Who would like to see apple build a next generation gaming platform with iOS software

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by cmarsili, Oct 13, 2012.

1. cmarsili macrumors newbie

Not sure if anyone else had that feeling, but the other day I was sitting in front of my TV after loading up a game into my PS3. Instead of immediately start playing and enjoying a day away from reality, I got welcomed by a massive amount of useless tasks that threw my excitement for just having loaded a new game out the window.

First, the PS3 start saying I need a upgrade, AGAIN, so there I go, going through the steps (once again) to download and update the most boring procedure in the platform (why the hell do I need to watch this).

So obviously to kill time I decided to play a game on my iPad...for almost half an hour!!!! Bloody Sony PS3. Now, finally done, I browse through the menu back to my new game (noticed in the meantime the horrible interface). Click on the game and voila....loading....press start....loading....loading.....loading....argh...create new game...loading...more loading....and this continues for a while. After, I say, 5 to 10 minutes I finally start playing (oh did I mention a had to download and install a game update too?)

It was those moments in between loading and loading I had an moment (a lot apparently) and imagine a world where apple had developed a gaming platform. I imagine how it would look like, with its aluminium case, slick design, minimalistic features. Loading time almost down to zero. Interface simple and intuitive, OS system well built rarely needing upgrades and when it did it would be for the better. Gaming are downloaded from the cloud via App store, all next generation games would be available, loading time almost reduced and glitches are non existent.

Not to mention apple could integrate their Apple TV platform and get rid of a device that really did not catch up to the rest (I blame the stupid video industry for their stupidity and incompetence, but I guess it is just me and a topic for another time).

Now, I wonder how many people out there would think this would be a good idea. Anyone else out there or is it just me hallucinating between loading times? :D

Cheers

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have Playstation Plus, I don't see patch downloads or firmware updates any more. All that is handled automatically at 4am for me :).

But that said. Before I upgraded to Plus I used to just bounce over to my Xbox and play some games of Geometry Wars during heavy updates. And vice versa when my Xbox was updating.

Nope I wouldn't want an Apple console. I don't play consoles for the raw specs, what they sync to, what the infrastructure is like. I play consoles for the series I've loved for years. For those reasons I've played my Wii more than 360 and PS3 (although PS3 definitely took over the last year for me).

But you think load times are just for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft? Even downloaded games on my Vita (fast memory, new hardware) take ages to load. Load times are in every game. It's just the little iOS games you've been playing don't have much to load, or use UE3 and "stream" in the data.

But the
    line is pure comedy gold. Here's a wee fact- there is no QA control for iOS games. Console games have multiple levels of QA control. Manufacturers have to give approval at multiple stages along the way, you have to get age certifications, get approval from a 3rd party testing studio...

4. cmarsili thread starter macrumors newbie

That is why I say "Imagine" ;-)

I am sure if Apple put their minds to work on a gaming console it would be something to blow anyone's mind or at least the competition away. But again that is wishful thinking.

I just think they would do a much better job than the rest of the crowd.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Why do you think that?
    Why is it wishful thinking that established, highly successful brands in a crowded market place are overtaken by a platform with no approval system and a penchant for cheap, disposable games?
    Would it be more wishful thinking that games improved, rather than degraded as an art form?

6. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Other than using the mobile game market to sell more iPhones and iPads, Apple has no experience in the game industry. They own no IP that people want to play. They have little quality control and whitelist everything (that Slender Man ripoff has been near the top of the iOS charts for awhile now... same with all those Minecraft ripoffs). Their business model for iOS software encourages budget/freemium software and discourages AAA games.

Yeah we can imagine Apple could take over the videogame market (it's possible to imagine anything), but based on Apple's strengths and weaknesses, I don't see why we should.

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

If we are talking about a dedicated console, I don't see the point in them doing it. Esprcially if you could only buy time killer iOS type games.

8. -SD- macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't need to release a dedicated games console, it just needs to allow the :apple:tv access to the App Store. I've been considering this a fair bit recently.

Everyone seems to have accepted the fact that mobile games cost 69p, yet home console games are 35 quid. And it's always been that way.....

Except next year sees the release of Ouya, and these 69p games are now available on your telly. So imagine if there's an updated version of the :apple:tv released that includes a control pad similar to its competitor's. Suddenly you have thousands and thousands of iOS and Android games available on your TV.

Now obviously most of these games don't look good enough to be played on a 50" screen. But there's a lot that do, such as Infinity Blade, and these SOCs are only getting more powerful.

FIFA '13 is £4.99 on the App Store, and I expect next year's version will cost the same. Now explain to your missus why you need a £450 PlayStation4 to play the £35 version of the game.....

I honestly believe that, if handled correctly, the Ouya and a gaming enabled :apple:tv could really shake up the established market as we know it.

:apple:

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And development costs be damned?
    Mobile games can be sold cheap because almost everyone now has access to an Android or iOS device. The games are smaller, fewer overheads etc. That £4.99 FIFA isn't equal to the £30 console version. Is that iOS MGS4 rail shooter as good as MGS4 on the PS3?

Ouya games won't be 69p, not for the good ones at least. They're going to be in line with decent quality independent games on current consoles. Those prices are set because it's how money is made, you're not going to get those games at 69p. Look at Steam now; everyone has Steam but indie games are still priced at £5-10.

----------

The device you're playing iOS FIFA on is £600 unlocked, or £500 for the iPad.
    The device you're playing console FIFA on is £170 and has a 10x longer shelf life (1-year generation versus 10-year generation), or £300 if you bought at launch and still playing new releases.
    I imagine most missus' would get that ;)

10. -SD- macrumors 6502

Not when we're talking about Ouya or a gaming enabled :apple:tv. They're £100. So that's 105 quid. And a PS4 or new Xbox is going to be at least £350 on release, plus 49 quid for the game.

And no, I don't expect games to stay at 69p, that was just an example. The fact is these games are vastly less expensive than their console counterparts. Even the more expensive games like Chaos Rings are much less than any retail game.

Even at £10-15 for proper high quality software, Ouya and Apple have the power to really affect Sony and Microsoft.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Chaos Rings is £7.99 and feels like a £7.99 game. Funnily enough 2 years ago I bought FFXIII for £12, and the production values are a lot higher (and picked up XIII-2 not too long ago for £14 new too). And now you have FF3 and Tactics at the ridiculous price point of £15 on the app store.

How frequently are Ouya and Apple TV updates going to come out? How many generations will it take before they no longer support your console?
    High quality for a handheld/mobile game. Not high quality for a console game. You can even see it in existing markets now (Mario Galaxy against New Mario, Uncharted Vita against Uncharted 3).

12. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

So are we talking about Apple making an iOS type console to play 69p apps on your TV, or a console to challenge PlayStation and Xbox?

In the first instance, it could do OK with a low price point. People want to buy Apple stuff, so priced similarly to the ATV they could shift a few...... I wouldn't be interested, and I don't think many who use the console sub-forum would be either?

The second scenario I think is a lot more unlikely. I don't think Apple would have the slightest interest in entering the 'hard core' console market. As best I can tell, the reason that Sony and Msoft could turn a profit is their first party developers churning out established AAA games. They know the market, they have been doing it for years.

It boils down to one question; Can Apple offer AAA immersive games (I'm talking about Uncharted, Halo, GTA etc) at a significantly lower price point than PS or Xbox?

13. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

They're less expensive because you get what you pay for. On consoles people are looking forward to games like The Last of Us or Watch Dogs. On iOS, people get happy when GTA3, a decade old game, gets ported. I'm currently playing NBA 2K13 on PS3. NBA 2K13 on mobile is a joke. There's a quality gap because mobile is a budget market. Quality follows pricing, because dev studios need large profit potential to justify making AAA games in the first place.

Ouya is not gonna do anything. It's just an overhyped kickstarter posing as disruptive tech but makes little sense no matter what angle you spin it. As disruptive tech, OnLive made a lot more sense than Ouya, and it still failed for tech reasons as well as lack of first party IP. First party IP and the ability to create more of it is what Nintendo, Sony, and MS do well and is the reason for their success.

14. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

No thanks, I'm very happy with my Wii and PS3 and will be happy with my Wii U and PS4.