone 3G?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

People would buy a 3G to save money b/c they will not use all of the features of the 3GS.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

No, the 3G is only available with 8GB now. For 16GB or 32GB you have to get the 3GS.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You answered your own question. You should search craigslist for a 16GB 3G.

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

My mom. Seriously, she just got one. She does not need the features and doesn't care about size. Shed rather save $100.

6. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

I think this just flew right over your head lol

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

What do you mean? Did you read his post or only the title? He asked if the 3G is available with 32GB...

8. Boesky thread starter macrumors 6502

What features of the 3GS? Besides a video camera...?

What?!? Only 8GB for the 3G? Wow..:eek:

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My entire family did as they came from moto razrs and frankly the 3G is amazing to them.

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

They discontinued the 16GB 3G model. You may be able to find it on ebay or craigslist though... But no 32GB 3G.

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm not sure. It's not worth it to save just $100 when you're going to pay $75/month for the thing. There are too many extra features you miss between the $100 3G and $200 3GS to not just do it. Better still camera, add video camera, faster processor, more RAM, compass, 8GB more storage.

12. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Henry Blodget says:
    Got it?

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the speed difference alone is worth the extra mone. Throw in twice the storage, video, Nike+, compass, etc and it's a really easy decision. I know $100 can be a lot to some people, but the minimum plan is around $80/month when all is said and done, so I don't imagine most iPhone buyers are living hand to mouth.

14. davyreins macrumors 6502

Right. I wonder how many more people they brought in still offering the 3G at a lower price than they would have had they only offered the 3G S. For me, the initial extra money wouldn't be the main problem considering I'm paying so much per month. Then again, some people really may not care about the extra features the 3G S offers.

Had they somehow offered an iPhone with a cheaper data plan I would think they could get a lot more people because of the long term price difference. Maybe that initial cheaper price makes a bigger difference in deciding whether or not to get an iPhone than I think....

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Two of my brothers have setup their 3G iPhones with T-Mobile SIM cards and they are getting ready for 3G on T-Mobile any day now in the USA.....:cool::cool::cool:

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If AT&T ever stops requiring a $30 data plan and instead offers a very limited one for maybe $10, a TON of new people will buy iPhones. An iPhone 3G obviously wouldn't cost you the $600 or whatever without a contract now, so Apple and AT&T could work out some deal like this in the future. It'll take iPhone sales slowing down like mad for AT&T to figure this out, but it should happen at some point since there are only a limited number of us fools who will pay $30/month extra.

17. peperoni macrumors member

Or maybe they would just offer it in reasonable prices. I just ordered 3GS with 3,6Mbps data plan 10€/month. Also here in Finland you can freely customize the plan you want: data plan (limited or unlimited and speed), amount of minutes and texts. I guess the legislation here orders that the phone is billed separately (for 16GB, 0€ up first, 19€/month for 24 months) and customers can freely choose their phone plans.

18. QuadCoreDad macrumors member

It's up to you and most people who get the 3G will be those with a lower budget and, no, there is no 32GB 3G. :)

19. iOrlando macrumors 68000

one feature is speed...and you will notice the difference no matter what you do on it, so not sure what you mean by "not use the features" of 3GS.

i totally agree if you never had an iphone before, sure 3G will seem fine to you. But you have to admit you are missing out on a better 3GS. You can try to rationalize the decision, oh they dont need a good camera, fast processor, video camera, etc.. but you are only trying to find reinforcements for your original purchase. There's no problem with that--everyone does it.

and cost?

you will be spending upwards of $1500 over two years for the phone, so if $100 is a huge deal breaker now, something strange is occurring.

20. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Exactly

I have the 3G and am completely satisfied with it.

My games load up just fine, space is fine, and internet speed is good.

If someone wants a cheap $99 phone, i recommend to everyone the 3G

21. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

I have the 3g and my brother has the 3gs. The 3gs is faster, but its essentially the same phone. A better camera and better video,yes, but I do not rely on my phone for important pictures. The video camera quality of the 3gs is just not good enough to make me upgrade. The compass, I have no use for.